Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V8V 6Speed Reliability

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 10:34 AM
papigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of light
I've had my '12 6speed for 4 yrs now bought it with 5,000 miles just turned 36000 with 9 track days,. do all my own service the cost savings of 1 service paid for my lift. The car is rock solid dependable the only repair has been a fogged tail light. Change the oil every 5K, gear box every 15k and brake fluid yearly or after every 2 track events. Make sure to flush the clutch master with the brake flushes as it for some reason will get black and disgusting pretty quickly and it seems like the clutch works smoother after a good flush.

Old 02-05-2019, 11:17 AM
007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about
I have 2013 V8 with 6 speed manual. Bought it 4 years ago, drove over 5k miles has 8k miles now, no problem at all. Very easy to maintain, specially for me( own a repair/service shop) my local dealer told me once it's $1800 for annual service, I couldn't hold back my laughter... I asked service adviser, what's included in the service, pretty much oil & filter change & flash light inspection. If you can find good indi shop, you can get it done for less than $500 including parts. I do annual oil & filter service regardless of miles( i don't drive more than 2000 miles/per year ) Have a client with V12 vantage, he's last service was around $600 in our shop including parts, my shop labor rate is $110/hr, we do general service on most make and models, but these cars are very similar to jag/ford . So far, my car has been reliable, the only thing was outrageous was timing cover oil leak, but dealer covered that under warranty, (they had to do it twice) sloppy job first time. Parts are little on expensive side, but that's normal for being exotic car. My advise is buy 6 speed manual, I used to have a 08 roadster with sport shift, manual is much better car. Lot of fun. good luck..

Old 02-05-2019, 12:33 PM
Vettel-ish is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by 007JB
I have 2013 V8 with 6 speed manual. Bought it 4 years ago, drove over 5k miles has 8k miles now, no problem at all. Very easy to maintain, specially for me( own a repair/service shop) my local dealer told me once it's $1800 for annual service, I couldn't hold back my laughter... I asked service adviser, what's included in the service, pretty much oil & filter change & flash light inspection. If you can find good indi shop, you can get it done for less than $500 including parts. I do annual oil & filter service regardless of miles( i don't drive more than 2000 miles/per year ) Have a client with V12 vantage, he's last service was around $600 in our shop including parts, my shop labor rate is $110/hr, we do general service on most make and models, but these cars are very similar to jag/ford . So far, my car has been reliable, the only thing was outrageous was timing cover oil leak, but dealer covered that under warranty, (they had to do it twice) sloppy job first time. Parts are little on expensive side, but that's normal for being exotic car. My advise is buy 6 speed manual, I used to have a 08 roadster with sport shift, manual is much better car. Lot of fun. good luck..
Awesome! Thank you!

Old 02-05-2019, 12:35 PM
Yorick is on a distinguished road
@XWCGT > Motulv 300 75-90 is GL-5 rated oil which causes erosion and accelerated wear of the synchromesh rings. I personally use a GL-4 rated transaxle oil which doesn't even mention GL-5 on the label and doesn't have any adverse effects. Suppliers of GL-4 include Amsoil and Red line.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:38 PM
papigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of light
redline makes an 70w80 gl4 which is the closest in spec that I can find to the god awful expensive castrol oem product

Old 02-11-2019, 02:14 PM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by papigko
redline makes an 70w80 gl4 which is the closest in spec that I can find to the god awful expensive castrol oem product
why not use the 75-90 redline makes for LSDs. ive used it in my v8 powered race car for 20 years with great success. if the motul 300v makes things wear out more, and the castrol is too expensive, the redline seems like a no brainer. no?

Old 02-11-2019, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by XWCGT
why not use the 75-90 redline makes for LSDs. ive used it in my v8 powered race car for 20 years with great success. if the motul 300v makes things wear out more, and the castrol is too expensive, the redline seems like a no brainer. no?
ca
I agree 75-90 is a great gear box lube but if you drive in cold weather you realize why Aston went with the Castrol BOT as the shift from 1st to 2nd is difficult with the 75-90 but is fine with the slightly thinner 70-80. in warmer climates I agree it is a no brainer