Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Gliptone Scuffmaster opinion?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 06:29 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
My build sheet says Obsidian Black, it's a 2010, I don't think there was anything fancy or different about it, you just don't notice it until you do, and then when you do, you do. As you said you've had your car a long time and never noticed it, until you do.

The polarized lenses are a must, you'll never see it without them.

Personally, I love it. It's cool as the other side of the pillow!

Old 08-06-2018, 06:35 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Remember those pictures were shot thru my polarized clip ones, so of course you've never seen another picture of obsidian like that, because I doubt anybody ever shot pics thru their clip ons when the sun was hitting it just right

I'm just really surprised nobody else ever noticed it. I talked with Sheriff before and he was scratching his head.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:36 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
I think it's the polarized lenses that's refracts the light...

I look thru my polarized sunglasses on my phantom grey leather, my Ram pickup, my BMW and Volvo... all have the same sparkle finish

Old 08-07-2018, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by MRCW
I think it's the polarized lenses that's refracts the light...

I look thru my polarized sunglasses on my phantom grey leather, my Ram pickup, my BMW and Volvo... all have the same sparkle finish
Maybe they use pixie dust in everything now

Like I said, you can see it without polarized, you just won't get the whole starry night effect.

These were all just shot with macro, <3" from the surface, no polarized, and one thru a 30x loupe. Every bit of leather in the car is like this including my pull tab in the hatch.

I never noticed until looking this close but it also has purple and teals, they probably use the same crushed mica they use in the paints, like Lightning.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:49 PM
I never got back to update this thread, and please, ignore everything I posted in it.

No, obsidian is not covered in diamond dust or base mica's, just mine is.

Remember I couldn't understand how I didn't notice it for a year, it's because it was never there. I noticed it after I got the car back from 2 months in the shop getting the new engine. Before I took it in to get the break in oil changed I did the first real post winter detail and noticed the exterior glass was covered with a million tiny specs. I never linked the 2 together.

I stopped by the dealer today because I hate mysteries, how is it all over the outside, AND all over the inside. I had assumed they had to do some paint work on the car or on one near it and it ended up in the cloud. I have inspected the car closely and can't find any evidence there was work don't on mine. Within a couple minutes Steve figured, it must be the spray they use on all the rotors when doing brake service. You know how part of the service is to paint the rotors silver so they look good. And considering the car sat in the shop for about a month they would have done a lot of brake jobs around it. He was in the middle of a job and had just sprayed one, we walked over and he gave the can just a hair of a blast onto the rotor and the amount of particulate cloud that started blowing in all directions was surprising. I'm not positive that is the source, but the explanation is quite plausible and they're checking into how to get it off all the leather and plastic inside the car.

When you think it's supposed to be there it is ultra cool. When you know it's not, it's quite annoying.

After some serious searching I think I did find a solution if their detailer doesn't have one. This looks quite promising for anything like this.