Anyone do a tune on a V8 Vantage? - Page 2 - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models
Sponsored by:

Anyone do a tune on a V8 Vantage?

  #16  
Old 10-19-2018, 09:28 AM
Registered User
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Seekonk, Ma
Posts: 82
Rep Power: 11
papigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of light
I'm with Blue2000s the tune really adjusts the way the engine responds and improves the driving experience. Nobody knows what your hp really is and it really doesn't matter when you get right down to it its just a number. What matters is how much the car excites you while driving.
I did the velocity tune with fabspeed xpipe and mansory exhaust, my 4.7 is a totally different beast and I love it.Peak hp is up but when you look at the dyno graphs the best change is along the rpm range that you really use which changes the driving experience. Yes I can still have buddies with 150hp miata''s turn better lap times than I can but I have a hell of a lot more fun doing it in my car.
 
  #17  
Old 10-19-2018, 09:39 AM
Registered User
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 594
Rep Power: 37
blue2000s has a spectacular aura aboutblue2000s has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by papigko View Post
I'm with Blue2000s the tune really adjusts the way the engine responds and improves the driving experience. Nobody knows what your hp really is and it really doesn't matter when you get right down to it its just a number. What matters is how much the car excites you while driving.
I did the velocity tune with fabspeed xpipe and mansory exhaust, my 4.7 is a totally different beast and I love it.Peak hp is up but when you look at the dyno graphs the best change is along the rpm range that you really use which changes the driving experience. Yes I can still have buddies with 150hp miata''s turn better lap times than I can but I have a hell of a lot more fun doing it in my car.
I don't know, I also have a 130hp Miata and on the street, it's alot more fun than the Aston
 
  #18  
Old 10-19-2018, 09:51 AM
RejeX's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Dallas
Age: 51
Posts: 16
Rep Power: 0
RejeX is an unknown quantity at this point
I RECENTLY purchased a Velocity AP tune from Stuart for my 4.7L V8V. I've only owned the car since May, and have previously done "race" headers, 200 cell cats and Redpants dry high volume air filters. The main things I've noticed after the tune are the improved throttle response and that the car seems to move through the gears more fluidly (I have the clunky robotic manual). Maybe it's my imagination, but the gears shifts went from "clunky" to not objectionable at all (in fact with all the traffic here, I might even prefer it over the manual tranny now). There's one little hiccup in first gear... Maybe coming out of the 6mph tractor... I don't know enough to comment expertly... But once the car is moving it's smooooooth!

I've only really punched the throttle a couple of times since the tune... First time was coming out of the coffee shop, crossing 3 lanes to make a U-turn into a substantial hill, and the light had just changed for the oncoming lane, so I was turning in front of a wall of oncoming traffic. I believe I left a little rubber behind, as the car launched up the hill. So no scientific analysis, but girl seems pretty peppy to me!!
 
  #19  
Old 10-19-2018, 10:31 AM
Registered User
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Seekonk, Ma
Posts: 82
Rep Power: 11
papigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by blue2000s View Post
I don't know, I also have a 130hp Miata and on the street, it's alot more fun than the Aston
True probably mostly because on the street you can go to wot on the miata and not be doing over 100 in a very short period of time. I have several other track cars but the Vantage is still the most fun to drive at it's limits. Not the fastest just the most fun and I'm just getting too conservative to test its limits on the street.

 
  #20  
Old 10-19-2018, 12:00 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 594
Rep Power: 37
blue2000s has a spectacular aura aboutblue2000s has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by papigko View Post
True probably mostly because on the street you can go to wot on the miata and not be doing over 100 in a very short period of time. I have several other track cars but the Vantage is still the most fun to drive at it's limits. Not the fastest just the most fun and I'm just getting too conservative to test its limits on the street.
Yup, low weight and low limits.
 
  #21  
Old 10-19-2018, 07:59 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2018
Age: 42
Posts: 21
Rep Power: 0
Noahcpa is an unknown quantity at this point
Great posts! Thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts.
 
  #22  
Old 01-02-2019, 08:54 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Forest, VA
Age: 60
Posts: 55
Rep Power: 0
DonRW2007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Just purchased and received the tune for my 2008 V8V (thanks my sweet girlfriend!) which to date only has Redpants air box deletes installed. I plan to flash this week and try to judge improvement in performance. Next stage is 200 cell cats and X-pipe, and re-evaluate (subjective) performance gain. If my yearly bonus provides, I’m looking at headers and new clutch/flywheel. I realize this may not make the most sense in terms of $/bhp, but I love the car and any incremental gains, even if just perceived, make me love the car even more...
 
