Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

New Clear Tail Lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 07:51 PM
kdm
kdm is a glorious beacon of lightkdm is a glorious beacon of lightkdm is a glorious beacon of lightkdm is a glorious beacon of lightkdm is a glorious beacon of light
New Clear Tail Lights

I recently installed new clear tail lights we ordered from Rich @ Redpants. Decided to go with the black vs grey trim. Have been thinking about doing this for a while, however when the original left tail light got wet inside, after driving through a major downpour while returning home from our daughter's place, it damaged the electronics. Took it apart and dried it out but no luck, so that pushed us over the edge in the decision to go with the clear. The right tail light survived unscathed, so if any one needs a right side, red tail light in excellent shape let me know.

During the install of the new lights, I could see where an improper install could potentially cause the lens to separate from the body, especially at the leading edge where the light wraps around the rear quarter panel. That could open up just enough of a crack to left moisture in.

Also swapped out the battery with a new AGM unit. I keep the car on a CTEK tender when it's not use however, recently it was slow to turn over on a couple of occasions, plus I was getting instances when the side windows would drop but not automatically go back up when opening / closing the doors. Resetting the windows stops didn't help. Since the new battery haven't had an issue.... so far.

Is it possible the car still had the original battery from the factory since 2007? We've had the car for 2 years and I looked through the service history and didn't see any mention of a replacement. It had the Aston Martin logo

Ordered an oil change kit and cabin air filters from Rich that I need to finish up, however our other British car (2000 Jag XKR convertible) recently split a hydraulic line when we tried to put the roof up, so I've been cleaning up from that mess and pulling old hoses and the roof lift cylinders to get everything back to running order. Can't have one of the British cousins mocking the other for not being in top condition.

Last edited by kdm; 04-16-2019 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:47 AM
pearsonhaus will become famous soon enough
Looks great!

Old 04-17-2019, 09:18 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Came out really nice...

Old 04-19-2019, 05:34 AM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future
Much like the headlights the tailights are assembled flawed. Having examined both the red and clear versions there’s no difference in the lack o& a full and consistent seal. They have intermittent sealing that will permit water to enter. If you correct this and seal them properly they fail to exhal3 suffiently and exhibit condensation issues.

If you don’t want the clear set to eventually succumb to the same issues the red set endured you should address these two issues while the set are fully functioning. There is a thread on here that documents correcting the sealing issue and reworking them to allow the necessary exhaling as the internals heat up.

Old 04-22-2019, 01:06 PM
Ascendent will become famous soon enough
Funny story, I am actually in need of a right red taillight. 😥

. @kdm

Old 04-22-2019, 06:26 PM
kdm
kdm is a glorious beacon of lightkdm is a glorious beacon of lightkdm is a glorious beacon of lightkdm is a glorious beacon of lightkdm is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Ascendent
Funny story, I am actually in need of a right red taillight. 😥

. @kdm
PM sent - if you're interested let me know.