Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V8V 6Speed Reliability

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 09:18 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
I have a 2010.5 manual, which now has 30k miles on it, bought with 24k 2 years ago about, I recently drove it nearly 2000 miles across the country with no issues and have been daily driving it about 10 miles a day, before I moved here I would pretty much only drive it on weekends and it was fine with that too. I got my car with a new clutch though so I'm sure that helped. Only thing I have had to do on it was replace the thermostat (engine was staying too cool), which was a $15 part but the dealer charged me a couple hundred to install lol

Old 12-18-2018, 09:18 AM
Vettel-ish is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by willin58
I live in SE WI and have Al at GT Motorsports do all the maintenance on my '07 DB9. I supply parts/fluids, he charges labor. I just had an oil change, coolant flush and diff oil swap done for $237 + parts cost (oil, filter, Motul coolant, Motul LSD diff oil).

He mostly works on Ferraris/Lambos/Alfas (I.e. Italian), but has experience w/ AM as well. Does a great job and might be in the market soon for his own V8V.

Good luck!
Originally Posted by willin58
GT Motorsports is in Pewaukee, just west of Hwy 16 on Capitol Dr. Should be less than a 30 min drive from Ixonia. http://www.gt-motorsports.net/
Ok right down the road from Pewaukee lake. Awesome! I work in Pewaukee. Well thats perfect! Thank you Willin58! Maybe we could go for a drive someday when I get mine.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by sonies
I have a 2010.5 manual, which now has 30k miles on it, bought with 24k 2 years ago about, I recently drove it nearly 2000 miles across the country with no issues and have been daily driving it about 10 miles a day, before I moved here I would pretty much only drive it on weekends and it was fine with that too. I got my car with a new clutch though so I'm sure that helped. Only thing I have had to do on it was replace the thermostat (engine was staying too cool), which was a $15 part but the dealer charged me a couple hundred to install lol
Sounds about right for a dealer lol

Old 01-03-2019, 11:57 AM
Denver V8V is an unknown quantity at this point
'09 V8V I purchased less than 2 years ago with 10K miles, now with almost 16K and I'm very pleased. I found a great indie tech who has the computers and knowledge to work on it and has been great to deal with. Biggest unplanned non-service type issue so far was replacing the convertible top module which I purchased from Scuderia and my tech installed for $100.00

I love the car

Old 01-05-2019, 08:05 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Denver V8V
'09 V8V I purchased less than 2 years ago with 10K miles, now with almost 16K and I'm very pleased. I found a great indie tech who has the computers and knowledge to work on it and has been great to deal with. Biggest unplanned non-service type issue so far was replacing the convertible top module which I purchased from Scuderia and my tech installed for $100.00

I love the car
Perfect! Thank you!

Old 01-05-2019, 11:36 AM
kdm
kdm is a glorious beacon of lightkdm is a glorious beacon of lightkdm is a glorious beacon of lightkdm is a glorious beacon of lightkdm is a glorious beacon of light
We have 2007 6 speed with 37,xxx on it. Have owned it for 2 years. Have done all routine maintenance myself- engine oil, gear box, brake fluid flush, replaced brake pads with Porterfield RS-4 pads (much less dust and good performance). Replace all interior lights with LEDs.
When I first got it had to replace the thermostat ( ran too cold) and hood and door struts.

Some have had issues with clutch wearing at this mileage but ours is still going strong. I think being a manual helps. When it does, will replace with the V12 version and lighter flywheel.

As others have said, Rich (Redpants.lol) has lots of great DIY videos and is good source for parts.

Kevin

Old 01-05-2019, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by kdm
We have 2007 6 speed with 37,xxx on it. Have owned it for 2 years. Have done all routine maintenance myself- engine oil, gear box, brake fluid flush, replaced brake pads with Porterfield RS-4 pads (much less dust and good performance). Replace all interior lights with LEDs.
When I first got it had to replace the thermostat ( ran too cold) and hood and door struts.

Some have had issues with clutch wearing at this mileage but ours is still going strong. I think being a manual helps. When it does, will replace with the V12 version and lighter flywheel.

As others have said, Rich (Redpants.lol) has lots of great DIY videos and is good source for parts.

