Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

GMR Superchanger PRE-0rder w/ Redpants?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2020, 03:39 PM
BlueCrush is on a distinguished road
Angry GMR Superchanger PRE-0rder w/ Redpants?

Who here have pre-ordered the GMR SC with Redpants?

Don't know about you guys but the the excitement of getting this product is gone a year later and 6 months after a deposit with no product and a lot of weight taken out of my bank account it is very disappointing.

Yes, I understand covid-19 happened shutting the world down an extra patiences was needed but I think at this point any reasonable person would be out of patience. My understanding is they are waiting a 1 or 2 components from a sub-vendor overseas. Even if there is one person making these parts this still should have been accomplished by now.

This is like a pretty lady stringing you along for months and you have invested time and money looking forward to a life of happiest with her and have nothing to show for your efforts. Or Acura NSX 3yrs later after their announcement the excitement is gone when it finally was available.

I'm at the point i feel like canceling my order and move on didn't think the extra power is worth it at this point.

Old 08-29-2020, 05:27 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by BlueCrush
Who here have pre-ordered the GMR SC with Redpants?

This is like a pretty lady stringing you along for months and you have invested time and money looking forward to a life of happiest with her and have nothing to show for your efforts.

Never let any woman string you along. It never ends well for either of you.

The real question is whether you can cancel the order and actually get your money back? That my friend will tell the tale. After seeing the Bamford Rose videos about the GMR SC I would personally be petrified about having one on a Vantage. But some peoples risk threshold for adding power are alot higher than mine.

Old 08-29-2020, 09:33 PM
The real question is whether you can cancel the order and actually get your money back? That my friend will tell the tale. After seeing the Bamford Rose videos about the GMR SC I would personally be petrified about having one on a Vantage. But some peoples risk threshold for adding power are alot higher than mine.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=SheriffDep;4849328]Never let any woman string you along. It never ends well for either of you.

You're right they always lead to bad decision.

I saw that bamford rose video too it was concerning after that too. I'm sure an attorney would think otherwise if the normal business practice fails for a refund.

Old 08-30-2020, 07:02 AM
MichaelD will become famous soon enough
I'm a bit more relaxed about the Bamford Rose video, Mike does tend to be highly critical of anything they don't do themselves. Or maybe he's just highly cautious about any mods until they have tried it themselves.

Remember those raging arguments a few years ago about whether a tune would wreck your engine, and nobody should ever put a tune an Aston V8, well, there are plenty of people on here with a VelocityAP tune and they are delighted with it. Never heard from anyone that has had an engine blow up following a tune, and BR now do tunes on engines.

I do believe there is a problem with these engines if they go too far over 500bhp, but that is with conventional tuning, boring out the engine etc., there are very few people that have turbocharged or supercharged these engines, so the most knowledgeable real expert with supercharged water injection Aston V8s is GMR, and they have done over 100k miles on their demo.

BlueCrush, I completely understand your frustration with the current situation, but in your position, I'd hang on for the opportunity to own one of the most powerful Aston Martins on the road.

Old 08-30-2020, 11:03 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by MichaelD
I'm a bit more relaxed about the Bamford Rose video, Mike does tend to be highly critical of anything they don't do themselves. Or maybe he's just highly cautious about any mods until they have tried it themselves.

Remember those raging arguments a few years ago about whether a tune would wreck your engine, and nobody should ever put a tune an Aston V8, well, there are plenty of people on here with a VelocityAP tune and they are delighted with it. Never heard from anyone that has had an engine blow up following a tune, and BR now do tunes on engines.

I do believe there is a problem with these engines if they go too far over 500bhp, but that is with conventional tuning, boring out the engine etc., there are very few people that have turbocharged or supercharged these engines, so the most knowledgeable real expert with supercharged water injection Aston V8s is GMR, and they have done over 100k miles on their demo.

BlueCrush, I completely understand your frustration with the current situation, but in your position, I'd hang on for the opportunity to own one of the most powerful Aston Martins on the road.
I agree that some of Bamford responses can be attributed to competition, like YouTube car guys arguing who builds a better car, but some of what he was saying is highly concerning. Enough in my thoughts to worry about imploding an engine. Not a cheap deal. Seen many Mustang and Corvette engines detonate in the early days of SC with Vortechs but those could be a 5k mistake, not a 15k one or more.

The highest worry would be due to how bad small businesses have been because of Covid is if he wanted to get the money back; Could he actually get it back. I would say yes due to Redpants being a stand up company but due to all his issues the past year he may or may not have those funds, especially if several people wanted a refund. Who knows, but those are or would be my initial worries. Lawyer? Cant get blood out of a turnip.

