Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

First Aston Buying advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 06:06 PM
branjk is an unknown quantity at this point
Vantage

I was in a similar position, looked hard for vantage v8 manual, I too bought the BOOK. Very helpful. After much research I looked for a newer v8 2012+. A well equipped and low mileage can be found for approx 80k. However I made a critical mistake. I drove the v12. Once you do that you won't go back, pure awesomenesss. I know it has the sportshift 3, but I gave it a try and liked it. The newer v12 has a manual but is well out of my price range. But a 2015 v12 can be had for around 115k. If you can make that work, it is well worth it.

Old 06-23-2018, 01:13 AM
powerbeautysoulAM is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by LuckyLuciano
I've been lurking for some time and reading through the stickies. I'm getting serious about an Aston; specifically a late model Vantage with a V8. I've read through most of the stickies, mod threads and many others. I do 75% of my own maintenance and am say on shopping manufacturer (i.e. Bosch and not Aston, Mercedes, etc...) so maintenance doesn't scare me.

My daily driver is an f10 528 with a million M logos. It's basically a german buick that gets great gas mileage with a good bluetooth and slightly better than average radio. My weekend baby is a 991.1 Carrera S. The Porsche is great. Too great. The 3 issues I have with the car are too many electronics driving the car, no manual and it's too easy/too perfect. The PDK is great and like the rest of the car it's way better than I. Unfortunately I'm not being compensated for lap times so all though this is interesting fodder - it's not as fun. 2 things cause me to cheat on my lady... Manual and analog feel. Ancillary are the looks but I really want an analog experience with a good balance of drivable, steerable power. I've had my fair share of track days but just don't enjoy that as much as a weekend in the mountains. I like swiss, mechanical watches. Your apple computer watch may have more gadgets but lacks the engineering art and timeless appeal that I will pass on to my grand kids. I want the watch with the in house movement and will pay for it despite the face looking deceivingly simple yet artfully handsome. This is the best way I can think to articulate why I am here looking at Aston Martins.

For some reason, I just can't keep a car other than my daily driver stock so regardless which vantage I end up with it will have likely have a tune, filters, headers, sports cats and x pipe in short order.... maybe a muffler and suspension at some point to fully sort it to my taste in mods. Once the OEM clutch goes.... a dual plate and lighter flywheel. That's about the extent and not too different than the mods on my 911 to which it is "done" and about as perfect as it gets. I'm not OCD about extreme weight savings - it matters but not like a track car matters. The mods I like are to compliment the factory engineering and improve them to make them the best version of what it was meant to be. In the past when I spent way to much on builds.... I always looked back at cars that I should have just bought to begin with and for a lot less money in the long run. My Aston will be a V8. I want to drive it and enjoy it on public roads and enjoy revving out a naturally aspirated car that may to have the best spec sheet but feels like it has a good balance that makes you work for it without being too faltering (like my 911) or too dangerous like my old XKR [or anything else overpowered for the chassis] when you tried to actually drive it.

Now that you know a little about my intent and plans.... I really like the concept of the GT as a stripped down options car with all the driver components (or at least that is how I interpreted the propaganda). I also see a couple GTS's but those seem to be trading for ~20K more than a GT and I get that the GTS is a consolidation in the final years. Is the GTS worth the premium? outside of the infotainment, are there any other material differences or things to look for? I like that most GTS have carbon lip and diffuser. Nice but not a deal breaker for me. I'm really looking for driving therapy more so than something pretty - although it is a VERY handsome car.

For an european, analog car - I can't even find anything to cross shop it against.... what other cars did you look at? I already have a 911 which is staying but it's not really a competitor IMO.

Summary of Questions/help:
1.Advice on GT vs GTS
2.What to look for (other than manual)
3.What would/did you cross shop
4.Other advice for first Aston
i like the comparison of watches. Very well stated. I’ve personally been looking on and off for over a few years. Timing for the perfect one (2010+) in lightning silver and manual but haven’t come across one. The prices seem to have gone up slightly since the release of the new one which doesn’t appeal to me at all. Hope you find one you like.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:42 AM
LuckyLuciano can only hope to improve
Plot twist... So one variable is a job offer/sign on bonus. That got delayed [again]. I don't like to buy toys out of the "operating" budget and like manage wind falls such as bonuses with a combination of extra saving, church offering, Christmas/birthday/anniversary gifts for the year and toys. It looks like the new job is a done deal but you know how that works... I don't want to start making offers on cars until I have money in hand but have 4 cars that are perfect for me.

