Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Newbe Need advice on v8v or v12v

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 07:06 PM
Leo1 is on a distinguished road
Newbe Need advice on v8v or v12v

Hello to all. Been lurking for some time and have decided that know is the time. Thank you in advance for any info.

I have a few questions as I am actively shopping for a Vantage and am not too sure which is the best/wisest buy...

1) Other than cylinders and HP is there any benefit of the V12 over v8? if so would it make sense to own a 2011 v12v for the same price as a 2012 v8v or v8vs similar miles? From what I have read, performance numbers of the v8vs seem very close to the v12v. Even top end numbers if I remember correctly.. Kinda confused..

2) Every v12v I have seen is manual no paddle shift option. Why? Granted I am looking only used cars.

3) Most of the Aston Martins I see are black, silver, white, or a charcoal color. Charcoal is my favorite as I am coming out of a charcoal 2010 c63 AMG. Love this color... However what if I find a deal on a red, blue, or some not so normal run of the mill color? Will this greatly hurt resale or trade in? As of right now I plan to keep this machine for 2 to 3 years.

4) Why do I see such huge price sweeps from one car to another? Unless I am not picking up on something I can find 2 of the same model cars with in the same few miles of each other yet there is a 20K difference in price and in some cases the car with the higher miles may even be the more costly of the 2. I know asking price is way different then selling price but to see a 20K sweep has me kinda scratching my head..LOL

5) Any dealers I should watch out for? I don't want to create a war however I know how forums work as I have been a part of many. I am looking at dealer in Florida (home) texas, and New Jersey seems to have a few... If anyone can give me a heads up please do!! Don't post it just email me if you will rfitzgibbon@hydrillagear.com

All help is greatly appreciated!!

Rich

Old 08-02-2012, 07:35 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
2) manual 6-speed is the only option for the V12V.

Sounds like you need to get Grant's Aston book.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:21 PM
DoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of light
1) Other than cylinders and HP is there any benefit of the V12 over v8? if so would it make sense to own a 2011 v12v for the same price as a 2012 v8v or v8vs similar miles? From what I have read, performance numbers of the v8vs seem very close to the v12v. Even top end numbers if I remember correctly.. Kinda confused..

I haven't owned a V12, but have owned a 4.3 V8 and can say that my V8VS (w/ 4.7) is night and day difference. The displacement really picks up and is much more powerful than my old 06'. People can always want more power, but I still love the muscle-car grunt of a V8 plus with the V12 exhaust components on the V8VS (from what I've read).

2) Every v12v I have seen is manual no paddle shift option. Why? Granted I am looking only used cars.

V12V came only in manual and V8VS are only with SportShift II (SSII) which is far more superb than SSI. With the Sport Mode on, the changes are extremely quick and after learning the car, I find driving it in manual mode with no ease or real problems. Previously owning all manual exotics/sports cars, it's nice to have that ability to "automatically" cruise along in this class of car.

3) Most of the Aston Martins I see are black, silver, white, or a charcoal color. Charcoal is my favorite as I am coming out of a charcoal 2010 c63 AMG. Love this color... However what if I find a deal on a red, blue, or some not so normal run of the mill color? Will this greatly hurt resale or trade in? As of right now I plan to keep this machine for 2 to 3 years.

I have a Magma Red and have seemed to love it more. Looking through Autotrader and eBay seems to show the majority of the common colors of gray, black, etc. however colors will always be an owner preference. (previous V8V was black)

4) Why do I see such huge price sweeps from one car to another? Unless I am not picking up on something I can find 2 of the same model cars with in the same few miles of each other yet there is a 20K difference in price and in some cases the car with the higher miles may even be the more costly of the 2. I know asking price is way different then selling price but to see a 20K sweep has me kinda scratching my head..LOL

I'm still trying to understand this. I guess it truly is the market of the car that varies, and with miles and this type of car people inflate as they see fit. Always keep the objective to negotiate to any comparable car to fit your target.

5) Any dealers I should watch out for? I don't want to create a war however I know how forums work as I have been a part of many. I am looking at dealer in Florida (home) texas, and New Jersey seems to have a few... If anyone can give me a heads up please do!! Don't post it just email me if you will rfitzgibbon@hydrillagear.com

Unsure on dealers outside of Southern California, but I did send you an email. Best of luck in your search!

Old 08-02-2012, 08:47 PM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
The V12V is much more exclusive and obviously has the most power output of the Vantages. It will likely give you the most performance as well. The one thing I can't get over on the V12V is the vents on the hood....IMO seems to ruin the clean classic lines of the Aston. But if it were me, I'd still choose the V12V over the V8VS.

