Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

First Aston Buying advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 07:37 AM
LuckyLuciano can only hope to improve
First Aston Buying advice

I've been lurking for some time and reading through the stickies. I'm getting serious about an Aston; specifically a late model Vantage with a V8. I've read through most of the stickies, mod threads and many others. I do 75% of my own maintenance and am say on shopping manufacturer (i.e. Bosch and not Aston, Mercedes, etc...) so maintenance doesn't scare me.

My daily driver is an f10 528 with a million M logos. It's basically a german buick that gets great gas mileage with a good bluetooth and slightly better than average radio. My weekend baby is a 991.1 Carrera S. The Porsche is great. Too great. The 3 issues I have with the car are too many electronics driving the car, no manual and it's too easy/too perfect. The PDK is great and like the rest of the car it's way better than I. Unfortunately I'm not being compensated for lap times so all though this is interesting fodder - it's not as fun. 2 things cause me to cheat on my lady... Manual and analog feel. Ancillary are the looks but I really want an analog experience with a good balance of drivable, steerable power. I've had my fair share of track days but just don't enjoy that as much as a weekend in the mountains. I like swiss, mechanical watches. Your apple computer watch may have more gadgets but lacks the engineering art and timeless appeal that I will pass on to my grand kids. I want the watch with the in house movement and will pay for it despite the face looking deceivingly simple yet artfully handsome. This is the best way I can think to articulate why I am here looking at Aston Martins.

For some reason, I just can't keep a car other than my daily driver stock so regardless which vantage I end up with it will have likely have a tune, filters, headers, sports cats and x pipe in short order.... maybe a muffler and suspension at some point to fully sort it to my taste in mods. Once the OEM clutch goes.... a dual plate and lighter flywheel. That's about the extent and not too different than the mods on my 911 to which it is "done" and about as perfect as it gets. I'm not OCD about extreme weight savings - it matters but not like a track car matters. The mods I like are to compliment the factory engineering and improve them to make them the best version of what it was meant to be. In the past when I spent way to much on builds.... I always looked back at cars that I should have just bought to begin with and for a lot less money in the long run. My Aston will be a V8. I want to drive it and enjoy it on public roads and enjoy revving out a naturally aspirated car that may to have the best spec sheet but feels like it has a good balance that makes you work for it without being too faltering (like my 911) or too dangerous like my old XKR [or anything else overpowered for the chassis] when you tried to actually drive it.

Now that you know a little about my intent and plans.... I really like the concept of the GT as a stripped down options car with all the driver components (or at least that is how I interpreted the propaganda). I also see a couple GTS's but those seem to be trading for ~20K more than a GT and I get that the GTS is a consolidation in the final years. Is the GTS worth the premium? outside of the infotainment, are there any other material differences or things to look for? I like that most GTS have carbon lip and diffuser. Nice but not a deal breaker for me. I'm really looking for driving therapy more so than something pretty - although it is a VERY handsome car.

For an european, analog car - I can't even find anything to cross shop it against.... what other cars did you look at? I already have a 911 which is staying but it's not really a competitor IMO.

Summary of Questions/help:
1.Advice on GT vs GTS
2.What to look for (other than manual)
3.What would/did you cross shop
4.Other advice for first Aston

Old 06-20-2018, 08:41 AM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by LuckyLuciano
I've been lurking for some time and reading through the stickies. I'm getting serious about an Aston; specifically a late model Vantage with a V8. I've read through most of the stickies, mod threads and many others. I do 75% of my own maintenance and am say on shopping manufacturer (i.e. Bosch and not Aston, Mercedes, etc...) so maintenance doesn't scare me.

My daily driver is an f10 528 with a million M logos. It's basically a german buick that gets great gas mileage with a good bluetooth and slightly better than average radio. My weekend baby is a 991.1 Carrera S. The Porsche is great. Too great. The 3 issues I have with the car are too many electronics driving the car, no manual and it's too easy/too perfect. The PDK is great and like the rest of the car it's way better than I. Unfortunately I'm not being compensated for lap times so all though this is interesting fodder - it's not as fun. 2 things cause me to cheat on my lady... Manual and analog feel. Ancillary are the looks but I really want an analog experience with a good balance of drivable, steerable power. I've had my fair share of track days but just don't enjoy that as much as a weekend in the mountains. I like swiss, mechanical watches. Your apple computer watch may have more gadgets but lacks the engineering art and timeless appeal that I will pass on to my grand kids. I want the watch with the in house movement and will pay for it despite the face looking deceivingly simple yet artfully handsome. This is the best way I can think to articulate why I am here looking at Aston Martins.

