Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Battery on V8 Vantage

Old 11-25-2018, 11:23 AM
lovingit is on a distinguished road
For those of you that install your own batteries, how do you do the software update and register the battery yourselves? Did you buy a tool?

Old 11-25-2018, 12:38 PM
GDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the rough
Never heart of that this is necessary. From where does your info come?

Old 11-25-2018, 02:13 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by lovingit
For those of you that install your own batteries, how do you do the software update and register the battery yourselves? Did you buy a tool?
There's no software work involved. Just physically replace the battery and you're done.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:20 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Your referencing a more modern vehicle like your BMW, no onboard battery monitor on these. Plug n pray.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:22 PM
lilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud of
The battery is just a remove and replace. Doesnt require coding like say a BMW or any of the modern german cars

The battery removal and replace takes like 15-20min tops, Rich @ redpants has a very thorough walkthrough guide on how to do this

I’ve left the car unattended for 5days at a time, car starts up just fine. I’ll leave my car at my work’s garage and park our m5 in our garage during pretty bad weather. Upgrading the battery is probably one of the best things you can do on our cars imo, there’s so many electrical gremlins that pop up on Vantages when the battery starts underperfoming.

Last edited by lilseevs; 11-25-2018 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:50 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
When my battery died, the car threw out a ton of error messages. Was like a long list of errors before it cycled through.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:28 AM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
My Vantage fires up without any hiccup after standing a month.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:21 PM
davidm17 is on a distinguished road
If the dealer who sold the car didn't have it hooked up to a battery tender then it's very possible the battery got drained and now won't hold a charge for very long. You can try hooking it up to one of the better tenders that has a "recondition" feature and see if it will revive the battery or just go ahead and replace it. When I received my car the battery wouldn't hold a charge and caused some weird emissions service messges. I replaced the battery and all was well.

Note that the batteries for the 2013+ cars is a different size than the earlier cars. It has the same footprint, but is a shorter battery and the strap that holds the battery down is made for the shorter battery. It's a less common size and will be harder to find an AGM battery if that is what you want. I wound up getting a taller battery (Bosch AGM from Pepboys) and Rich sold me a taller strap he took off one of his cars. I really don't think the strap is necessary and you could run without it. There's a thread on here I created when I changed the battery in my 2013. You should be able to find it via search.

David

Old 11-30-2018, 10:39 AM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
Swapping out a vantage battery is a pig of a job.. its not 15min. Its a very cramped spot to work with the passenger seat in the car.
I have done it twice. 2nd time because the first replacement was defective (sat on the shelf too long... so check the date!) The battery itself is HUGE. (and heavy)

If I ever need another I'll get Rich's light weight battery & mount. The cig outlet in the trunk is designed for the factory battery tender... Definitely a good idea. Note there is some info in the manual about the battery disconnect switch behind the passenger seat.

Both of my swaps were in the summer in FL and I sweat thru everything I had on. Figure at least an hour if its your first time.. Sliding the lower clamps off the rail is a fun trick and you need to bend/remove some interior panels. They never intended for an owner to do the job!

Last edited by RolexDaytona1; 11-30-2018 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:35 PM
era2076 is on a distinguished road
If I ever need another I'll get Rich's light weight battery & mount.
You won't regret it - a very nice setup. You'll need to make sure it's on the tender though.

chr

Old 12-01-2018, 02:01 PM
Jagman70 is on a distinguished road
I have also heard that it is best to use a 9 volt or12 volt "Memory Saver'" plugged into the cigarette lighter or OBDll slot to save to the settings for the windows and seats when changing the battery. There are available on Amazon.

Old 12-01-2018, 02:12 PM
GDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the rough
Very good idea. You may use a power pack or your charger if it has a supply mode.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:19 PM
RandyV will become famous soon enough
First thing I bought when I got my Vantage was a CTEK MXS 5.0 12-volt charger and the cig adapter. $80 from Amazon and worth every penny.

My suggestion is to get the CTEK, run a full recondition on the battery and see what happens. If the battery won't take or hold the charge the CTEK should give you some indication of that.

Just like the OP said -- my '16 GTS battery was draining every three or four days to the point the car wouldn't start. As others have said, a low battery will cause the car to throw all kinds of crazy errors at you. Freaked me out the first time it happened. The CTEK kept the battery at full charge but it drained quickly as soon as I took it off the tender.

In my case, the USB ports in the center console had shorted out and I assume that short was draining the battery. My dealer fixed all that a couple of weeks ago. Since, I haven't driven the car due to nasty weather, so it has been sitting in my garage, in the cold, without being on the tender. Wife wanted to go for a drive tonight and sure enough - the car fired right up. So I definitely had an electrical issue that was killing my battery (it is a British car, after all ).

Again - I would definitely suggest getting the CTEK. Even if your battery is gone, the CTEK will help it survive in the long run.