Kevin
Thanks Kevin! Great advice!

Old 01-06-2019, 02:15 AM
lovingit is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi
The years you are looking at should all have the same transmission. Annual service is lower at my local AM dealer FWIW (maybe $1200 or less). Each year may include some additional services like air filters or differential... Brake fluid and oil change are every year. Checking the oil the dry sump V8 is a little tricky. I don't mind paying a little extra going to the dealer as they'll do some inspection on the car during the annual and are good to point out anything to get ahead of it. Battery on the ECU should be replaced every year or other year; I forget. If something happened to the car due service or an AM part; I feel I get further with AM corporate than if an indy did the work. There was a thread on an oil filter imploding and it was because he had the work done at a dealer AM replaced the engine.
are brake fluid flush annually? I thought it is once every two years?

Old 01-06-2019, 12:02 PM
Yorick is on a distinguished road
If you want to get maximum longevity from your transaxle change the oil as per AM's recommendations. And don't use gear oil with a GL-5 designation. It's formulated with an additive for high-offset hypoid gears and is not necessary for our differentials. This additive is not friendly with bronze-brass synchromesh rings and over time will cause excessive erosion and shorten their life. To avoid this use a GL-4 oil which doesn't even mention GL-5 on its label. Personally use Amsoil Manual Transmission & Transaxle Gear Lube 75W-90 and then add a 4 ounce tube of their Slip Lock Limited Slip Additive. My refusal to use GL-5 gear oil might be a little over the top but, as I see it, why use anything which may harm the transmission when it's so simple to use something which will cause no harm.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by Yorick
If you want to get maximum longevity from your transaxle change the oil as per AM's recommendations. And don't use gear oil with a GL-5 designation. It's formulated with an additive for high-offset hypoid gears and is not necessary for our differentials. This additive is not friendly with bronze-brass synchromesh rings and over time will cause excessive erosion and shorten their life. To avoid this use a GL-4 oil which doesn't even mention GL-5 on its label. Personally use Amsoil Manual Transmission & Transaxle Gear Lube 75W-90 and then add a 4 ounce tube of their Slip Lock Limited Slip Additive. My refusal to use GL-5 gear oil might be a little over the top but, as I see it, why use anything which may harm the transmission when it's so simple to use something which will cause no harm.
How often do you change those out?

Oil every 10k miles or every year?
I would only buy a manual. How often would you need to change trans and diff?

Old 01-07-2019, 07:33 PM
kdm
kdm is a glorious beacon of lightkdm is a glorious beacon of lightkdm is a glorious beacon of lightkdm is a glorious beacon of lightkdm is a glorious beacon of light
I change engine oil every 5,000 miles or 1 year which comes first. The gearbox and differential are 1 integrated transaxle unit at the rear of the car. Not sure of the schedule for a change. I did mine at 36,000. No record if it was done by prior owners. I have a 2007 6 speed. I need to check on schedule recommendation for transaxle gear oil change

Kevin

Old 01-07-2019, 07:39 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Transmission service interval 4-years or 40k miles on the Vantage.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:00 PM
kdm
Thx J

Old 02-04-2019, 11:25 AM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
motulv 300 75-90 for the transmission?? how many quarts? 4?

Old 02-05-2019, 09:11 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I feel more comfortable having the services at the local AM dealer (Morries Aston in Minneapolis). When Chicago was the closest place, I'd ship my car there (and occasionally drive it) for it's annual service. I tend to do annual services and yes, they are around $1,500 to 2,000 for the V12S and the V8's I've owned. I learned to go through the list they have and tell them not to do unnecessary things which saves a bit. One reason I do this every year when winter is done with, is that I get a fresh look for the season, even though it's less than the 10,000 miles. My previous V8 GT (2015), they found minor oil seepage at the timing cover and transaxle - since all my Vantages were either under warranty or extended warranty, that cost was 0$. If you are looking for a v8 Vantage I'd highly recommend buying Certified Used -if anything for the fresh inspection and the year warranty, which you might be able to negotiate an extra year (I did that with my previous 2 V8's I bought.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: V8V 6Speed Reliability