Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Opinions on wheel locks?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 11:52 AM
wysoseereeus is just really nicewysoseereeus is just really nicewysoseereeus is just really nicewysoseereeus is just really nice
Opinions on wheel locks?

Just recently had a single lug nut stolen from each of the wheels on my daily driver BMW. While it's a minor inconvenience, I'm grateful that it didn't result in some major damage (e.g., if the guy had decided to take all the lug nuts from a single tire) or a more significant theft (e.g., one or more wheels).

It's made me consider that there might be some value to installing wheel locks. While I realize they likely won't stop a determined thief, I figure it might if might slow down or deter the lesser-skilled or lesser-equipped opportunists out there.

Does anyone have any opinions or first-hand experience with using wheel locks?

Do they do anything beyond giving a (false) sense of security?

Are there specific types or brands that are better than others?

Are the Aston Martin wheel locks just re-branded McGard locks?

Thank you.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:46 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
The first time you need to remove your wheel by the side of the road in the middle of the night and can't find the key, you'll understand why these are more problem than benefit.

Old 09-04-2018, 01:13 PM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
If you leave your car in an area where it is exposed and unattended for long stretches of time, get locks. If you don't, don't.

The Vantage doesn't have a spare, so I don't see a reason why you'd ever need to remove the wheel on the side of the road in the middle of the night. The car doesn't even come with a lug wrench. If you get a flat, you're calling a flatbed, no matter what.

I have them and don't regret them (there is literally a spot to keep it under the panel behind the seat, next to the tow hook--keep it there and it's easy to find). However, I do recommend getting an extra key (when you order them from Aston Martin, they come with a key code so you can get replacements)--when I did my last service, I didn't immediately put the key back, and now it is somewhere in my garage and I'm awaiting its replacement (and casually looking for it every time I'm in there, hoping to come across it).

Old 09-04-2018, 02:32 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
I had a Nissan lock break on me trying to get it off. The tire shop had a special tool to get the broken piece off but it wasn't guaranteed and I have no idea what the next step would be. And if you leave your Aston in an unattended place for a long period of time more likely the whole car will end up on a flatbed stolen before somebody steals a lug nut.

Only a very considerate thief would take one from each wheel, or, somebody that assumed you wouldn't notice for some time and have no idea where they were taken. I'd bet on the later, most thieves are not considerate by nature. They're thieves.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:51 PM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by wysoseereeus
Just recently had a single lug nut stolen from each of the wheels on my daily driver BMW. While it's a minor inconvenience, I'm grateful that it didn't result in some major damage (e.g., if the guy had decided to take all the lug nuts from a single tire) or a more significant theft (e.g., one or more wheels).

It's made me consider that there might be some value to installing wheel locks. While I realize they likely won't stop a determined thief, I figure it might if might slow down or deter the lesser-skilled or lesser-equipped opportunists out there.

Does anyone have any opinions or first-hand experience with using wheel locks?

Do they do anything beyond giving a (false) sense of security?

Thank you.
They were not trying to steal your wheels. They needed 4 BMW wheel lugs. 4 Wheel locks would not have prevented this.

Old 09-04-2018, 03:23 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Exactly, they lost their lug lock key and removed the damaged locks and obtained free replacements from you.