Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

I swung for the fence... Vanquish

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2023, 02:03 PM
Kalepsis is a name known to allKalepsis is a name known to allKalepsis is a name known to allKalepsis is a name known to allKalepsis is a name known to allKalepsis is a name known to all
I swung for the fence... Vanquish

My Vantage was totaled two months ago and I've been in severe Aston withdrawal ever since. My right foot just won't stay still, and I'm constantly looking for random things to repair around my apartment.

I initially wanted to replace it with another manual transmission car, and I also wanted to step up to a V12. But the only way to do that was to buy either a DBS 6-speed, or a V12 Vantage S with the 7-speed dogleg, both of which would cost north of 100k.

Now, I come from humble beginnings (bought my first Vantage while working as a security guard), and I'm a bargain hunter. So when I saw that 2nd-generation Vanquishes are selling in the same range, I started looking more closely. If I'm going to spend that much anyway, why not go for the top of the range? I can do without a manual for a while.

Long story short: my new-to-me 2015 Vanquish was delivered last night. And holy hell. This is a very different vehicle than the Vantages I've been accustomed to. It's not perfect, but I got it at a fantastic price and there's very little I need to fix.

The largest problem I'm going to face is restraining myself from driving it every day.

More photos to follow at a later date when I can find a nice place to stop and use my DSLR.

Old 09-24-2023, 02:10 PM
DonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the rough
Right on man.......That's a big swing for sure.......You're in the big league now.

Old 09-24-2023, 02:47 PM
Viper98912 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yea, that's definitely a nice upgrade. Nice swing for the fences! If this is your only car, of course drive it everyday! Make yourself happy and enjoy your hard earned work.

Old 09-24-2023, 02:54 PM
Import will become famous soon enough
Congrats man in the new ride…enjoy..

Old 09-24-2023, 05:23 PM
Mike Gray will become famous soon enough
The only car I'd swap my V8V 6MT for!! And one of the all-time great names for a car. Drive her in good health!

Congratulations - and a nice comeback from the unfortunate wreck of your Vantage.

Old 09-24-2023, 05:48 PM
IJWS will become famous soon enoughIJWS will become famous soon enough
Congrats! This is a good bounce back from the wrecked Vantage. Swing for the fences, always land on your feet!

Old 09-24-2023, 08:01 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Good for you! Looks great

Old 09-24-2023, 11:09 PM
Grateful is on a distinguished road
Congratulations!

Old 09-25-2023, 04:18 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats on your new purchase

Old 09-25-2023, 04:53 AM
07sportspack will become famous soon enough
Nice choice for sure! Congrats.

Old 09-25-2023, 07:07 AM
Kalepsis is a name known to allKalepsis is a name known to allKalepsis is a name known to allKalepsis is a name known to allKalepsis is a name known to allKalepsis is a name known to all
Thanks, everyone! I'm glad to be back in an Aston again; I don't want to be without at least one.

Now I need to get to work fixing the few issues it has. I need to find a workshop manual so I can troubleshoot the driver's seat ventilation, which doesn't work and wasn't disclosed by the seller. Then I'm going to change brake pads (there's still life in the existing pads, but not enough to be comfortable with them). Then I'll need to address the PPF, which is starting to peel in some places.

Does anyone have a workshop manual for the 2nd-gen Vanquish?

Old 09-25-2023, 07:59 AM
007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about
Congrats. I'm thinking in that direction, if I ever get tired of my manual Vantage, that's the only car I want to replace with.

Old 09-25-2023, 10:53 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Kalepsis
Now I need to get to work fixing the few issues it has. I need to find a workshop manual so I can troubleshoot the driver's seat ventilation, which doesn't work and wasn't disclosed by the seller.
Do you hear a noise when the ventilation motor is running? They're not a good system compared to other cars for ventilated seats.

Old 09-25-2023, 11:33 AM
ChuckRbts is an unknown quantity at this point
Congratulations!

I hope to get one of these in a year or two. Let us know how you get along with the repairs.

Old 09-25-2023, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi
Do you hear a noise when the ventilation motor is running? They're not a good system compared to other cars for ventilated seats.
I don't, but I'm not sure if that's because the motor isn't running or because the exhaust is too loud (a previous owner removed the secondary cats). I'll need to try turning it on with the key in position 2 and the engine not running. I've already opened up the fuse box in the passenger footwell and checked fuses F60 and F61, which are good.

Quick note: I recommend everyone open that panel on their VH Aston and inspect inside. There's a couple wire bundles that sit near, or on, sharp edges. It's a good idea to protect against that. Install some plastic sleeving on the harness and/or put some loop-side sticky velcro on the sharp edge. A chafed wire can cause seriously annoying gremlins.

Edit: turns out, the seat ventilation doesn't come online with the engine off. Figures. I'll have to check it tomorrow.

Last edited by Kalepsis; 09-25-2023 at 06:35 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I swung for the fence... Vanquish