Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Restoring Vantage Window Drop - Door Window Reset

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 06:15 PM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future
Restoring Vantage Window Drop - Door Window Reset

I apologize if this is covered somewhere but I couldn't find it with a search - looked through the stickies too.

Last week I inadvertently left my lights on after I parked my Vantage in the garage. Now I've done this before (habit as all other vehicles have automatic headlights) and the lights seem to time out and shut off anyway without issue, but this time it seems they didn't or not quickly enough and when I hopped in it to start the engine a week later I just got click click and a few cluster lights flashing. Low battery - the clock hadn't dropped a minute, interior lights were normal but not enough amps to turn the crank. - I also remember my door was STILL OPEN when I went to start the engine. No problem, I plugged my CTEK charger into the socket in the boot and left her for overnight and took a bimmer instead. Next day battery was showing fully charged so I went to start her. As soon as I opened the driver door I noticed the automatic window drop was not working. This is the feature that drops the window glass about a centimeter when you open the door then when you close the door it pushes the window back up. After starting I opened the door again and sure enough it didn't go down the 1cm it normally does. Checked the passenger door same thing.

Looked through my hard copy owner manual for anything regarding a reset procedure - nothing. Looked through the Vantage Workshop manual - nothing. Did a search of all AM tech docs on my hard drive for "Window Reset" and here, in a DB9 manual came across this little nugget:

Door Window Reset
If power to the electric windows has been interrupted for any reason, they will fail to operate correctly until reset.
1. Sit in the driver’s seat. Close both doors and switch the ignition to ‘0’.
2. Press firmly and hold the window switch until the window is at the maximum down position. Continue to hold the button for 5 seconds then release.
3. Pull back and hold the window switch until the window is in the maximum up position. Continue to hold the switch for a further 5 seconds, then release.
4. The window is now reset. Repeat for the second window.

Worked like a charm for both doors. Somehow I think every other Aston owner knew this but me?