Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Would you: Get out of the Vantage and get into a C8?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 05:03 PM
I_gotta_Vantage will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by MRCW
A Chevy is not an exotic... $98k Corvette is a good buy...? really?

look out 3 to 5 years... where will a Chevy be...?
$98K is high... very... 2LT’s should come in around $75-$80K

I’m climbing down that $98K ladder...

Maybe Chevy aint exotic but this C8 is the best knock off rolling today....

Old 07-14-2020, 05:19 PM
Ksa
Ksa is an unknown quantity at this point
For the older Vantage in a heart beat without even thinking about it. For the new Vantage - never.

Old 07-14-2020, 05:29 PM
TheDream829 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Ksa
For the older Vantage in a heart beat without even thinking about it. For the new Vantage - never.
This was what I meant to say.

Old 07-14-2020, 06:22 PM
61mga will become famous soon enough
seeing as i've never been a 'vette guy, would i trade my 2007 18,000 mile vantage for a new LT3 'vette? i might...maybe. but everyone knows that the C8 is a bargain and seeing as i'm already known to be a cheap guy, and i don't want to advertise it, i might not.. i'd probably prefer a 2009-2012 cayman S to the C8 everything considered, assuming i could find one for sale that is. they seem to be about as rare as hen's teeth.

Last edited by 61mga; 07-15-2020 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:17 PM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
what about a 718 Boxter GTS 4.0? I've had my eyes on one... seems perfect for me

can't do a vette yet

Old 07-15-2020, 04:25 AM
ViaHuerto is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by sonies
what about a 718 Boxter GTS 4.0? I've had my eyes on one... seems perfect for me

can't do a vette yet
I'd take the Boxster GTS 4.0 over the Corvette in a minute. Agree with Prefurbia regarding interior layout and paint matching on the Vette. The few I've seen on the street look like they were slammed together by a three year old in the sandbox. But to each their own, glad to see Chevy put the effort into it and great to see, right now, so many options in the sports category. What I like about my Aston is it blurs between sports and gt and doesn't suffer at all in either category. The car lacks tech and and a few bits of fit and finish aren't up to spec but it is a car with a heart and a personality and that means a Lott.

Old 07-15-2020, 08:34 AM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
I don't like the styling, inside or out, I don't like brake by wire. I don't like electric power steering. I definitely don't like that an automatic is the only transmission option. I do very much like the proportions, driving position, and visibility of rear-mid engine cars, but it's not enough. It's probably the best Corvette yet, but it has no appeal to me. OP, the exclusivity you mention (means absolutely nothing to me but it) is very temporary. You'll see multiple C8s at car meets and generally driving around (slowly) in short order. This is roughly the same price as the C7 after all.

Last edited by blue2000s; 07-15-2020 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:21 PM
007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about
Not for me. I don't care how fast it drives & all that blend electronics inside every car.
IMHO- side air intakes are horrendous , it sticks out & makes the car look like hot wheels model.. I'll be bored in no time. even after 6 year owning Vantage, I still stare at it almost every time..... Nough said..
But to each of his own, my suggestion is, you should do whatever your hearth desires, specially now days....... life is too short.

Old 07-16-2020, 09:24 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
If all I cared about was speed, yes. Since I am an Aston owner that almost by default means speed isn't at the top of my list. So no I won't be considering going to a C8. Since I am still a previous gen Aston owner that also means I won't be going to the new Vantage.

Old 07-16-2020, 12:39 PM
AstonCarma is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by deckman
If all I cared about was speed, yes. Since I am an Aston owner that almost by default means speed isn't at the top of my list. So no I won't be considering going to a C8. Since I am still a previous gen Aston owner that also means I won't be going to the new Vantage.
Agreed. The C8 is one of the best values for speed out there today. I agree it also looks really nice. But since they produced that vehicle to be so affordable in relation to its performance, there will be more of them on the road. For me, my Aston exudes exclusivity. That is the reason I drive it and I cannot get that in a C8 Corvette.

