Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Is my clutch K.O.? Vantage AMS Sportshift not moving, violent shake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 08:38 AM
tsctommy2005 is an unknown quantity at this point
tommy

Originally Posted by Flatty
Hello there, Im the "new" owner of a 2008 V8 Vantage N400 AMS ( Sportshift ). Bought it about a month ago. Car has about 45.000 miles. Dont know if Clutch was ever replaced by previous owner (dont think so, nevermind).

So I used the car almost everyday last week. Concerned about the clutch issues Astons have, I tried to take care of the clutch (i.e. doing clutch learns every day, lifting gas pedal a bit wile changing gears upwards, doing the misfire cruise thing, trying not to go into reverse uphill and so, etc.).

2 days ago I moved the car in the backyard to have the car washed by hand, had to move her back and forth a couple times to finally park it. The following day I started the engine, no warning lights, hit the lever to engage 1st gear and then hit the accelerator. Car doesnt move. I double check the hand brake, nothing wrong its disengaged. I panic. Turn car off. Turned on again and did a clutch learn, still not moving. Real panic now. Did 3 or 4 clutch learns in a row, nada. Tried to pull into reverse and nothing happens.

Disconnected battery several hours, makes no difference. So several hours later I decide to try to accelerate much higher to see if it makes any difference, and wow. After hitting 6.000 rpm in 1st gear the clutch suddenly, violently hits and kicks the car forward with a strong "clock", but it does not keep pushing (it only kicks in once). Luckily there was nothing close to hit with the front bumper. Had to move the car from when it was now, so engaged reverse gear and same thing happened, but in the opposite direction.

So now I have to tow the car to an indy shop, but I would like to discuss here first what chances are: Loosen clutch bolts? Broken flywheel? Heavily worn clutch? I didnt feel any slippery cluth the previous days, just the "normal" rattle at low speeds all sportshift are known for.

Do you guys think I will have to replace the whole clutch assembly? Or just the friction plate? I would like to know if this is a complete $4000 clutch work or maybe something more affordable is possible. If I need to reaplce everything then I also dont know If I would go for a single or twin plate clutch.

P.S. Oh one more thing, now when the engine is running I can notice a tiny vibration in the steering wheel/car...

Thanks in advance!
i purchesed my 07v8 roadster recently, and i experienced the same with you, cant move the car even i shift D/1st/R until hit 5-6000rpm and the clutch engaged in sudden that scared me. But this not happen forever, after i remove the codes that related o2sensors, then my caf can move. always happen this issue but not all the time. when i have this issue, i just use my odb2 to remove the codes (but actually cant see any codes related to gearbox, it shows no code on it) after removing the codes , the car can go

may i know wt is your solution. please let me know. i am so confused! thx mate!