Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Hard to start when gauge is around 1/4 of a tank

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 10:57 AM
randyb will become famous soon enoughrandyb will become famous soon enough
Hard to start when gauge is around 1/4 of a tank

First try car will try to start and then cough and die and only when the tank is a 1/4 full or less. Will almost always start the second time. First I thought poor quality gas, so I stopped going to Shell and started going to Chevron or BP, but no difference.
Does it sound like water in the tank?

Old 08-04-2018, 11:50 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by randyb
First try car will try to start and then cough and die and only when the tank is a 1/4 full or less. Will almost always start the second time. First I thought poor quality gas, so I stopped going to Shell and started going to Chevron or BP, but no difference.
Does it sound like water in the tank?
you need to get into that tank. It could be water or a pin hole in the pickup tube

Old 08-04-2018, 12:02 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
You're losing prime on one or both pumps. Try several on off key cycles to build pressure before starting. It may not be the fuel level it maybe temp related meaning less fuel = higher temp. Check valves in fuel pumps will bleed off, sometimes at a quick rate (seconds) do you have a scan tool to check PIDs for fuel pressure?

Old 08-04-2018, 05:34 PM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
Suggest not having fuel go lower than 1/4 tank. The fuel cools the fuel pumps and to constantly run low, the pumps will be overheated and damaged. It could also be if you ran stale fuel in the past.

Old 08-05-2018, 01:30 AM
divetheworld is on a distinguished road
Sounds like it could be evaporative emissions control valving to me. The whole tank and pipe work are setup to avoid letting fumes escape into the atmosphere. This makes it a sealed system.
So, to avoid a vacuum as you use gas, the valving allows air in and fumes to vent through the engine.
You could have a faulty valve, blocked carbon filter, even a faulty gas cap.
Too many bits to diagnose and tell for sure on here.

http://dannysengineportal.com/evapor...ontrol-system/

https://www.redpants.lol/blog/2015/1...alling-problem