I am studying the market on the DBS, and I agree the prices are all over the mark. I think with the exclusivity of these cars, there really aren't too many to measure against.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:01 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
V12 also has different suspension and carbon ceramic brakes.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:38 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
If you could buy an older V12V for the same price as a newer V8S, you would be crazy to not buy the V12V.

A V12 motor is exotic territory. Every time you pop the hood there'd be a massive V12 staring back at you. When you open the hood on a V8...well it is still a V8.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:18 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by plastique999
The V12V is much more exclusive and obviously has the most power output of the Vantages. It will likely give you the most performance as well. The one thing I can't get over on the V12V is the vents on the hood....IMO seems to ruin the clean classic lines of the Aston. But if it were me, I'd still choose the V12V over the V8VS.
Ironically at "the ring" the S is slightly quicker than the V12
V12 is manual as the Sport shift box & clutch cannot cope with the torque

Old 08-03-2012, 02:25 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
1) S is a more nimble car V12 is a torque monster you need to drive both to decide

2) SS box & clutch are not up to V12 and IIRC AM could not get an Auto V12 Vantage through US safety tests

3) Black, silver, white, or a charcoal colour covers 90% of Astons unusual colours are out there they are often cheaper but much much harder to find

4) There are so few of these around there is no stable used market to historical pricing for comparision. I would say get one with the factory 3 year warranty if you can.

Buy Grants bible on the Gaydon Era cars, it is a great help in slelecting the right model and year.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:33 AM
Leo1 is on a distinguished road
Thnak you for the help all! I am going to drive a V8VS on Monday. The V12 is a few hrs from me and if I can get over some of the other features the S carries that I happen to like I may just make the drive to test the V12V.

Hope to be able to post pics soon!

Old 08-03-2012, 01:04 PM
Global Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to behold
Old 08-03-2012, 04:15 PM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Global Autosports
That white V12V looks awesome!!!

Old 08-04-2012, 04:21 AM
UKRacer will become famous soon enough
I had a V8 - I went for a test drive in V12 - I now have a V12.
Go for a test drive in both - for me the V12 is just better in every way - it was a no-brainer decision.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:30 AM
Alwin is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Leo1
I have owned a V8 Vantage (4.7 model) and currently own both a V8 Vantage S Roadster and a V12 Vantage.

IMO: the V12 Vantage is a totally different car. The numbers really don't do it justice.

- It feels way more powerful than a V8, mainly because the power is *always* there, even at low RPM. For me, that's the joy of the V12 Vantage. In a V8, the power is there too, but you have to "work more", bring it into the higher RPMs before it really goes.

- The suspension is much stiffer / sportier. It is more like a race car than a GT car IMO. I love that, but it may not be for everyone.

- The steering has more "feel" to it. In a V12 Vantage you can really feel the road surface, giving your more contact with the car and how it behaves.

All V12 Vantages are manuals.

My V12 Vantage is Fire Red :-) A picture is here:
http://www.aston-martin.com/2012/07/...artin-dot-com/

And I've got a V12 Vantage Roadster on order that is going to be Cobalt Blue.

Can't say really. My guess: it may take a bit longer to sell it, but if the right buyer comes along, it will not hurt resale.

Personally, I don't care about resale value. I buy cars for myself, not for the next buyer. So I pick colors that *I* like :-)

Old 08-04-2012, 08:24 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by UKRacer
I had a V8 - I went for a test drive in V12 - I now have a V12.
This about sums it up. To really appreciate the difference, you need to drive them back to back.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:38 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
I had a 4.7 V8 in an amazing aqua blue. Fantastic car and it got a lot of looks. I really loved that car.

BUT...

I now drive a V12. It's a carbon edition, looks awesome, but the blue car got more looks. Until hey get close and see the subtle differences.

The V12 is basically a DBS ruining gear mounted to a Vantage body. On the road everything about it is much better. It feels more alive, steering and brakes feel better, though the new Vantage S is better sorted than my car. The exhaust note is better too.

Plus they have only made 1037 so far. That's largely why yo see slower times posted for it on Fastest Laps etc. there are just that fewer of them on any track at any time.

Can't go wrong with either car. Remember, the Vantage is more bespoke than you Merc was. You can DD it, but it won't be as simple, the nose is lower, it will get more attention, sight lines are not as good etc.

Enjoy