Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Anyone do a tune on a V8 Vantage?

Old 01-04-2019, 06:45 PM
englishmatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by kdm
We installed the stage 1 tune a year ago. Only additional mods were Redpants dry hi-flow air filters. As others have said it livened up the engine response and perhaps modest overall power bump. We had Velocity AP change the curve slightly when the exhaust opens up, so we get to enjoy the enhanced sound a little earlier without need to pull fuse 22.

We don't have 200 cell cats yet, thinking of buying, installing sometime this year.

As for how easy, it was simple. VAP ships their tuner tool, you down load some software on your computer to update firmware, plug it into your car to download the base tune, email that file to them, they update based on your needs and car hardware and email back. You then copy it back to the tuner tool and upload back into the car.

Kevin
Thank you, very helpful! What model year car was this work performed on? I did speak with VAP today and will be ordering the ECU Flash tool.

Being new to the AM platform, I’m trying to soak up as much info as possible.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:29 PM
kdm
kdm is a glorious beacon of lightkdm is a glorious beacon of lightkdm is a glorious beacon of lightkdm is a glorious beacon of lightkdm is a glorious beacon of light
We have a 2007 V8V 4.3l coupe, 6 speed
Kevin

Old 01-04-2019, 07:59 PM
DonRW2007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Simple

Second all that... very simple and straightforward...

Old 01-08-2019, 01:06 AM
QuantumV8 will become famous soon enough
When we talk about better throttle response, is that reducing the delay when you punch the pedal?
I have a standard 4.7L and I would love to 'delete' the delay.
I just gave the car a few revs and tried to time how long the delay is, I reckon its about 0.25-0.30 of a second.
For those of you who have done the tune (and other mods), but not the lightened flywheel, how long is that lag now? Thanks

Old 01-08-2019, 10:22 AM
superuser is on a distinguished road
On my 4.3, I did the mods in this order and each one had a clear impact.
  • Tune made a big difference the response is much better.
  • 200cell cats and VAP back box helped a good bit, for sure more power and the sound is crazy nice!
  • The flywheel had an impact too, but it was more in the snappy-ness up and down.
Cheers,
Daryl

Old 01-08-2019, 11:36 AM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
A couple of things about the tuning....

Yes, it's a normally aspirated engine so NOBODY will ever tweak 60,70,80 BHP out of it with just a tune, unlike some of the turbo/SC cars we deal with.

That being said, I do feel that, at least with our VelocityAP tuning it is more than just the number. There are a number of areas in the timing maps where performance is artificially restricted, in order to lower emissions measured during the prescribed testing cycles. Basically timing pulls and so on.

There are also some additional maps - vestigial stuff from the Ford based architecture which are restricting performance. Then, on the 4.3L cars specifically there are cam adjustments which we can carry over from the later 4.7L cars. All of those things don't add up to a bigger 'Headline' peak number, but make a big, big difference in the mid-range RPM where you spend most of your time.

The net result is that the cars just feel more Urgent as you pull through the RPM band, less sluggish and much more alive. There's a lot to be gained in terms of the driving experience that doesn't show up with the simple math. Not all the cars we see and work with are like that. Aston V8 is one of the NA platforms that does really benefit from the additional work. And with Chris (irish007) doing the coding and his in depth knowledge of the engines after 10 years as a factory trained tech I think there's a lot to like there.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 01-08-2019, 03:01 PM
Can’t endorse the VAP tune more highly

As I previously stated, even as the sole modification to a V8V, this tune will result in a tangible improvement to your cars’s performance. You will feel it and hear it. Even passengers/co-workers have asked if I did something to the car, and they’re not behind the wheel. It’s that simple.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:06 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cadman
i know you cant compare apples and oranges, but did the same mods to my mustang gt (cold air intake.exhaust.tune)
totally different car,$600 cost. i know aston is an exclusive car and prices are higher,but $2000cdn for a tune is really
pricey , when you think about it the v8v ecu is a ford product,its just price gouging to me,
Ford probably sold more Mustangs in a Week, than Aston sold V8 Vantages during the entire development cycle. With that kind of volume it's not possible to develop our own tools that might auto-match your file and allow map switching and so on. What we sell is a bespoke service, meaning each file we write is written individually for that car, based on that owner's mods and requests. Written by the number 1 Aston Martin technician in North America.

I've been a member of this board for 10 years, we've built a great reputation delivering solid products that do what we say they do. Over that 10 years, you would not believe the number of times I've sold maybe a set of cat deletes to someone who's said "Oh, my local guy is going to do the tune, he said it's just Ford stuff...." only to have them come back and purchase the product because.... It's not just Ford stuff. We have so much time & experience invested into tuning these cars at this point, I couldn't even begin to quantify it.

Our company is made up of real people who work hard and earn an honest living. It's a profitable company but we are not making out like bandits. I'm sorry you feel that it's price gouging.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 01-08-2019, 06:13 PM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
I personally put a VAP tune and 200 cell cats last yeat and i am very please with the results. Thank you so much guys awesome job.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:40 PM
superuser is on a distinguished road
Coming from air-cooled 911s I feel like the v8v mod cost are similar. I should have mentioned that my tune is VAP, and it is great. Every time I call VAP both pre and post sale, Stuart is there and happy to talk and give advice.

Cheers,
Daryl

Old 01-08-2019, 06:44 PM
No apologies or explanation necessary...

I dislike that Stuart and VAP are being put in the position of defending their products (or more pointedly their pricing). Wish it were cheaper, but I’m a realist. And I’m not a paid shill. C’mon, consider their investment, the available market, etc... if you spent $30K - $50K - $60K+ for your 10 year old exotic and are splitting hairs on a $1300 tune, you should be driving a Prius...

That said, peace all... anyone driving an AM is likely a type A male (forgive the stereotype) with strong opinions. Don’t mean to start an argument...

Old 01-08-2019, 08:28 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by DonRW2007
you should be driving a Prius...
I have to disagree. No one should be driving a Prius. They move just slightly faster than a traffic cone.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:14 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by blue2000s
I have to disagree. No one should be driving a Prius. They move just slightly faster than a traffic cone.
I have heard they can be LS Swapped.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 01-09-2019, 04:23 PM
englishmatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by blue2000s
..yes...but...their throttle response is amazing!!!! :-)

Old 01-10-2019, 04:07 PM
patrija is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by terminal_ac
Dropped in VAP 200 cell cats, exhaust manifold, Redpants Dry Hi-Flow air filters and ECU remap. Oh yea, how could I forget, dual plate clutch kit, which included the single piece lightweight flywheel.
4.7L Vantage V8S.

I'll put it like this, there are few cars out here that will simply run away from my car.

This was some of the best money spent on this car.
Exactly what I did … manifold, 200s, double clutch, etc.. Not only did it wake it up … all that plus the sport exhaust sounds mean :-)
2009 V8VR

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone do a tune on a V8 Vantage?