Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Dashboad mat cover- Vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 01:14 PM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
I'm thinking of purchasing some black felt material and trimming it to fit. It's got some weight to it and if cut snugly shouldn't slide around. It also doesn't fray when you cut it. Just wondering how it will handle the contours. I'll take some pics this weekend as I try it out.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:21 PM
Sleestak is on a distinguished road
Cool

This is obviously a temporary fix but here's what i've done so far. It definitely does the job and prevents heat and UV rays but also keeps the dashboard cool. No, I never use the windshield defroster nor the nav so it has not been an issue. Eventually, I'd like to find a more subtle, permanent cosmetic fix. I suspect a black towel would look better. "eye roll"

Attached Images  

Last edited by Sleestak; 07-17-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:08 PM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Sleestak
This is obviously a temporary fix but here's what i've done so far. It definitely does the job and prevents heat and UV rays but also keeps the dashboard cool. No, I never use the windshield defroster nor the nav so it has not been an issue. Eventually, I'd like to find a more subtle, permanent cosmetic fix. I suspect a black town could work better.
haha! Now you're trolling us...! You actually drive around in an Aston Martin this way because you're afraid of the sun damaging the dash, while you are driving? Do you live on Mercury?😎😎😉😉

Old 07-16-2018, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by MRCW
haha! Now you're trolling us...! You actually drive around in an Aston Martin this way because you're afraid of the sun damaging the dash, while you are driving? Do you live on Mercury?😎😎😉😉
LOL - Totally ridiculous I know! I need a new hobby!

Old 07-17-2018, 11:11 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Trust me, popped leather, of which I only have 2 panels left that haven't, looks far better than towels on your dash

Old 07-17-2018, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
Trust me, popped leather, of which I only have 2 panels left that haven't, looks far better than towels on your dash

LOL- OMG I couldn't agree with you more! So yours popped? Do you have a pic you can share?

Maybe I should just live life and remove it! Ugh!

Old 07-17-2018, 11:21 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Sleestak
This is obviously a temporary fix but here's what i've done so far. It definitely does the job and prevents heat and UV rays but also keeps the dashboard cool. No, I never use the windshield defroster nor the nav so it has not been an issue. Eventually, I'd like to find a more subtle, permanent cosmetic fix. I suspect a black town could work better.
oh my god

Old 07-17-2018, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by sonies
oh my god
Dude- I am pretty pathetic aren't I!! Ugh! I have just seen so many expensive dash nightmares it freaks me out!

Old 07-17-2018, 11:26 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
If I had time today I'd snap a few but who hasn't seen the upper panel passenger side popped, usually full length. The same piece drivers side popped the end next to the slope. The passenger side tip of the slope, the binnacle about 3" passenger side, and the panel directly right of the binnacle popped the window side corner. I knew about the upper right, you couldn't miss it and it had been repaired once poorly so it was bound to go sooner or later. All the others I never noticed until my service writer pointed them out, I wish she hadn't as I was gleefully unaware.

I'd already bought the upper right panel but never put it in because I wanted to modify it so the leather can't pop. Now I'm in paralysis by analysis and don't know if I'm going to just have it all recovered, or, buy the rest of the pieces and modify them. It'll probably come down to the estimate from the upholstery shop and if they can get real obsidian black. It is very particular leather, it's not just a color but it's also coated in [my guess] a diamond dust as with polarized glasses on facing the right way the whole dash lights up like stars in the night sky.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:29 AM
LOL - OMG that's a hell of a lot popping!!! Think I'll stick to the towel thing! I really need to get a life!

Old 07-17-2018, 11:31 AM
If I had time today I'd snap a few but who hasn't seen the upper panel passenger side popped, usually full length. The same piece drivers side popped the end next to the slope. The passenger side tip of the slope, the binnacle about 3" passenger side, and the panel directly right of the binnacle popped the window side corner. I knew about the upper right, you couldn't miss it and it had been repaired once poorly so it was bound to go sooner or later. All the others I never noticed until my service writer pointed them out, I wish she hadn't as I was gleefully unaware.

I'd already bought the upper right panel but never put it in because I wanted to modify it so the leather can't pop. Now I'm in paralysis by analysis and don't know if I'm going to just have it all recovered, or, buy the rest of the pieces and modify them. It'll probably come down to the estimate from the upholstery shop and if they can get real obsidian black. It is very particular leather, it's not just a color but it's also coated in [my guess] a diamond dust as with polarized glasses on facing the right way the whole dash lights up like stars in the night sky.

How do these panels pop out? Are they easy? If so, I may just remove the damn leather when they buckle and wrap them instead! Yes, wrapping it may be a better option then this ridiculous leather dash panel!

Old 07-17-2018, 11:36 AM
The reason the uppers pop on the interior side is there is nothing but a little glue to keep it in place. I was going to drill across the L and stitch it so it can't move. The reason everything else pops is because when they wrap the leather around they trim it too close, and just a little glue. I'm thinking coating it all in epoxy so it's over an inch wide will keep it from pulling back. Repeat on every panel.

Or if they can get real obsidian and the quote isn't more than new panels [which aren't that expensive, imported] they said they always cut the leather much longer to keep it in place.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:40 AM
The binnacle just pops off, it gets more complicated on the rest but doesn't appear any of them are that difficult.

I like the leather and would want to keep it, although a wrap is an interesting idea. My problem is, it's a heater and when it's HOT!! like it was yesterday my ac just can't keep the car cool enough with the heater under the window right in front of me. You get heat coming off all the black and cool blowing with it.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:45 AM
The binnacle just pops off, it gets more complicated on the rest but doesn't appear any of them are that difficult.

I like the leather and would want to keep it, although a wrap is an interesting idea. My problem is, it's a heater and when it's HOT!! like it was yesterday my ac just can't keep the car cool enough with the heater under the window right in front of me. You get heat coming off all the black and cool blowing with it.

I say we all look into a leather or faux leather wrap! This could be a solution actually.....

Old 07-17-2018, 12:00 PM
The uppers have foam padding underneath, it will look different without them. I'd rather have my leather, just with a permanent fix so I never have to spend the money again, and again....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dashboad mat cover- Vantage