Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Value of AM Extended Warranty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 09:02 AM
JL_MPLS will become famous soon enough
Value of AM Extended Warranty?

My 2015 Vantage GT Roadster has the AM extended warranty, which I purchased with the car. I am now close to the end of this first year coverage and wondering whether to renew.

My first year contract paid for itself as I checked out everything that could possibly need repair or replacement. Two taillights and a steering clock screw later, the warranty saved me about $500. I'm comfortable taking the risk of self-insurance, but wondering if the extended warranty adds to the value of the car from a resale perspective. Does it tell a buyer that the current owner cared for the vehicle enough to change the value of the vehicle? Will a buyer pay more to know that they are not exposed to repair expenses?

What is your experience?

Old 05-27-2019, 12:21 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I'm always planning on extending the warranty on my Aston as long as I can - a V12S which is slightly more than the V8 to warrant. When I traded my 2015 V12S on the 2017 last month my Warranty was to be up in June, and combined with the annual inspection and new tires I was looking at $11K+ for the next two years. The trade to the 2017 added 2 1/2 years left on the existing warranty and I bought an extra year - so I'm good for 3 1/2 years. Yesterday I noticed condensation on the right tail light - no problem. Some chrome trim issues - no problem, Minor yes, but as those following my posts know, I had a problematic V12S timeless certified that had a questionable history and Aston replaced it at no extra cost to me. The number of issues were lengthy - and the new owner went through 2 clutches, one engine, about 5 computers, now a possible transaxle problem, two new headlights, and much more... to be fair this was a tracked car before I bought it with 22,000 miles on it. Before the new 2017 car was shipped to me they (Ogara) found the 160 mile car to have a defective clutch and replaced it under warranty.

For me the piece of mind is worth the cost. You would think that an existing extended warranty would make the car on top of the heap if it was for sale, but there is some caveat (conditions) to extend the warranty to the new owner, so you need to find out what is the limitations. Michael Ashby at Morries can fill you in. Did it help me get a good price trading mine in? With about 50 V12S on the market due to leases being up, trade prices were insultingly low for a V12S. It was not the right timing, but getting a 2017 in ideal colors and no previous owner was something hard to resist. I almost paid for two extra years warranty up front at the sale, but since it was not being discounted, I'd rather my local dealer make the sale in the future.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:50 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Noticed yesterday - both tail lights have condensation, will be replaced under warranty. On my 2015 V8 GT I called in - no questions asked, they ordered new tail lights without having to see them. Now I had to take pictures and prove it before they would order them. Not a big deal but it shows some changes over the years.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:31 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
When a company goes public, shareholders are the reason of change, everything is counted and reported. Oh yes, there is a form for that request sir. And we shall require photographs to proceed with your claim and authorization to order said parts.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:43 AM
Absolutely - I was actually shocked they needed no proof in 2015, but it does show the difference, and I think you are correct that a public company must be different than a privately held one. I actually thought the problem was only one tail light, but when I took the picture I was able to notice condensation in the corner of the other light, so it actually helped.

Old 05-29-2019, 03:05 PM
JL_MPLS will become famous soon enough
I had exactly the same experience, e.g. I thought it was only one taillight and it was both. Warranty paid off in my first year of ownership. Thanks for your thoughts.