For some reason, I just can't keep a car other than my daily driver stock so regardless which vantage I end up with it will have likely have a tune, filters, headers, sports cats and x pipe in short order.... maybe a muffler and suspension at some point to fully sort it to my taste in mods. Once the OEM clutch goes.... a dual plate and lighter flywheel. That's about the extent and not too different than the mods on my 911 to which it is "done" and about as perfect as it gets. I'm not OCD about extreme weight savings - it matters but not like a track car matters. The mods I like are to compliment the factory engineering and improve them to make them the best version of what it was meant to be. In the past when I spent way to much on builds.... I always looked back at cars that I should have just bought to begin with and for a lot less money in the long run. My Aston will be a V8. I want to drive it and enjoy it on public roads and enjoy revving out a naturally aspirated car that may to have the best spec sheet but feels like it has a good balance that makes you work for it without being too faltering (like my 911) or too dangerous like my old XKR [or anything else overpowered for the chassis] when you tried to actually drive it.

Now that you know a little about my intent and plans.... I really like the concept of the GT as a stripped down options car with all the driver components (or at least that is how I interpreted the propaganda). I also see a couple GTS's but those seem to be trading for ~20K more than a GT and I get that the GTS is a consolidation in the final years. Is the GTS worth the premium? outside of the infotainment, are there any other material differences or things to look for? I like that most GTS have carbon lip and diffuser. Nice but not a deal breaker for me. I'm really looking for driving therapy more so than something pretty - although it is a VERY handsome car.

For an european, analog car - I can't even find anything to cross shop it against.... what other cars did you look at? I already have a 911 which is staying but it's not really a competitor IMO.

Summary of Questions/help:
1.Advice on GT vs GTS
2.What to look for (other than manual)
3.What would/did you cross shop
4.Other advice for first Aston
You and I have the same punch list, for a Vantage purchase. I started with a 2800 mile 2007 Vantage. stick. I purchased it from my local Aston Martin dealer. I added 19 split spoke wheels, Power Pack, and Sport Exhaust.
It was a great first Vantage the I owned for two years.
Then I saw the Vantage GT and GTS at my dealer, I drove the 2016 GT and loved it. The difference in the 4.7 over the 4.3 was big. The clutch was much lighter, steer quicker,brakes better. And the seats more comfortable. The 2016 and up had the newer center stack, which is I think is cooler in the way it looks and functions.
From my research the difference between the GT and GTS was a few things. The GTS was a run out model for the Vantage. It also offered two trim levels. Luxury and sport.
The Luxury had leather and Sport shift trans. The Sport had six speed sick and alcontera (cloth seats).
I chose the GT, for a few reasons. It was just how I would have ordered it. It was the Aston Martin press car. So it was loaded with options. And because it was a year old, I purchased it for a huge discount.

What to look for,
Dealer service records, and a prepurchase inspection (at a Aston Dealer)
Color and options, that you like.
And a long test drive.

Other cars to cross shop.
I would look for a Jag F-Type V 6 S with a stick. They had a special model called the 400.
It had 400 BHP and special trim brakes and colors.

I have posted a few picks of my two Vantages,

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	527697   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dash.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	527699  
Attached Images      

Last edited by Ron Avery; 06-20-2018 at 08:49 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:49 AM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
First off, buy The Definitive Guide to New Gaydon Era Aston Martin. You'll learn more about what to look for while shopping from that book than from just about anywhere else.

As for GT vs. GTS, the reason the GTS costs more is most likely because it's newer. A sport edition GTS will be very similar to a GT, while a lux edition is more like an S. And the infotainment system changed in 2016 and is the primary reason I opted for a 2015 (in my opinion, capacitive touch buttons have no place in a car).

The carbon fiber is available on all trim levels (and is standard on some), but you could always add that stuff later (the diffuser is expensive, but the splitter and strakes aren't too bad).

And I, personally, didn't cross-shop anything. I wanted an Aston Martin since the DBS was introduced, and the Vantage aged to be prettier and sportier. People at the dealership asked if I considered Bentley GTs (LOL), Maserati GranTurismos (ew), and Jaguar F-Types, but none of those have the same mix of luxury, sportiness, and driving experience that an Aston has... so I considered none of them as worthy alternatives.