Old 07-16-2020, 04:47 PM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
Thought I'd weigh in here. I don't own an AM (yet, or still) but I did a lot of "looking" at the C8; enough looking that I thought of giving up my Bentley Continental GT for one. After almost a year at it, I've given up on the C8 and pursuing an R8 at this time. Here is my take on the C8 and I'll say I've owned 3 Vettes in the past:

Pros:
1. Good Looks
2. Speed - good 0-60, but then this LT2 pretty much dies. It really needs FI to make up a flat mid/top range; but, I expect this is setting up the C8Z06.
3. Cheap by any nice car standards

Cons:
1. Never, never, never, never, never buy a first production year GM. That includes this C8. The several that are out there are experiencing lots of "niggles" too many to list.
2. You won't walk in any Chevy dealer and buy one. BC these cars are cheap, the "standard" for ownership drops pretty low....so everyone and his brother are buying.
3. Because everyone and his brother are buying these cars, production is spoken for, it looks like, through the 2021 MY. Some buyers with more money than sense are paying prices ridiculously over MSRP. Some dealers that end up with a cancellation are selling for as much as $40K over.
4. In typical Chevy fashion, once MASS production catches up with new car angst, these will be all over the place and available for any offer you want to make.

Finally, thought I'd throw this in - If you do end up with one, make sure your Chevy servicing dealer figures out this is a mid-engine car and balances differently on a two-post lift. This happened at one of those dealers servicing a C8 for a noisy cooling fan (yes, one of those many niggles):

Last edited by BWings; 07-16-2020 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-16-2020, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by BWings
Thought I'd weigh in here. I don't own an AM (yet, or still) but I did a lot of "looking" at the C8; enough looking that I thought of giving up my Bentley Continental GT for one. After almost a year at it, I've given up on the C8 and pursuing an R8 at this time. Here is my take on the C8 and I'll say I've owned 3 Vettes in the past:

Pros:
1. Good Looks
2. Speed - good 0-60, but then this LT2 pretty much dies. It really needs FI to make up a flat mid/top range; but, I expect this is setting up the C8Z06.

Cons:
1. Never, never, never, never, never buy a first production year GM. That includes this C8. The several that are out there are experiencing lots of "niggles" too many to list.
2. You won't walk in any Chevy dealer and buy one. BC these cars are cheap, the "standard" for ownership drops pretty low....so everyone and his brother are buying.
3. Because everyone and his brother are buying these cars, production is spoken for, it looks like, through the 2021 MY. Some buyers with more money than sense are paying prices ridiculously over MSRP. Some dealers that end up with a cancellation are selling for as much as $40K over.
4. In typical Chevy fashion, once MASS production catches up with new car angst, these will be all over the place and available for any offer you want to make.

Finally, thought I'd throw this in - If you do end up with one, make sure your Chevy servicing dealer figures out this is a mid-engine car and balances differently on a two-post lift. This happened at one of those dealers servicing a C8 for a noisy cooling fan (yes, one of those many niggles):

Very, very good insight... The prices are crazy to the point its starting to look like a “wait” for me when the “real” used market kicks in.... Some dealerships are posting they have one just to get the phones ringing._

I just looked at the COVID map for Bowling Green, KY and its the hotest spot in KY... If that plant has to shut down again the C8 will be a 2022 order...

copart has 3 C8’s for bid...

https://www.copart.com/vehicleFinder...way%22:null%7D

Old 07-16-2020, 06:41 PM
ccfulton is on a distinguished road
On the bright side, this guy gets an chance to turn one of those niggles into a check he can take down the street to the Aston Martin store.

Old 07-16-2020, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by BWings

Pros:
1. Good Looks

Cons:

If I had a broker in FL I would bid on it! It still runs! 😏. Between copart and ebay, Im sure I could put one back together faster than Chevy will deliver....

Old 07-16-2020, 07:51 PM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by I_gotta_Vantage
If I had a broker in FL I would bid on it! It still runs! 😏. Between copart and ebay, Im sure I could put one back together faster than Chevy will deliver....
Interesting, we are probably cut of the same cloth. I would attempt almost anything car related. The challenge on this one is no spare parts are out there right now, unless you can find another wrecked one with different damage.

One of those "niggles" is the DCT by Tremec. Apparently "some" of the examples being delivered right now have trans problems, leaks, SW issues. One guy has had his car in the shop for 60 days now. It's not driveable and GM wants to replace it but cannot deliver a replacement trans.
Another issue - several have experienced the front hood/trunk flying open at speed with the obvious outcomes. Apparently, there is NO second safety catch. The replacement hood (in the correct color) are not too forthcoming. All parts are being used up to build new cars so the parts world is dry, probably for some time to come.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Would you: Get out of the Vantage and get into a C8?