Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Vantage crystal key repair

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 11:08 PM
Psycho123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Vantage crystal key repair

Hi all, I have been looking into getting my first AM and I am getting really close on getting a 09 vantage. I was told by seller the glass key for this car needs repair but the key still works.

I found a site in Europe that claims they can do repair of the key and I was wondering if anybody has any experience or suggestion on fixing the crystal key? Local dealer high lvl quote is $1400 + couple of hours of reprogramming. It will be close to $2000 for a new key.

Old 06-19-2019, 04:41 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Psycho123
Hi all, I have been looking into getting my first AM and I am getting really close on getting a 09 vantage. I was told by seller the glass key for this car needs repair but the key still works.

I found a site in Europe that claims they can do repair of the key and I was wondering if anybody has any experience or suggestion on fixing the crystal key? Local dealer high lvl quote is $1400 + couple of hours of reprogramming. It will be close to $2000 for a new key.
What needs repairs? Does the remote work but you need work on the crystal only? You can buy a new crystal shell and swap the insides.

I've seen the UK ad for repair, upgrades etc. to the key but no experience or knowledge of anyone using their services.

I have a couple of small chips in mine but use the plastic one most of the time. Post a pic or two if you can

Last edited by MRCW; 06-19-2019 at 04:44 AM.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:24 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
I have a small chip in mine, there when I bought it. I fumble fingered the shot out of the module twice now, didn't add any. Watched the guy doing my state inspection do the same thing. I have a few dents in the aluminum shift surround, it's where it always seems to land. Don't sweat the small stuff. If you do, buy the shell from ambits for much cheaper.

Granted, I haven't even washed winter off the car yet, the wheels are, bad, and it still looks stunning.

I always knew, after a few years it would just be another used car. It's a DD and always will be. I don't have a garage but wouldn't use it anyway unless a nor'easter was coming just to keep the flying debris off it, but then it's collecting enough rock chips soon enough I'm not going to worry about that much either.

Old 06-23-2019, 04:21 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I always fumble with the key as if someone at the factory oiled the finish just to be funny, or I'm just getting old. Either way, the car came with two keys so when I crack one I have the other. I order a lot from Aston Martin Bits or use their pricing to see if my local dealer can price match (which they often do).

https://www.astonmartinbits.com/mode...age/parts/5382

Old 06-24-2019, 10:24 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
you can have a jeweler fix it for well under a hundred bucks

Old 07-23-2019, 10:34 PM
Psycho123 is an unknown quantity at this point
The entire crystal piece of the key is gone but the key still works. I guess the best way is to order a new shell off astonbits and switch the shell?

Old 07-29-2019, 08:23 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
You should be able to get a new key for $1400ish all programmed. Any other dealer you can call? That place in the UK can fix the key or modify to match the paint, etc... There is also a crystal key repair kit. Dealer says I need to have it done on the next annual. Was like $50 for the kit. I replace the batteries in both keys every annual.

Old 06-02-2021, 03:16 PM
jay flipper is an unknown quantity at this point
I had my glass key repaired and it was a bad experience. The key had a chip on the top. I contacted My Glass Key. He told me to ship the key to him so he could see if it was repairable. He contacted me after receiving the key. He said it was repairable and requested full payment. I sent him full payment. I contacted him numerous times for a couple of months to find out the status. He kept making delivery promises that he did not keep. I finally received the repaired glass key. The top of the glass which is suppose to be flat looked like a ski slope. I contacted him and mentioned that the workmanship was unacceptable and if I knew that he would have repaired it like that I would have put the money towards a replacement glass top. I found that his response back to me was very pompous and unprofessional. Now I know why he wanted full payment upfront. I had no recourse for his very poor workmanship.

Old 06-03-2021, 09:22 PM
Andyb1217 is an unknown quantity at this point
I just purchased a replacement from astonmartinkeyrepair dot com and it was fairly straight forward. Just need to have someone program it for you.