Last edited by Mathman85; 06-20-2018 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:01 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
The GT is not really "stripped down" it just has a lack of options and is more standard, the interior is still very much awesome aston quality

I'd cross shop it with a manual Evora maybe but you sound like the perfect candidate for an 09 or later aston especially since you're gonna mod it, try and get a 2012.5 or newer with a manual if you can but it will be hard to find!

Old 06-20-2018, 09:04 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Mathman85

And I, personally, didn't cross-shop anything. I wanted an Aston Martin since the DBS was introduced, and the Vantage aged to be prettier and sportier. People at the dealership asked if I considered Bentley GTs (LOL), Maserati GranTurismos (ew), and Jaguar F-Types, but none of those have the same mix of luxury, sportiness, and driving experience that an Aston has... so I considered none of them as worthy alternatives.
same, if I had to pick any one of those it would be the Ftype... those others... just... no!

Old 06-20-2018, 09:05 AM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by sonies
The GT is not really "stripped down" it just has a lack of options and is more standard, the interior is still very much awesome aston quality

I'd cross shop it with a manual Evora maybe but you sound like the perfect candidate for an 09 or later aston especially since you're gonna mod it, try and get a 2012.5 or newer with a manual if you can but it will be hard to find!
Good Point, I had a 2011 Evora. mine was not an S. They are very cool drivers cars.
Ron

Attached Images      

Last edited by Ron Avery; 06-20-2018 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:23 AM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Cross shop-

-Evora 400 - probably the closest thing to an analogue sports car you'll find. Hydraulic steering, direct controls, light weight, it has a 600ish pound weight advantage over the Vantage. If it were me, this would be my primary focus.
-F-Type - You might want to try it, but if you're looking for an analogue experience, you'll be better served elsewhere
-Corvette Grand Sport - It's got a stigma, but it's a pretty awesome car.
-997 Carrera 2 - I've driven several 911s including different flavors of the same generation and it's amazing how different a manual C2 can be from a PDK C4s, for example. The997 is the best driving water cooled car and the C2 manual is fairly connected to the driver
-3.2 Carrera - Having said the above, for driver involvement and for right size, the 3.2 is a great package. Manual steering is soo much better than anything electric or even hydraulic and the sounds that engine makes are fantastic.
- Elise - The ultimate analogue sports car. It tests your commitment to purity in a sports car and I would never use one as a daily driver, but get it on a twisty road and there's nothing, and I mean nothing, more entertaining and rewarding to drive.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:36 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ron Avery
Other cars to cross shop.
I would look for a Jag F-Type V 6 S with a stick. They had a special model called the 400.
It had 400 BHP and special trim brakes and colors.
You need to test drive an Evora 400; way better than a F Type S all day long. The sensation, handling and feeling in that 400 is really unrivaled for the price. Nothing is going to feel more analog yet have all the options, trunk, some usable back seat storage.

Vantage has a lot of that analog feel to it and does everything pretty good, but the Evora 400 does it better (from a pure driving perspective). Sure, it's not built to same refinement of the Aston. What you give up in the Aston, you get on the Evora (and vice versa).

Considering some new Evora 400's are going for around 90K or less; that is a heck of deal.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:14 AM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi
You need to test drive an Evora 400; way better than a F Type S all day long. The sensation, handling and feeling in that 400 is really unrivaled for the price. Nothing is going to feel more analog yet have all the options, trunk, some usable back seat storage.

Vantage has a lot of that analog feel to it and does everything pretty good, but the Evora 400 does it better (from a pure driving perspective). Sure, it's not built to same refinement of the Aston. What you give up in the Aston, you get on the Evora (and vice versa).

Considering some new Evora 400's are going for around 90K or less; that is a heck of deal.

There are still new '17s on lots that can be had in the 80s. It's a shame, actually, that Lotus can't move these cars. They're fantastic.

I agree, the construction materials and quality of the Aston exceed that of the Lotus (and most other competitors) but the Lotus balances that with weight and driving dynamics.

Last edited by blue2000s; 06-20-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:21 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by blue2000s
There are still new '17s on lots that can be had in the 80s. It's a shame, actually, that Lotus can't move these cars. They're fantastic.

I agree, the construction materials and quality of the Aston exceed that of the Lotus (and most other competitors) but the Lotus balances that with weight and driving dynamics.

Lotus issue is getting people to actually test drive one. If you do and are not over the moon for the way it drives; a sports car is not for you.