  #23  
Old 01-03-2019, 04:38 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Forest, VA
Age: 60
Posts: 55
Rep Power: 0
DonRW2007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Installed tune today

Installed stage 1 and took the car out for a few miles. I was afraid that, without complementary mods like the 200 cell cats, I wouldn’t experience/notice much difference. I was dead wrong. Throttle response is crazy, and the car just feels faster. Couldn’t be happier! Can’t wait to install new cats, clutch and lightweight flywheel. This was money well spent and I couldn’t recommend it more highly.
 
  #24  
Old 01-03-2019, 09:41 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Woodstock
Age: 46
Posts: 53
Rep Power: 0
englishmatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by DonRW2007 View Post
Installed stage 1 and took the car out for a few miles. I was afraid that, without complementary mods like the 200 cell cats, I wouldn’t experience/notice much difference. I was dead wrong. Throttle response is crazy, and the car just feels faster. Couldn’t be happier! Can’t wait to install new cats, clutch and lightweight flywheel. This was money well spent and I couldn’t recommend it more highly.
So, you just installed the ECU tune from VP? I've thought about doing that only, but have been concerned that by itself I wouldn't notice a difference....
 
  #25  
Old 01-03-2019, 11:58 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 594
Rep Power: 37
blue2000s has a spectacular aura aboutblue2000s has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by englishmatt View Post
So, you just installed the ECU tune from VP? I've thought about doing that only, but have been concerned that by itself I wouldn't notice a difference....
I noted previously, even starting from the power pack, the VAP tune is noticeable. It's not going to add much power (but some), but it changes the character of the engine's response to throttle inputs, which is dramatic.
 
  #26  
Old 01-04-2019, 04:56 AM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2018
Age: 42
Posts: 21
Rep Power: 0
Noahcpa is an unknown quantity at this point
Installing tune this weekend. Also had new ap clutch installed. Expecting to be impressed.
 
  #27  
Old 01-04-2019, 06:26 AM
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: ontario canada
Age: 60
Posts: 170
Rep Power: 12
cadman is a jewel in the roughcadman is a jewel in the roughcadman is a jewel in the rough
i know you cant compare apples and oranges, but did the same mods to my mustang gt (cold air intake.exhaust.tune)
totally different car,$600 cost. i know aston is an exclusive car and prices are higher,but $2000cdn for a tune is really
pricey , when you think about it the v8v ecu is a ford product,its just price gouging to me,
 
  #28  
Old 01-04-2019, 10:13 AM
sonies's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Reno, NV
Age: 39
Posts: 730
Rep Power: 39
sonies is a splendid one to beholdsonies is a splendid one to beholdsonies is a splendid one to beholdsonies is a splendid one to beholdsonies is a splendid one to beholdsonies is a splendid one to beholdsonies is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by cadman View Post
i know you cant compare apples and oranges, but did the same mods to my mustang gt (cold air intake.exhaust.tune)
totally different car,$600 cost. i know aston is an exclusive car and prices are higher,but $2000cdn for a tune is really
pricey , when you think about it the v8v ecu is a ford product,its just price gouging to me,
well there are waaaay less cars to sell it to especially compared to a mustang LOL, and the cost of development remains the same so they kind of have to charge more if you want them to stay in business and continue to provide stuff in the future...
 
  #29  
Old 01-04-2019, 10:43 AM
Registered User
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 594
Rep Power: 37
blue2000s has a spectacular aura aboutblue2000s has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by sonies View Post
well there are waaaay less cars to sell it to especially compared to a mustang LOL, and the cost of development remains the same so they kind of have to charge more if you want them to stay in business and continue to provide stuff in the future...
I mostly agree but I suspect there's always going to be some tax on an exotic car as well. Either way, oh well, buy the car, pay the costs. But that's not to say that one shouldn't look for ways to reduce paying alot for a part that can be found cheaper somewhere else.
 
  #30  
Old 01-04-2019, 02:41 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Woodstock
Age: 46
Posts: 53
Rep Power: 0
englishmatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by DonRW2007 View Post
Installed stage 1 and took the car out for a few miles. I was afraid that, without complementary mods like the 200 cell cats, I wouldn’t experience/notice much difference. I was dead wrong. Throttle response is crazy, and the car just feels faster. Couldn’t be happier! Can’t wait to install new cats, clutch and lightweight flywheel. This was money well spent and I couldn’t recommend it more highly.
How easy/simple/straight forward is the process of reading and then flashing the ECU? I am familiar with POWER Commander etc... on bikes, just not on a car. Pretty straight forward process?
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone do a tune on a V8 Vantage?


Join 6SpeedOnline
Visit our Sponsors

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.