Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

New vs old(er)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 02:30 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
According to today's CARS.COM there are 202 2019 Vantages at US dealers with 27 of them used. When I ordered my first Vantage new in 2007 for $156,000 there were a few on dealer lots and certainly no discounts to be had.

Today Aston has an aggressive lease deal to move Vantages. My local dealer will sell at their cost just to get rid of them (a 20% approx. discount). This does not bode well for future resale or values.

A few things that will make matters worse - much worse:

> The AMG GT which it's based upon is getting a major redesign of the interior - far more elegant, technological with large glass panels, and extremely cool...

> The C8 Vette was announced as being just a little more expensive than the C7 with Vantage like- horsepower at approx. 1/2 the cost. I'd bet you can't pre-order a C8 vette for 20% off - in fact you might have to pay 20% more!

> Aston Martin announced they are working on their own engines to replace the Mercedes sourced V8's. What's that do to the value? Remember the first DBS - a straight 6? The first DB7 - a supercharged 6? Not great sellers or resale.

Most of the general public sees a 911 and can't tell one from the other, yet each new update has significant but not so obvious changes. Aston Martin abandoned the elegant gentlemans sportcar for the 'bad boy racer' buyer. There was no other competition in the gentlemans sportcar arena - plenty of choices in the Bad Boy marketplace.

Aston should have evolved the existing (past) Vantage, and introduced another parallel line of sports car - but they abandoned their strongest market.

Again in 2007 when I ordered my new Vantage - a discount was not to be had - no negotiating.

I hope Palmer reads the blogs. The press is OK with the new Vangtage and why not - they get advertising dollars. These blogs tell the real story. If the press was so enamored with the Vantage - there's 202 to choose from surely all at discounts.

Old 01-04-2019, 04:19 PM
sf911c2 has a spectacular aura aboutsf911c2 has a spectacular aura about
It doesn't look like the lease promo made much difference in inventory. If AM has 200+ new cars sitting on lots come spring it's going to get ugly with 2020's arriving in summer. The USA dealers will face selling cars at $20K losses and that's not good for the health of dealers. Maybe the vantage is selling well other than USA and AM is OK with the new design direction to sell in those markets. If someone has 2018 production numbers, please post, I'm interested to see how many AM sold in each country. A launch year should be gang busters 2000+ cars worldwide. I too hope Palmer is getting owners feedback and changes course on the vantage soon. The vantage profile is beautiful but front and interior designs are a mess. The prior gen trio was equally beautiful to me but the current trio DBS>DB11>Vantage. AM can't just survive on DBS sales, it needs a successful vantage to be profitable. AM has long production cycles and in current form there is no way this vantage model lasts 10+ years with 200 new cars sitting on lots in a launch year...

Old 01-04-2019, 05:29 PM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sf911c2
It doesn't look like the lease promo made much difference in inventory. If AM has 200+ new cars sitting on lots come spring it's going to get ugly with 2020's arriving in summer. The USA dealers will face selling cars at $20K losses and that's not good for the health of dealers. Maybe the vantage is selling well other than USA and AM is OK with the new design direction to sell in those markets. If someone has 2018 production numbers, please post, I'm interested to see how many AM sold in each country. A launch year should be gang busters 2000+ cars worldwide. I too hope Palmer is getting owners feedback and changes course on the vantage soon. The vantage profile is beautiful but front and interior designs are a mess. The prior gen trio was equally beautiful to me but the current trio DBS>DB11>Vantage. AM can't just survive on DBS sales, it needs a successful vantage to be profitable. AM has long production cycles and in current form there is no way this vantage model lasts 10+ years with 200 new cars sitting on lots in a launch year...
when i got an email from AM, their lease rate turned out to be over $4 a mile before insurance, gas, maintenance... not every reasonable IMO

Old 01-04-2019, 05:36 PM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Denver V8V
to me the soul of Aston Martin is the grill and old wins hands down. The styling of my '09 is elegant. After almost two years of owning and driving this car, what I find most pleasing about my AM is that it's a gorgeous looking car with refined elements and touches and yet can perform with most exotics.