As far as cross shopping.... I drove something yesterday that could be considered an unlikely competitor... BMW Z4M w/ S54 of course. A CSL intake, tune, coilers and some bushing upgrades and this is a very serious, analog drivers car for half the money. Not even close to the same league as far as build quality, prestige or handsomeness but If the new gig gets delayed too much longer - this is my backup. I have my flame suit on for this forum but that engine with a CSL intake makes a glorious sound that will rival a high revving flat 6 or an aston and similar to the aston, is not a car that flatters the driver. Had a Z3M with a boosted S52 and another with an S54 and loved those cars but the wife didn't love it so much.

PowerBSAM - yes, the prices have gone up and speculating here but I think these NA Aston's could very well be the next air cooled 911 race in collector cars in the next 5 to 10 years. I have driven the V12 and it is wonderful sans transmission however.... I've had high powered cars before and they just aren't as fun to drive.... I have thick skin and am prepared for persecution of that statement but it's just my opinion... and we all know what opinions are like. My nirvana is driving mountain roads with no place to go and revving out the engine. The V12 can absolutely do this but for me, the V8 will have plenty and be a lot more fun getting to higher "10ths" of the car's limits. I'm an average driver so 7/10th is a wild guesstimate of how hard I'll push the car at my limits for the V8. Also, my daily cruiser is a 5 series with a 2.0T and the small engine choice was intentional... its certainly not underpowered(well maybe by 2018 standards) but after driving that and getting into my 911 with ~440bhp and almost no torque it seems like a rocket, a V8 Aston will be just as polarizing. Plus, having to work the engine and keep it at revs is actually fun after driving the lifeless bummer with the lifeless (but perfect for the car) 8 speed ZF auto.

Old 06-23-2018, 03:09 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Plot twist... So one variable is a job offer/sign on bonus. That got delayed [again]. I don't like to buy toys out of the "operating" budget and like manage wind falls such as bonuses with a combination of extra saving, church offering, Christmas/birthday/anniversary gifts for the year and toys. It looks like the new job is a done deal but you know how that works... I don't want to start making offers on cars until I have money in hand but have 4 cars that are perfect for me.

As far as cross shopping.... I drove something yesterday that could be considered an unlikely competitor... BMW Z4M w/ S54 of course. A CSL intake, tune, coilers and some bushing upgrades and this is a very serious, analog drivers car for half the money. Not even close to the same league as far as build quality, prestige or handsomeness but If the new gig gets delayed too much longer - this is my backup. I have my flame suit on for this forum but that engine with a CSL intake makes a glorious sound that will rival a high revving flat 6 or an aston and similar to the aston, is not a car that flatters the driver. Had a Z3M with a boosted S52 and another with an S54 and loved those cars but the wife didn't love it so much.

PowerBSAM - yes, the prices have gone up and speculating here but I think these NA Aston's could very well be the next air cooled 911 race in collector cars in the next 5 to 10 years. I have driven the V12 and it is wonderful sans transmission however.... I've had high powered cars before and they just aren't as fun to drive.... I have thick skin and am prepared for persecution of that statement but it's just my opinion... and we all know what opinions are like. My nirvana is driving mountain roads with no place to go and revving out the engine. The V12 can absolutely do this but for me, the V8 will have plenty and be a lot more fun getting to higher "10ths" of the car's limits. I'm an average driver so 7/10th is a wild guesstimate of how hard I'll push the car at my limits for the V8. Also, my daily cruiser is a 5 series with a 2.0T and the small engine choice was intentional... its certainly not underpowered(well maybe by 2018 standards) but after driving that and getting into my 911 with ~440bhp and almost no torque it seems like a rocket, a V8 Aston will be just as polarizing. Plus, having to work the engine and keep it at revs is actually fun after driving the lifeless bummer with the lifeless (but perfect for the car) 8 speed ZF auto.
I love the Z 4 M, BMW's are great drivers cars. The Z4 M coupe is cool as well.
You may also want to try a Honda S 2000, another great drivers car. As others have mentioned the Lotus Evora S is one hell of a great drivers car. With the Toyota engine, it is very reliable. It is not as an inspiringly engine a the Vantage or the BMW, but a great drive none the less. And you will not see another one at a stop light next to you. Get what you can afford and floats your boat.
Ron

Old 06-23-2018, 04:53 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
If your heart is set on a V8, the Z4 seems like it's off target.

