Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

v8v vs v12v - cost, depreciation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 07:10 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
My V8 manual stalled almost regularly. You need to be super conscious of where your RPM's are at an idle. As wicked as the engine sounds, it's darn near silent at idle. I found I could not just "auto pilot" the manual as we all do as second nature with other manuals. I had to pay more attention to avoid it stalling.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:37 AM
Jagman70 is on a distinguished road
It will will be interesting to see what effect the introduction of the newly redesigned Vantage will have on the value of existing cars. Not surprising that many are not fans of the look of the front end on the new car. Will that affect sales? Will the older Vantages become more valuable? Time will tell.

Old 03-11-2018, 02:17 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
This is my prediction: Some cars that do not get well received at first grow on people - others push away. Take the Cadillac CTS - the 2008+ models were extremely successful (I had a 2009 CTS-V), then they changed the design to some weird ugly face and odd proportions and the sales are dismal. The design did not catch on. The Bangle BMW turned away more customers than won them over. I think the new design will win over a few and turn off most buyers. Why Aston when with an I-Pad non-integrated CRT when even Mercedes is changing over to all integration is beyond me. Another turn off - I'd rather have our clean semi-too-small screen than an ugly add-on. When a Volvo integration of electronics is superior to an Aston, then something is very wrong. They should have done something spectacular with the interior of the Vantage like the Lagonda - instead they made it even uglier than the AMG GT which is hideous, but not as much as the new Vantage. I think the good news is that because of the flaws in the design, it won't hurt resales as if they did an incredible job.

Old 03-11-2018, 02:40 PM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
Considering my engine alone is $44,000 plus installation, you can easily outpace $30,000 in under 2 years LOL

It's been listed at McLaren, main Line Porsche, and another dealer, I'm not even sure who actually owns the car, but the history is very suspect if you go over it.

When you told me all your V8's had the stalling issue was eye opening. Makes you wonder if any of the 8's don't.

The cost of many of the V12 parts are much more expensive. Brake pads alone are nearly 4 times the cost, I would imagine the rotors are at least that multiple, although they do last a long time. The clutch is $2000 more, I don't want to think about how much an engine costs. Parts that are similar or shared between the 8 and 12 should be nearly equal, but the 12's have got to have a higher cost of ownership. Especially gas mileage!
your experience is not typical, however...
I don't have any issues stalling, and I"m not really worried about my engine oil filter having a 1/million flaw and blowing up the engine

Old 03-11-2018, 03:20 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Originally Posted by sonies
your experience is not typical, however...
1/2 the replies since have stalled, the other 1/2 not stalled. If 50% is not typical I'm not sure what line has to be crossed before it becomes typical.

Old 03-11-2018, 03:54 PM
Parvenu is on a distinguished road
1/2 the replies since have stalled, the other 1/2 not stalled. If 50% is not typical I'm not sure what line has to be crossed before it becomes typical.
I'll add my two cents to throw the 50/50 percentage off a slight bit. My manual V8V has never stalled, not even once. Then again, none of my 4 other manual transmission cars have stalled either. Perhaps it's just due to correct driver technique.

Old 03-11-2018, 04:03 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
A dedicated master V8V stall thread needs to be started and kept current to break it down correctly, because in a thread on depreciation this is just off topic babble. But, when your car stalls sitting at a red light, clutch in downshifting, clutch in coasting, I'm not sure exactly where the driver fits into the equation except that we should never put the clutch in and let it idle. We know the SS cars stall enough China forced AM to recall them, although the reasons "seem" to be unrelated.

I've had 25 cars and never had another car manual or automatic stall for no reason.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:37 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
I don’t know what percentage of V8,s stall, but I don’t believe it’s 50%.
The owners that stall will always report that they are stalling. The vast majority that do not have a stalling problem naturally says nothing.
With that said, even a small percentage of owners who cars stall are too much. Based on what I have read on this forum, Aston still has not definitely identified or fixed this problem.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:39 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Of the 3 V8's I've had the 2007 Stalled a bit and was somewhat annoying, the 2009 may have stalled once or twice - not enough to make it an issue, and I don't think the 2015 GT ever stalled - for what ever its worth.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by embdenb
The owners that stall will always report that they are stalling. .

This is not entirely true. Bright never said a word about his V8 stalling until this thread, and it's far more understanding knowing it stalled "regularly" why he got the Rapide instead [even if it was for "space"]. Perfurbia has never said anything on the board that I've read about the stalling but told me in a PM [which I won't quote, it's private, but you did say all your V8's stalled, the 15 only stalled once.

People don't usually discuss things in public that make their car life threatening, dangerous, and devaluing. I kept it out of the service history of the car until I finally had enough and had to have it show in the history. I'm sure it took $10,000 off the value of the car but the time for Aston to come up with a real cure for this has long passed and I was willing to have them experiment on my car to find that cure, because as much as it stalls it gives fairly quick feedback on if a change has done anything.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:31 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
This is not entirely true. Bright never said a word about his V8 stalling until this thread, and it's far more understanding knowing it stalled "regularly" why he got the Rapide instead [even if it was for "space"].
Stalling was certainly an issue that made an real automatic more understandable as something one would want in my next Aston.

I do need more space for our dog and DB9 back seat wouldn't cut it. My wife can barely drive a manual which limits us on road trips, another reason for an automatic.

I believe there is an issue with these cars stalling as I have seen my car stall when I was paying 100% attention; not every time I drive but enough to recognize something is going on. I am super careful with the clutch and never abuse, ride, or dump it in any car I have ever owned. Never replaced a clutch in my life...

Old 03-12-2018, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi
Stalling was certainly an issue that made an real automatic more understandable as something one would want in my next Aston.

I believe there is an issue with these cars stalling as I have seen my car stall when I was paying 100% attention; not every time I drive but enough to recognize something is going on. I am super careful with the clutch and never abuse, ride, or dump it in any car I have ever owned. Never replaced a clutch in my life...
There is definitely a real issue, my only point was you never mentioned it at all when you had the V8, I'd have never known if you hadn't revealed it in this thread. And yes, it's a very good reason to move on from a car, I'm just too suborn and AM needs to finally come up with a cure.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:10 PM
There is definitely a real issue, my only point was you never mentioned it at all when you had the V8, I'd have never known if you hadn't revealed it in this thread.

I have made some reference to stalling, but nothing that would jump out as an issue. Very casual references at best. I say a lot of stuff though...

Old 03-12-2018, 12:14 PM
Yea, I should have said I never read you mention it. There's are a lot of threads here I never look at and certainly don't see everything.