Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Gliptone Scuffmaster opinion?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 08:45 PM
Hedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the rough
Gliptone Scuffmaster opinion?

Anyone have experience with this product line for minor leather scuffs? Our UK Aston comrades seem to like it but Gliptone does not ship to the U.S. Alternative recommendations appreciated, specifically for obsidian black touch ups.

https://www.liquidleather.com/-c48/dyes-c91/leather-touch-up-kit-65ml-p153

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 08-04-2018 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:48 PM
programmatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Hedged
Anyone have experience with this product line for minor leather scuffs? Our UK Aston comrades seem to like it but Gliptone does not ship to the U.S. Alternative recommendations appreciated, specifically for obsidian black touch ups.

https://www.liquidleather.com/-c48/d...-kit-65ml-p153
Obsidian black is a fairly standard black. You may be able to get regular black leather touch up paint to match pretty closely.

I also found this site with a US online store. No experience with them though. https://www.colourlock.com/aston_mar...l?___store=usa

Old 08-05-2018, 01:16 AM
divetheworld is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hedged

https://www.liquidleather.com/-c48/dyes-c91/leather-touch-up-kit-65ml-p153
DTech do.
https://www.divinatech.com/mobile/Pr...tCode=SMOBSB65

Old 08-05-2018, 03:37 AM
Hedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the rough
Perfect....many thanks for the replies.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:04 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
I used Colourlock for my Phantom Grey leather. Touches yoo well wanna was able to change color of some other leather for small accessory. Is very accurate and easy to use

Old 08-05-2018, 03:42 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Originally Posted by programmatore
Obsidian black is a fairly standard black. You may be able to get regular black leather touch up paint to match pretty closely.
Obsidian is anything but standard, the color may be but it's covered in diamond dust, you have to have polarized lenses on and the sun has to hit it at the right angle to get the full effect, but it's like stars in the night sky.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:49 PM
programmatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
Obsidian is anything but standard, the color may be but it's covered in diamond dust, you have to have polarized lenses on and the sun has to hit it at the right angle to get the full effect, but it's like stars in the night sky.
Are you talking about the exterior paint or the interior leather? I'm fairly sure there is no diamond dust in the Obsidian black leather, which is what we're talking about in this thread. But I could be wrong since I've never had the sun hit the leather at the right angle while wearing polarized lenses.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:53 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
The leather. It may not be diamond dust though I like to think it is, it may be ground crystal, but it is there.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:02 PM
BTW My service writer had no idea until I pointed it out in the service bay. You don't need the right sun angle and polarized to see it, you'll see little tiny glistening dust in most light with the bare eye, if you look for it, but to get the effect of the night sky you do. It's extremely cool.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:06 PM
The leather. It may not be diamond dust though I like to think it is, it may be ground crystal, but it is there.
I've owned my Vantage a long time and I've never noticed before! I have to check it out more carefully now. I only have Obsidian black leather on the dashboard and steering wheel (the rest of the interior is tan). Is the glitter more noticeable when the sun is directly overhead or at an angle? I wonder if the leather touch up paints above have the same glitter.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:16 PM
I had it well over a year before I noticed, now I see it all the time. But not ALL the time. The light angle has to be right, or the moon in retrograde. I had my gf in the car about 3:30 yesterday and was headed into the sun and it was all lit up, I handed her my clip ons and said look at the dash "whoa!! what is that!!!" I'll try to get a picture sometime but my phone has the worst camera.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:32 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Never noticed it on my car, will give a further look the next time the car is outside. I don't drive much.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:48 PM
I pulled in the drive this morning and the passenger side was glowing so I caught a quick pic with my phone, which is why the resolution sucks and you get a little reflection of my clip on I'm trying to shoot thru, but it shows the stars.

Now, imagine the whole dash lit up like the night sky from the peak of Everest.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:58 PM
I did run in and get my camera but the sun was peaking behind a cloud by then so you don't get the dramatic sparkle.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:23 PM
I did run in and get my camera but the sun was peaking behind a cloud by then so you don't get the dramatic sparkle.

Holy smokes you weren't kidding! I can't believe I've never noticed that before -- or never seen a picture of an Obsidian Black interior that looks like yours for that matter!

I'll have to go back to the dealership and check the leather swatches/samples once again. I spec'd my New Vantage with full Obsidian Black leather including the roof liner and I'm not sure I want it to sparkle -- it might be too much. Unfortunately, it may be too late to change the spec at this point though since I already got a build date of 9/20. But like you said it's not sparkling all the time and only when the light hits it just right so it may be cool.

I did notice they had an AML Special "Black Metallic" leather option on the configurator that costs about $1,400 more than the regular Caithness leather. They also have an AML Special "Obsidian Black Balmoral" leather option but I think that's just a higher grade leather and not metallic. Maybe you have one of these options and not the standard Obsidian Black?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gliptone Scuffmaster opinion?