Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 05:33 PM
larryg is on a distinguished road
Opinions wanted

Recently I decided to sell my 2014 V8V: MT, Volcano red, 900 miles. An authorized midwestern Aston dealer made me an acceptable offer and we agreed on a deal. With the car scheduled to be picked up at my CT home on Friday, I asked the dealer how he wanted to transfer the funds. He informed me that no funds would be transferred until he received the vehicle. I have sold many cars over the years and have never been asked to ship a vehicle without payment. Our agreement quickly dissolved!
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited by larryg; 10-06-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:53 PM
V12Vin is on a distinguished road
I have sold my car once like that. Dealer picked up then pay later. But I know the sales person quite well. So wasn't too worried.

Is flying out to the dealership feasible? Maybe talk to the GM and the person who actually made the offer. It should help to ease the mind.

Old 10-03-2018, 06:46 PM
bolteon is an unknown quantity at this point
I would suggest putting the car into the hands of a local AM dealer and allowing them to do a PPI. If the dealer still doesn't want to pay prior to shipping even if the car is at another AM dealer; then that's not an honest dealer.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:37 PM
Both responses are very helpful.
i will likely rethink the issue and perhaps keep it. I am the original owner and don't have to sell it.
Enjoy the fall

Old 10-03-2018, 07:40 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Cash and carry, I'm sure its on the level being a dealer. But no car dealer or individual that I know would ship a car out to a client unpaid. So why would you ship it to them with no $. If something goes wrong with the transport it's still yours to deal with. Then when it arrives they may beat you down on price.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:51 PM
07sportspack will become famous soon enough
Who is paying for the shipping? If you are, you own it (it's covered under your insurance) till delivered to buyer. If the dealer/buyer is paying for shipping he owns it when it's picked up and insured by his agent, the transporter.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:12 PM
The dealer was paying for the shipping.
it just didn't feel quite right.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:01 PM
07sportspack will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by larryg
The dealer was paying for the shipping.
it just didn't feel quite right.
My belief is the buyer pays when he or his agent takes possession of the car.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:39 PM
Graze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to all
Go him halves in a plane ticket to fly out & inspect it -

then he can pay you knowing what he is getting & get it picked up

Graeme

Old 10-04-2018, 08:02 AM
A well respected contributor to this forum just sent me a private message confirming my instincts.
Thanks to all

Old 10-04-2018, 09:26 AM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
I wouldn't ship my car without money in my pocket.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:25 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Keep the plates on the car and hold the Title until the buyer gets the car. Once he confirms the car, he overnight's payment/plate return and you send him the Title.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:39 PM
shootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura aboutshootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura about
i'd speak w/the GM first, if that checks out then for sure hold onto the title.

Old 10-05-2018, 04:24 AM
Thank you for all of your responses.
As said earlier, a forum member had a terrible experience with this dealership/salesman. I have therefore decided to keep my Aston and rethink the situation in the spring.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:36 AM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by larryg
Thank you for all of your responses.
As said earlier, a forum member had a terrible experience with this dealership/salesman. I have therefore decided to keep my Aston and rethink the situation in the spring.
Your Vantage, sounds like a great car. The color and options are good. If you don't need the money and still love the car, then keep it!!!
These Vantage's like yours are keepers.
Ron

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Opinions wanted