Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

All New Blue Aston Martin Vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 06:51 PM
popspin is on a distinguished road
Those “bumperettes” are part of federal Regs

look at the back of a Bugatti. Same thing. After you see them for a while they just blend right in and are not an issue, st least to me. I’ll take the protection they provide.
I feel differently than many of you here about the rear end design. I like all that’s going on back there. The difusser is functional and looks purposeful. Nothing boring about it.
The new design has been greeted with very positive reactions in the real world. When mine has been parked and I return to it there have frequently been people asking questions, making very positive comments and taking pictures. So while many owners of the 13 or so year old design may not like it, out in the real world you are a minority. The new design is way more modern and agressive. All sports car, not a semi GT, semi sports car. I have the quad sports exhaust and lightweight wheels. It makes the old design look well, old. While I appreciate and have always loved the classic design why can’t the 2 co-exist with an understanding that AM is attracting former Porsche owners like me? It’s about time Aston moved this car forward instead of offering the same old thing with a mild refresh.
And keep in mind the new Vantage has performance and technology that stomps on the old one. And it feels solid and reliable. So get used to it. It may take time but keep an open mind while you happily bask in the pleasures you get from the previous model. The reactions here are similar to other boards when a distinctly different model is brought to market. Is it sour grapes? People afraid their cars will not look current any more? I wonder how many of the armchair critics have driven the new car?? Actually seen one?? It’s all personal. We don’t have to like the same thing. You can continue to buy the old Vantages. I’ll take the new one.

Last edited by popspin; 01-02-2019 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:34 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by popspin
look at the back of a Bugatti. Same thing. After you see them for a while they just blend right in and are not an issue, st least to me. I’ll take the protection they provide.
I feel differently than many of you here about the rear end design. I like all that’s going on back there. The difusser is functional and looks purposeful. Nothing boring about it.
The new design has been greeted with very positive reactions in the real world. When mine has been parked and I return to it there have frequently been people asking questions, making very positive comments and taking pictures. So while many owners of the 13 or so year old design may not like it, out in the real world you are a minority. The new design is way more modern and agressive. All sports car, not a semi GT, semi sports car. I have the quad sports exhaust and lightweight wheels. It makes the old design look well, old. While I appreciate and have always loved the classic design why can’t the 2 co-exist with an understanding that AM is attracting former Porsche owners like me? It’s about time Aston moved this car forward instead of offering the same old thing with a mild refresh.
And keep in mind the new Vantage has performance and technology that stomps on the old one. And it feels solid and reliable. So get used to it. It may take time but keep an open mind while you happily bask in the pleasures you get from the previous model. The reactions here are similar to other boards when a distinctly different model is brought to market. Is it sour grapes? People afraid their cars will not look current any more? I wonder how many of the armchair critics have driven the new car?? Actually seen one?? It’s all personal. We don’t have to like the same thing. You can continue to buy the old Vantages. I’ll take the new one.

I'm not sure that trying to belittle the previous model is going to be an effective tactic in impressing anyone. The new car is cluttered, independent of comparison to the previous model. When I see the car in person (just looked at a copper one in Minneapolis yesterday in fact), there are some elements that I like, but there are several elements that I don't. It's an unfortunate design because it has strong potential from an overarching standpoint but it falls short on details.

Last edited by blue2000s; 01-02-2019 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:24 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
There's one indisputable measure of a car's design success...sales. Come back in 3 years and compare total sales of the new Vantage vs the first 3 years of the old Vantage. This will determine if AML made the right design decisions, not folks taking pics at a cars & coffee.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:39 PM
W

Originally Posted by blue2000s
I'm not sure that trying to belittle the previous model is going to be an effective tactic in impressing anyone. The new car is cluttered, independent of comparison to the previous model. When I see the car in person (just looked at a copper one in Minneapolis yesterday in fact), there are some elements that I like, but there are several elements that I don't. It's an unfortunate design because it has strong potential from an overarching standpoint but it falls short on details.
I see. So belittling the new car is OK but the reverse is not. Hmmm...really I find some of the comments extremely immature. Like they come from a 5 year old. I’m not here to make friends. I have all the friends need. Apparently you just want an echo chamber to reflect exactly what you think and are not open to something with a very different mission than the old car. The new Vantage is not the old Vantage and I like that you don’t. Fine. Leave it at that.
Just as you are entitled to defend the old car and not like the new one doesn’t make you the sole arbiter of taste. We can appreciate different approaches to design and technology. I prefer newer tech, always have. Doesn’t mean I don’t also appreciate the older design but I find it boring by comparison.
So I put my money where my mouth is. As can you.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:15 PM
007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about

I see. So belittling the new car is OK but the reverse is not. Hmmm...really I find some of the comments extremely immature. Like they come from a 5 year old. I’m not here to make friends. I have all the friends need. Apparently you just want an echo chamber to reflect exactly what you think and are not open to something with a very different mission than the old car. The new Vantage is not the old Vantage and I like that you don’t. Fine. Leave it at that.
Just as you are entitled to defend the old car and not like the new one doesn’t make you the sole arbiter of taste. We can appreciate different approaches to design and technology. I prefer newer tech, always have. Doesn’t mean I don’t also appreciate the older design but I find it boring by comparison.
There is nothing wrong you liking new Vantage. What you'll generally will read here, that owners from old Gen vantage like me, that we don't like new styling/design. because we fell in love with old classic design. I'd never buy new Vantage, even if it was 50k car, it's not to my taste,. simple as that.
Numbers will tell if it was hit or miss in few years time. (Aston announced that it was sold out for year, but $1400 a month lease offers tells me different story)

