Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

OT - Malware is everywhere!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 10:58 AM
zuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to behold
OT - Malware is everywhere!

We have four cars in our family that have separate wheels and tires for summer and winter. Because of that, I have an Autel MaxiTPMS TS501 scanner that I use to reset the TPMS after each change. It works great and is an awesome device.
I brought it to work today to loan to a colleague and decided to update its firmware and database before giving it to him. You do that by inserting its SD card into your computer, downloading the update, then putting it back into the scanner.
I thought there was a pretty good chance that the update process could result in an infection, so I did a Windows Defender scan immediately afterward. Sure enough, it found a trojan that was installed today. It could have only come from the Autel update.
Last night my nephew called me. The copy of Microsoft Office he bought on Amazon resulted in someone attempting to scam $300 out of him during the registration process.
There are BAD people out there!