Notices
Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Test drove - really wanted to like it

Old 04-13-2019, 08:11 AM
Mike Gray will become famous soon enough
Great thread, and great advice! Reminded me of why I like my V8V MT so much. For the reasons mentioned above, I would also strongly suggest a 2013+ car if your budget permits.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:52 AM
Basic Sponsor
Redpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender View Post
I'm not loving my Michelins, I like the ride better, but it's almost killed the fun of the car. They will not spin like the AM9's did, they won't spin at all, Rich, how the hell are you sliding around corners with these things on, or are you breaking lots of stuff too? LOL so drifting turns is on the back burner until these get another winter on and hopefully get a little less sticky! Yes, it's better handling if you're looking for a planted car but I prefer the *** hanging if I get the itch, and now I'm too scared to scratch it. Broke a joint in the axle where I would usually be running the onramp sideways 50 yards leaving the stadium after loosing to the Cowboys, first time I lit into them since I had them put on, and broke the damn car.Violent wheel hop, and it was 25* out. Ends up $6300 because it wasn't found on the way in to the box, so I had the box pulled and checked. Putting it all back together he finds the loose joint............ Still love my mechanic, we all make mistakes, but that wasn't cheap..... Just the axle is $1600 installed, they expressed it out of the UK though.
Funny enough, I had to relearn how to drive the car when I first switched to Michelins. My car had Hankook Ventus V12 Evo tires on it, which were a fun and cheap summer tire. My first ever track day was at Road Atlanta, and I couldn't get the car to do what my instructor was telling me. We were both getting really frustrated - him at me and me at the car. Then I turned the traction control off and felt an immediate difference. Within a few laps I was learning to throttle steer the car. (For those that haven't done this, it's when you hold a consistent steering input, but you change the amount of throttle you're giving the car, and this can then change how much you're turning into the corner without actually changing how much you're turning the steering wheel.) It was a complete revelation and I was able to toss the car around really easily between actual steering inputs and throttle steering.

Then I switched to Michelin Pilot Super Sports (this was long before the MPS4S was released). I had to relearn to drive the car because they had so much more grip in comparison to the Hankooks that I couldn't break them loose so easily. I had to learn how to drive actual lines on the track - a good thing, sure, but definitely changed how I drive the car on track. It was for the better, but I'll admit those Hankooks were a lot of fun.

With the way my car is set up, I can still break the MPS4S tires loose, even with having 305's in the rear like I do now. Less weight + lots of goodies

Originally Posted by HabitualOffender View Post
Rich, Stuart, anybody, please make custom switches [or find replacements] that you can pull up click to close the window. It's nice it goes down with one push, but, who doesn't want one that goes up with one touch also! The last 3 cars I had all did.
Might be something DivinaTech could do. That's more in line with stuff they tinker with.

[email protected]
Old 04-13-2019, 09:56 AM
blue2000s has a spectacular aura aboutblue2000s has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Redpants View Post
Within a few laps I was learning to throttle steer the car. (For those that haven't done this, it's when you hold a consistent steering input, but you change the amount of throttle you're giving the car, and this can then change how much you're turning into the corner without actually changing how much you're turning the steering wheel.) It was a complete revelation and I was able to toss the car around really easily between actual steering inputs and throttle steering.
This skill alone is worth the price of taking a driver's skills training course. You get on a wet skidpad and practice until you figure out how to throttle steer, it's fantastic.

Old 04-13-2019, 10:04 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Redpants View Post
Funny enough, I had to relearn how to drive the car when I first switched to Michelins..
Maybe I'm just too skittish about lighting them up because I'm tired of breaking stuff, but I can still feel how sticky they are. I put the 285's on so I can't imagine throwing 305's around at will. And you can't have much more horsepower than I do. I don't miss the ride of the AM9's but I do miss how easily you could drift them. Maybe I'll have to man up and drop the clutch at 5000 again and see what happens

I can't stand traction control, it's always doing something I don't want it to do exactly when I don't want it doing it. I wish there was a way to permanently turn it off instead of having to every time you start it.

I learned to drive using the throttle to steer when I learned to drive

Last edited by HabitualOffender; 04-13-2019 at 10:06 AM.