Enjoy your car.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:56 AM
Originally Posted by 007JB
There is nothing wrong you liking new Vantage. What you'll generally will read here, that owners from old Gen vantage like me, that we don't like new styling/design. because we fell in love with old classic design. I'd never buy new Vantage, even if it was 50k car, it's not to my taste,. simple as that.
Numbers will tell if it was hit or miss in few years time. (Aston announced that it was sold out for year, but $1400 a month lease offers tells me different story)

Enjoy your car.
Hi:
i totally get it. I LOVE your car! Please understand that. I always have and always will. It is classic, sleek, classy and timeless. My interest in Aston has been decades long.
I believe the 2 can co-exist. I don’t want to convince anybody who doesn’t like it to change their taste but to understand there are some of us who find both desireable.
Sometimes our choices depend on use. For me this is my daily driver. I am a tech type guy who likes old and new. Needing a daily driver my preference is to have some of the qualities I find in the new version.
I admit to disappointment when I first saw the new Vantage. Where did that sleek Classiness go? What’s with that grill? Why all the “stuff” on it? Those headlights? The interior buttons? What were they thinking?
Now I have come to love all that. I get it. It took some time but I’m just so pleased with the new Vantage. A full review will be done in February when I’ll explain myself more fully.
I agree that we should each enjoy our chosen Vantage and allow the other to enjoy theirs. And we are each entitled to drive a car that reflects our own tastes and needs. Peace!

Last edited by popspin; 01-03-2019 at 06:59 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:34 AM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough

Name calling is going to be even less effective at endearing people than criticizing the previous model. Aesthetics are subjective, it doesn't matter how hard you try, the people who think it's a fussy design aren't going to change their minds. And I'm not likely to stop pointing out my opinion. Hopefully you bought your car for you to enjoy, not to impress anyone else, in which case, I hope you enjoy your car.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by blue2000s
Name calling is going to be even less effective at endearing people than criticizing the previous model. Aesthetics are subjective, it doesn't matter how hard you try, the people who think it's a fussy design aren't going to change their minds. And I'm not likely to stop pointing out my opinion. Hopefully you bought your car for you to enjoy, not to impress anyone else, in which case, I hope you enjoy your car.
Hi blue2000:
Please read my response above. I make my love and respect for your Vantage clear. I also understand why you don’t find the new Vantage as appealing as I do. That’s all fine.
If you read my critical post carefully you will note I didn’t name call; I made an observation on the comments, not the people who made them. There is s difference.
You obviously don’t know me because if you did you would know I could care less what others think of what I drive. I buy my cars for me, not others. So in response to your comment about buying the car to enjoy, not impress others, yes, I bought the car for my own selfish pleasure!😃 And yes. I’m loving every minute of owning and driving it. And I have been taken by surprise with the very positive unsolicited responses from others. Just as I used to be one who was, and still is, enamored with your Vantage.
My posts are not intended to alter your preferences but to let you know there are new Vantage owners out there very pleased with their cars. What you and other previous Vantage owners find fussy and over-done I find appropriately sporty and aggressive. That’s fine it would be a boring world if we all agreed on everything. You do want Aston to succeed, right? So the more of me there are over the next few years the better off we will all be as owners. I don’t want you to stop expressing your opinions either and trust you will be OK with a civil exchange of thoughts counter to yours.
BTW, we do all agree on the inadequate size of the dual exhaust pipes on the version. That’s why I got the quad sports exhaust! But the little guys still sound quite good. The quads, even better.
Many factors affect the decisions we make on a car purchase. Your needs and desires differ from mine.
Just for grins I will try to attach 1 picture of my new Vantage from its least controversial angle!😂
Be well. And continue to enjoy your classy car.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:39 PM
davidm17 is on a distinguished road
That's a gorgeous color. Which color is it? The side profile is definitely the best. Darker colors make the carbon fiber pieces blend much better and not stand out like on the blue car or other light colors. If I were going to have one it would definitely be something similar to yours.

Looks are subjective and opinionated. Saying you don't like something is not belittling. It's an opinion. I don't like how busy they made the rear of the car; never will. That's my opinion. There are lots of good things about the new car; I don't think the rear end is one of them. Other people have a different opinion. That's the way it goes for pretty much every car.

David

Old 01-04-2019, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by davidm17
That's a gorgeous color. Which color is it? The side profile is definitely the best. Darker colors make the carbon fiber pieces blend much better and not stand out like on the blue car or other light colors. If I were going to have one it would definitely be something similar to yours.

Looks are subjective and opinionated. Saying you don't like something is not belittling. It's an opinion. I don't like how busy they made the rear of the car; never will. That's my opinion. There are lots of good things about the new car; I don't think the rear end is one of them. Other people have a different opinion. That's the way it goes for pretty much every car.

David
Hi David:
Magnetic silver.
Totally agree with your comments. And understand why you wouldn’t like the busy rear end.
I wonder a partial source of our differences was Aston using the Vantage nameplate on a car with a different focus? The differences between the cars could attract different customers. But with so much value and recognition in the Vantage name it was used again.
Anyways, just a thought.
Regardless, I am happy to have mine as you are happy to have yours. That’s all good.

Last edited by popspin; 01-04-2019 at 11:59 AM.