Old 06-24-2018, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by Ron Avery
You may also want to try a Honda S 2000, another great drivers car. As others have mentioned the Lotus Evora S is one hell of a great drivers car. With the Toyota engine, it is very reliable. It is not as an inspiringly engine a the Vantage or the BMW, but a great drive none the less. And you will not see another one at a stop light next to you. Get what you can afford and floats your boat.
Ron
Originally Posted by Ron Avery
Ron
I do love the Lotus and have similarly encouraged Porsche buyers to cross shop but if I spend that money, I want the aston and i want a V8. That Toyota engine is something else in that platform. Hard to believe an econobox can rev or sound like that.

I REALLY WANT the Aston and if the new job (and sign on bonus) work out then I will have a V8V. If not, I'll enjoy something else and probably a Z4M coupe until I can responsibly afford the Aston. To me theAston is not only the whole package in a drivers car for people that love a driving experience and don't get caught up on internet numbers. If you want a spec sheet and comparable "ring" numbers then Porsche has no rivals with the new boosted engines.... Also, the NA V8V is the last of a dying breed which makes me want it more. Mark my word, these will be the air cooled 911's in terms of collectability.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:45 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
I do love the Lotus and have similarly encouraged Porsche buyers to cross shop but if I spend that money, I want the aston and i want a V8. That Toyota engine is something else in that platform. Hard to believe an econobox can rev or sound like that.

I REALLY WANT the Aston...
You should jump on this one: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...gt-manual.html

One of the best color combos, great options, and would be the V8V I'd buy if I were looking right now!

Old 06-25-2018, 07:55 AM
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi
You should jump on this one: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...gt-manual.html

One of the best color combos, great options, and would be the V8V I'd buy if I were looking right now!

Yes - this one is on my radar. The asking price is about 10k too high IMO given the mileage and handful of other available at ~78K with half the miles. I can't responsibly make proffers until I have just a couple things lined up. Should be in the next week or 2 though!

Old 06-25-2018, 07:59 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Car has only 9K miles... I have no affiliation to the seller. He does seem to have a lot of the kind of cars I like...

I would think he'd bridge the gap on price a little, but what's 10K in the scheme of things on a car like this?

Old 06-25-2018, 08:04 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi
but what's 10K in the scheme of things on a car like this?
$10 grand.

He's not an authorized dealer with a certified car that you can negotiate a couple years of factory warranty into the deal

Old 06-25-2018, 08:22 AM
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
$10 grand.

He's not an authorized dealer with a certified car that you can negotiate a couple years of factory warranty into the deal

There is nothing on the certified AM cars site (timeless) in that price range. Both options are 10K more than the car I posted. You'd be the same place after getting the other one certified...

Old 06-25-2018, 10:19 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
I was not suggesting looking for a certified car as the experience of this board has shown the only thing that means is it probably comes with a warranty. But you asked what $10 grand was in the overall scheme, and the answer, it's $10 grand. There are plenty of private options that are better options if they're lower miles and $10 grand less

Old 06-25-2018, 11:29 AM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
It looks like a very low option car. And does not have the yellow accent, if that is important. There is also a small diforence 2015 vs 2016. The wheels and the center console / waterfall. I actually like the 2015 wheels better than my 2016 wheels. The 2015 are flat gray, mine are gloss black. Mine show brake dust after 2 blocks!
Ron

Old 06-25-2018, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
There are plenty of private options that are better options if they're lower miles and $10 grand less
10K is a real money no doubt... I would put more weight on whether the car is the dream color combo and all that to make the 10k not as big.

Seller financing offer could cut that to 5K is my bet.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:10 PM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
seems as though dealer is "taking all offers" to clear out inventory

so i'm sure you could talk them down by 20 bucks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First Aston Buying advice