Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Piano black ski slope

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 09:39 AM
Hedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the rough
Piano black ski slope

I picked up a new piano black ski slope for my 4.7 V8 manual and wondered about protecting the finish before installation. Has anyone clear wrapped or otherwise "treated" theirs? I don't want to dull the finish in any way but, as it's sitting free pre-install, this is my best opportunity to mitigate future exposure.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:07 AM
dpath is an unknown quantity at this point
My piano black ski slope had been wrapped with film by a previous owner. The film didn’t stop the finish from cracking underneath (in fact it may have promoted the cracking). Madera Concepts recommends leaving the car’s windows partially opened when parking in the sun to minimize heat damage.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:46 PM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Clear tint your windshield can help reduce UV and heat gain on the interior of your car if you leave it out in the sun

Old 01-11-2019, 11:24 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Hedged
I picked up a new piano black ski slope for my 4.7 V8 manual and wondered about protecting the finish before installation. Has anyone clear wrapped or otherwise "treated" theirs? I don't want to dull the finish in any way but, as it's sitting free pre-install, this is my best opportunity to mitigate future exposure.
I would polish the slope to as perfect as a finish as possible, then put a film on it no problem. Wont diminish the slope hardly at all. But will prevent any and all scratches on it. I would though caution on the removal of the film. Only thinking about it due to the veneer on the slope. Removal will pull on that surface alot. Question: why did you get a new one? If your old one is scratches up, I would love to see if I could polish out all the marks and could see how the film reacts to it at the same time.

I might have a slope I can try for you if you also wish. I have to dig it out tomorrow. I also can get you a piece of 3m pro film for it if you want to do it yourself if safe.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:39 AM
Hedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for the helpful replies, and here's a fuller account for others having their own piano black saga. I originally had the waterfall replaced under warranty when I purchased my roadster in 2014 from Penske Scottsdale Bentley; it was new dealer stock but had some minor interior issues to deal with, no doubt from the Arizona heat. I had the waterfall replaced again under warranty two years later, and this again was for cracking veneer. Fast forward two years (22K miles and off warranty at this point) and very fine cracks have appeared from each corner of the GPS panel extending to the corners of the waterfall. They are symmetrical and VERY hard to see or feel, and almost look like part of the design. No other scratches or flaws, so I have never been in a hurry to spend big dollars to replace. Knowing the quality of their work, I considered sending off to Madera, or even wrapping to cover the minor flaw. But I also kept an eye out for an OEM part at a discount, which I was lucky enough to find new for an excellent price. There are two very good certified PPF installers here in Charlotte that I have dealt with, so I am going to check into the windshield as well as clear waterfall wrap. And I am curious to better examine my existing waterfall once removed. FYI the piano black veneer appears to be high quality and is metal-backed (at least in later Vantages).

Old 01-12-2019, 10:47 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
My piano black has no scratches after 9 years... would you cover a grand piano in plastic film?

it's gets very little use...

Old 01-14-2019, 07:44 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Regular car wax or sealer does the trick; you may want to mask over the leather so the wax doesn't touch it when applying.

I use Pledge or another brand of furniture polish/spray on the wood when dusting the interior.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:19 PM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
Replaced mine with a piano black and didn't have any issues with scratches. Just furniture spray and a clean microfiber to dust it off every now and then.