The rear end of the new one is OK, but the front end is not pleasing to my eye. I'm sure the designers are in proverbial catch 22 of how to improve on a timeless look and deliver something new. They have to justify new models and their ever increasing prices.
i find myself wandering into my garage just to look at my 2009 Aston Martin V8V more and more... stunning car

Old 01-04-2019, 06:31 PM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
The overall design of the “old” Vantage was just about perfect. So the new design had a real challenge as a replacement. Can we just agree that they missed the mark. The new Vantage needs a mid cycle rework now. It is almost as bad as what BMW did a few years ago. No it’s worse.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:09 PM
sf911c2 has a spectacular aura aboutsf911c2 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Gene G
The overall design of the “old” Vantage was just about perfect. So the new design had a real challenge as a replacement. Can we just agree that they missed the mark. The new Vantage needs a mid cycle rework now. It is almost as bad as what BMW did a few years ago. No it’s worse.
Yes I agree, and I hope AM corp sees the light soon. Ultimately the financials will force their hand...

Are you referring to the "bangle butt" BMW era? ya I had a e92 M3, not my favorite design. e46 M3 all the way...that was an amazing car

Old 01-04-2019, 08:23 PM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sf911c2
Yes I agree, and I hope AM corp sees the light soon. Ultimately the financials will force their hand...

Are you referring to the "bangle butt" BMW era? ya I had a e92 M3, not my favorite design. e46 M3 all the way...that was an amazing car
Yes Chris Bangle. What a terrible designer. He didn’t come work AML did he? I’m probably being too harsh. The new DBS is beautiful and my wife thinks are DB11 is the best looking car we have ever had. And it is the 76th car.
I still think that the early design V8Vantage is the best design ever.

Last edited by Gene G; 01-04-2019 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:21 AM
Denver V8V is an unknown quantity at this point
Prior to purchasing my V8V roadster I test drove various cars I had on my list including a new Jag F type SVR with the 525 HP engine. Frankly from a performance point of view it was better than the Aston and I was impressed and came close. Purchase price wise I would get a newer vehicle for the money with the Jag. However the looks and panache of AM had me. Honestly where can I truly use the 420 HP I have now, never mind the 525 of the Jag.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:43 AM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Denver V8V
Prior to purchasing my V8V roadster I test drove various cars I had on my list including a new Jag F type SVR with the 525 HP engine. Frankly from a performance point of view it was better than the Aston and I was impressed and came close. Purchase price wise I would get a newer vehicle for the money with the Jag. However the looks and panache of AM had me. Honestly where can I truly use the 420 HP I have now, never mind the 525 of the Jag.
I will shamelessly indulge my pedantic side and remind you that the SVR has 575 bhp, not 525.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:27 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Gene G

Yes Chris Bangle. What a terrible designer. He didn’t come work AML did he? I’m probably being too harsh. The new DBS is beautiful and my wife thinks are DB11 is the best looking car we have ever had. And it is the 76th car.
I still think that the early design V8Vantage is the best design ever.
BMW"s from about 2005 to today have been butt *** ugly... I actually like the E92 M3 though, thats the last BMW I like
they are all bloated ugly barges today

Old 01-06-2019, 05:20 PM
Denver V8V is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by spinecho
I will shamelessly indulge my pedantic side and remind you that the SVR has 575 bhp, not 525.
Fair enough. Even at that I chose wisely.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:50 PM
popspin is on a distinguished road
A vote for the new Vantage. I love mine! From all angles. Inside and outside. Performance, comfort, reliable engine and electronics. Fun to drive too. Simple as that!
Understand those that don't and hope they continue to enjoy their previous version.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:28 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Dalecannavan
After seeing the new Vantage in the flesh today I have to say I love it. Here are some comparisons with mine.
This looks like an Avants event, yes? I'm looking forward to the coming season!

Old 01-07-2019, 07:56 AM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
The color combo of the car featured here is most flattering to the new design.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:34 PM
Dalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by blue2000s
This looks like an Avants event, yes? I'm looking forward to the coming season!
it was an event hosted by “Group 2 motorsports” titled “British Invasion”.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New vs old(er)