Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

db9/vantage brake caliper bolts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 11:49 AM
randyb will become famous soon enoughrandyb will become famous soon enough
db9/vantage brake caliper bolts

Are you supposed to replace the bolts when changing the pads?
Read online and wanted to verify, as I have never heard of this being done before.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:42 PM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
You only need to replace the bolts if you remove the calipers (like when you replace the discs)..

Not necessary when just changing pads.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:48 PM
randyb will become famous soon enoughrandyb will become famous soon enough
I always take the caliper off to replace pads, so I can clean them up. Thanks, now I got to go back and replace the bolts.

Old 03-06-2019, 01:00 PM
davidm17 is on a distinguished road
Is there something special about the caliper bolts on the Vantage? I've removed calipers on many different cars and never replaced the bolts.

Old 03-06-2019, 01:33 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Torque to yield bolts, manufacturer's specify replacement of all TTY bolts when removed. Steel bolts that stretch are being refit into aluminum threads. Safety items. Be aware of the stages of torque when fitting new ones. 30Nm then 80*

Old 03-06-2019, 02:55 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
I re-used my bolts after removing the calipers. Been 4 years, calipers haven't fallen off yet. But I don't use my brakes that hard, so who knows what would happen under track day conditions...

Old 03-06-2019, 03:16 PM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by J doubleU
Torque to yield bolts, manufacturer's specify replacement of all TTY bolts when removed. Steel bolts that stretch are being refit into aluminum threads. Safety items. Be aware of the stages of torque when fitting new ones. 30Nm then 80*
Interesting comment. I just reviewed by Aston Workshop manual and could not find a specific reference to this. Is this just a general reference you are making? I am aware of TTY bolt criteria but is is ususally spelled out and is ususally for high torque applications 30Nm +90 is not alot of torque When bolting into AL, the AL will yield way before the steel bolt

Last edited by MRCW; 03-06-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:24 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Straight from the shop manual, refit brake caliper and install 2 new bolts. Then a disclaimer about how it could fail if you do not. Then the torque spec. As above 30Nm and 80*.