The next similarly driving cars (McLaren or Ferrari) cost a heck lot more.

For me, an Aston is an Aston and I want it for it is. Better or worse. I really want to get another Evora now that I have the Rapide. I'll go for the IPS this time so my wife will be able to drive it. The 400 really upped the game on the manual though. Clutch and shifting is very similar to an S2000 now.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi
Lotus issue is getting people to actually test drive one. If you do and are not over the moon for the way it drives; a sports car is not for you.

The next similarly driving cars (McLaren or Ferrari) cost a heck lot more.

For me, an Aston is an Aston and I want it for it is. Better or worse. I really want to get another Evora now that I have the Rapide. I'll go for the IPS this time so my wife will be able to drive it. The 400 really upped the game on the manual though. Clutch and shifting is very similar to an S2000 now.
All true and good points, I had a 2005 Elise before my Evora. Both great cars, the Evora did everything that Elise did. But much more refind. Lotus is a greta product for the price.
Ron

Old 06-20-2018, 03:41 PM

My '11 Evora next to Evora 400 demo car.

My '11 Evora next to my buddy's '15 911 in manual. Both cars feel about the same in useable power, but a different sensation driving them both

Old 06-21-2018, 07:38 AM
LuckyLuciano can only hope to improve
Ron - That is by far the best exterior for the GT car!

All: the Lotus is some sort of wizardry and I have had some seat time a couple. I speak of the suspension witchcraft to my Porsche friends and they don't believe me.... more comfortable and compliant than my 5 series, yet sharper than my 911(PASM) when you push it. The engine isn't laggy at all but as good as it sounds, its just not a high revving, naturally aspirated V8. And for that reason - I'm out

GTS. I see these trade just over 100K and they are somewhat rare and hard to come by. As other mentioned.... I like actual buttons in my ancillary cars but am intrigued by the convenience of apple car play; even though this is dead last on a list of priorities.

GT. I see these trading at ~80 for low mileage examples

I seems like the 20-25K premium is more a function of the steep depreciation of these cars in the first couple years more than the GTS actually being worth more. Correct?

Aston's site is pretty poor for consolidating all the used cars with certification at dealers across the country.... any other resources? My perfect spec is a manual GT with the graphics, carbon fiber exterior bits and full leather, black interior. Sport package/exhaust also. Let me know if you see anything like this and thanks for the constructive comments on my newbee thread.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:57 AM
Any Aston under like 12 years old can be certified by a dealer, so if you are after a factory warranty, that can be bought after you get the car from whomever.

The Evora V6 rev's just as high as Vantage V8; neither cars have a red line on the tach. That being said, most the guys I talk to at the local AM-Lotus say they would take a Vantage over an Evora 400 for similar money. I don't think any of them are hardcore sports car/track guys though

For the Vantage make sure it has the Sport Suspension which is standard on some later iterations. The Aston Martin buyers guide is a must have before buying a used AM. So much detail on each iteration and I thought I was pretty up to date on... Makes your search so much better and it's like $30 for the book.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:18 AM
Originally Posted by LuckyLuciano
Ron - That is by far the best exterior for the GT car!

All: the Lotus is some sort of wizardry and I have had some seat time a couple. I speak of the suspension witchcraft to my Porsche friends and they don't believe me.... more comfortable and compliant than my 5 series, yet sharper than my 911(PASM) when you push it. The engine isn't laggy at all but as good as it sounds, its just not a high revving, naturally aspirated V8. And for that reason - I'm out

GTS. I see these trade just over 100K and they are somewhat rare and hard to come by. As other mentioned.... I like actual buttons in my ancillary cars but am intrigued by the convenience of apple car play; even though this is dead last on a list of priorities.

GT. I see these trading at ~80 for low mileage examples

I seems like the 20-25K premium is more a function of the steep depreciation of these cars in the first couple years more than the GTS actually being worth more. Correct?

Aston's site is pretty poor for consolidating all the used cars with certification at dealers across the country.... any other resources? My perfect spec is a manual GT with the graphics, carbon fiber exterior bits and full leather, black interior. Sport package/exhaust also. Let me know if you see anything like this and thanks for the constructive comments on my newbee thread.
theres 3 GT's available on this cars.com site, one of which may fit your wants and needs

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...28881&zc=60610

it took me nearly a year to find exactly what I wanted, it may take you just as long!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First Aston Buying advice