Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Urgent question re: release bearing...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 05:39 PM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
Urgent question re: release bearing...

Can't seem to get a definitive answer on this. However, if anyone can answer this, I would greatly appreciate it.

When installed, the release bearing sits on the torque tube. When the torque tube is subsequently installed, is the release bearing supposed to rest on the pressure plate spring fingers shown in the below picture, or does it sit adjacent to them but spaced apart?

The release bearing is shown below:

Last edited by terminal_ac; 08-29-2018 at 05:55 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:39 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
I assume there is a small gap when the clutch is not being actuated; wouldn't think that it is in contact all the time.

Old 08-29-2018, 10:32 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
There is a specific spacer included with that VAP kit to set the slave at the proper distance.

Old 08-30-2018, 07:53 AM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
Understood about the spacer.

In truth, in an empty state, when the release bearing is full extended, it must touch the pressure plate fingers so as to compress. If the release bearing isn't compressed, which is achieved with the spacer, then the clutch cannot work.

Old 08-30-2018, 01:05 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
I'm really confused by what you're saying. When you step on the clutch pedal, the release bearing is extended hydraulically and the 'donut' portion compresses the spring fingers on the clutch pack to disengage the clutch from the flywheel. And then when you release the pedal, the release bearing retracts allowing the spring to apply pressure to engage the clutch pack. I though your original question was whether or not the 'donut' touches the spring fingers when disengaged or if there is a small clearance. I would have thought there is a clearance.

Last edited by XJRS Owner; 08-30-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
I'm really confused by what you're saying. When you step on the clutch pedal, the release bearing is extended hydraulically and the 'donut' portion compresses the spring fingers on the clutch pack to disengage the clutch from the flywheel. And then when you release the pedal, the release bearing retracts allowing the spring to apply pressure to engage the clutch pack. I though your original question was whether or not the 'donut' touches the spring fingers when disengaged or if there is a small clearance. I would have thought there is a clearance.
I do realize that what I'm saying is a bit confusing. Understanding the operation of the system used in our cars is necessary to understand how the clutch system of this car works. Consider that at some point the release bearing must touch the pressure plate fingers in order to disengage the flywheel from the clutch. If the release bearing is installed at a position at it maximum extension range, however, then it can never move toward the pressure plate fingers, even after clutch line is refiled with fluid and bled.

Therefore, during installation, the release bearing MUST touch the pressure plates and compress. This is achieved by installing the space on the torque tube. Think in terms of an accordion. If you've consumed the extension range of your release bearing how can it extend to engage the pressure plate fingers? Get it?

So, when installing the release bearing, it must be compressed so that when the system is filled and bled pressing the clutch will allow it to extend. The spacer closes the distance to the pressure plate so that the release bearing will contact the fingers and compress. After the system is filled with fluid only then can you cause the release bearing to expand.

Hope I haven't confused the issue even more.

Old 08-30-2018, 03:34 PM
boxercupdave has a spectacular aura aboutboxercupdave has a spectacular aura about
On all clutch systems that I'm aware of there should be an air gap between the throw out bearing and the pressure plate springs/fingers when the pedal is released. The gap is so the bearing is not spinning when released. On racing cars I've worked on this is usually .100 of an inch, however I always check the spec. for the bearing being used.

For the systems provided by the AM vendors they should have included the correct spacer to provide the clearance as mentioned.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:50 PM
This has been answered/solved. I'll explain tomorrow when I get my parts back.

At the end of the day, the parts touch. I need to get my released bearing to confirm something with respect to the touching parts. I'll explain once I get my parts back, which will happen tomorrow (i.e., Friday, August 31)

Old 08-30-2018, 08:57 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
IIRC the VAP supplied slave is a bit shorter than the original, if that could be the difference.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
IIRC the VAP supplied slave is a bit shorter than the original, if that could be the difference.
The issue has all to do with the torque tube. My car is a 2015, which has a spacer manufactured into the torque tube.

There are two options to get the VAP clutch to work in a 2015 Vantage V8. 1) Machine the torque tube to bring it back into compliance. 2) Obtain an "old style" torque tube via the Aston Martin exchange program.

In this case, we could not locate a machine shop that was willing or could even handle the process of machining the torque tube to remove about 6 mil of material. We took the second option, i.e., the old style torque tube.

Apparently, the torque tube is an "AMR" torque tube. This tube requires no spacer. (The car is back together and its shifting properly).

Old 08-30-2018, 09:13 PM
Oh, yea the old different torque tube issue.

I'd have take a grinder to it LOL

Good to know it's back together and working right.