Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Battery on V8 Vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 09:01 PM
lovingit is on a distinguished road
Battery on V8 Vantage

Delivery carrier said these AM cars, if you don’t start them every 3 days or so, the car has trouble starting. He does a lot of deliveries from coast to coast which can take 3-4 days. Driver says that sometimes, at the end of his drive at final destination, he has trouble starting the car to driver to the buyer’s house.

When car says “low battery” where do you you guys suggest to buy replacement? Dealer?

Last edited by lovingit; 11-24-2018 at 03:24 AM.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:08 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
There's nothing strange about the battery. But the car does continually drain it. Before replacing, try charging the battery and testing to see if will hold the charge. Any auto parts store can do this. As for the battery itself, there is nothing special about it. You just need to know what size the battery is, you didn't mention what car you have.

Old 11-23-2018, 09:20 PM
V8 Vantage. I called a local Auto Zone and they did not know what car I was talking about. Couldn’t even pronounce AM.

Last edited by lovingit; 11-24-2018 at 03:27 AM.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:40 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Google

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/fi...antage-battery

https://www.batteriesplus.com/batter...v8-4.3l-830cca

The parts store doesn't need to get to the battery directly to test it. Just the charge post and ground location in the engine bay.

If you're changing it yourself, Rich has a great tutorial.

https://www.redpants.lol/battery-change/

Old 11-23-2018, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by blue2000s
Google

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/fi...antage-battery

https://www.batteriesplus.com/batter...v8-4.3l-830cca

The parts store doesn't need to get to the battery directly to test it. Just the charge post and ground location in the engine bay.

If you're changing it yourself, Rich has a great tutorial.

https://www.redpants.lol/battery-change/
I always thought they needed to test directly on the battery. I called AM service and they said these typically last on average 4 years or so. I have a 2013. Thanks for the links. So AGM or non AGM works? I was told my daily beemer was AGM only so was not sure if AM is any different. 900 cca probably better than 830 cca

Last edited by lovingit; 11-23-2018 at 10:47 PM.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by lovingit

I always thought they needed to test directly on the battery. I called AM service and they said these typically last on average 4 years or so. I have a 2013. Thanks for the links. So AGM or non AGM works? I was told my daily beemer was AGM only so was not sure if AM is any different. 900 cca probably better than 830 cca
I'm impressed with your dealer. I'd expect them to tell you it's an annual replacement item. Battery life depends on many factors, the dealer's expectation shouldn't be one of them.

AGM is a superior product.

Last edited by blue2000s; 11-23-2018 at 10:54 PM.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:08 AM
GDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the rough
My V8V MY09 is still on her first battery, it is a Varta AGM. When I plan not to use her for a week or more I put her an the tender. So far no problems.

Cheers

Christian

Old 11-24-2018, 03:17 AM
powerbeautysoulAM is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by GDay2
My V8V MY09 is still on her first battery, it is a Varta AGM. When I plan not to use her for a week or more I put her an the tender. So far no problems.

Cheers

Christian
Wow, that means your 1st battery is going on 9 years! I dont even know what brand my battery is but I'm coming on 6 years. Could these "low battery" be auto generated when you leave car engine idle?

Old 11-24-2018, 03:24 AM
GDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the rough
I had the car idling for hours (updating the Satnav, setting up my new sound system) no low battery message displayed. The generator just keeps it at a decent level but does not top it up.

Cheers

Christian

Old 11-24-2018, 07:46 AM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
Get a battery tender and plug it in to the outlet in the boot. I keep all of my toy cars on them. It will keep the battery at full charge even if you don’t use it for weeks on end.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:08 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Don't be cheap on batteries... I replace them every three years ( here in hot Florida) whether they are still fine or not... It's cheap insurance for all these tech laden cars these days...Theres a reason why most batteries come with a three year warranty

On a previous 5 series BWM I had, I spent several thousand dollars on parts and labor to replace several modules that were just fine but found I had an intermittent short in one cell of the battery...

Old 11-24-2018, 10:03 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
These kind of cars are very sensitive to batteries and not as well engineered to minimize drain as German cars. Same thing for every British car I have ever owned. If you are just taking ownership of the car, deliver it to the dealer and have them replace it. While you are there, make sure the car is up to date on software and if they see anything else that you may want to tackle right away. There's always something when a car changes hands.

My Rapide was shipped from CA to MA and was delivered with a dead battery. Was able to jump it for a mile drive to my house. CTEK charged it enough to make it the dealer (14 miles), but the car had a ton of electrical issues until the battery was swapped. There other steps beyond just swapping the battery and the dealer is the way to go IMO unless you have a better option.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by GDay2

Cheers

Christian
+1 How a battery is treated is everything. There's no reason that a high quality car battery shouldn't last ten years if treated well.

Old 11-24-2018, 02:19 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
If it's going to sit a week a more, I use a CTEK.

Old 11-24-2018, 02:45 PM
englishmatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Gene G
Get a battery tender and plug it in to the outlet in the boot. I keep all of my toy cars on them. It will keep the battery at full charge even if you don’t use it for weeks on end.
EXACTLY THIS ^^^^^^ I use the Battery Tender on all my cars and old bikes; some not started for 6 months or so... and never had a flat battery issue, ever.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Battery on V8 Vantage