Old 08-30-2020, 08:11 PM
You both have good points, like MichaelD said they've had this on their demo car for 6yrs and 100k miles so I'm not too worried about engine failure. I've looked into GMR for years now and this SC set-up so it's a good product they just need to get it to our market.

SheriffDep hit the nail on the head regarding covid and small business going under you just never know. I will say I have been doing business with Redpants for years for my maintenance and he's always responsive to questions but when a side jig becomes your main jig and then covid happens things change responsiveness change. One main thing about any business whether fortune 500 company or small business you can have the best product but if your services declines so will everything else.

I think mom and teachers lied to me, I thought you could get "blood out of a turnip".... LOL....

Old 08-30-2020, 10:27 PM
M I Six has much to be proud ofM I Six has much to be proud ofM I Six has much to be proud ofM I Six has much to be proud ofM I Six has much to be proud ofM I Six has much to be proud ofM I Six has much to be proud ofM I Six has much to be proud of
I would not be worried about the GMR SC, the BR rant was all conjecture with no facts other his seat of the pants test drive of a customer's car.

I have seen several high compression (10:1 to 11:1) cars in our local clubs running 6 to 8psi boost with water or Meth injection. The amount of boost you can run on a boosted motor depends more on the effective/dynamic compression ratio (taking both compression ratio and intake valve closure timing into account) than it does on simply the static compression ratio (swept volume/combustion chamber volume).

Having not driven the kit myself, nor put it on a dyno, I can not vouch for the GMR kit, only that many cars with similar compression are boosted with great results. Hitting 600HP on low boost for a 4.7L is very attainable. I am guessing the one he drove had other issues.
Here's a 4.3L making 550WHP on the dyno. (Not GMR but proves the point).

The most important thing would be the communication you have received so far. If Rich is updating you often and pushing GMR on your behalf, all should be good. If on the other hand it's crickets until you ping him, that could be an issue. COVID may slow down shipping or even production, however it should not slow down communication.

Old 08-31-2020, 12:48 AM
V12Stealth is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by MichaelD
100% agree with this statement. He says some outright stupid stuff sometimes. I remember one of his videos he said that if you're going to be driving quickly down backroads you need to get the 6 piston brake upgrade to prevent fade. I've literally tracked a DB9 with stock brakes and haven't experienced brake fade.

Old 08-31-2020, 05:15 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen! Rich dropped the mic and have left the building.....

Our community appreciate you and what you do.

Old 08-31-2020, 05:32 PM
PFTF is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm new to the AML world, but personally I'd like to say "thanks" to Rich for answering my stupid questions via email!

Old 08-31-2020, 08:47 PM
M I Six has much to be proud ofM I Six has much to be proud ofM I Six has much to be proud ofM I Six has much to be proud ofM I Six has much to be proud ofM I Six has much to be proud ofM I Six has much to be proud ofM I Six has much to be proud of
I can vouch for delays from Italy. Ordered my VS wheels in January, Covid hit, wheels arrived beginning of July. Original quote was 5 weeks.

Rich coming from the community, starting part time, then full time, earns a little slack for sure. Hard enough to take the leap of faith, but then add in Covid and it's real tough. My initial interactions with Rich were nothing short of amazing. Last transaction for Hawk pads was not stellar, but I assumed it was not par for the course. If I don't get a "new to me" 2020 AMR v8v this winter, the GMR SC will be going on my current vantage.

People generally don't mind waiting as much as they mind being ignored. Keeping up on communication is a challenge for small businesses in that critical range right before being able to hire helpers. When it's a 1.5 man job but not a 2 man job quite yet. Staying involved in the communities that are responsible for building the brand is equally critical yet equally as tough to do. Best thing you can do is get as $10 to $15/hr part time assistant to handle simple emails and help process orders. The business owner is simply over skilled for that part of the job, their resources are better spent in building the brand and vendor relations.

I've built several business now. The first 3 I waited as long as I could to hire assistants, and each time asked myself why I didn't do it much early, seeing how productive I was in areas that matter most once freed up. If I'm packing and shipping, or answering emails that someone with a little knowledge and an FAQ folder could answer, I'm not building the brand or developing new products.

Find a kid from your local car groups that wants a few hours while in college. You'll be glad you did. If paying out $300 a week is a deal killer, reevaluate the business model.

Niche vendors don't get cart blanche, they still have to provide solid service, however folks in that Niche market need to support their vendors to ensure the niche can function. Imagine if the only choice was the dealership?

Old 09-01-2020, 06:22 AM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
Never let any woman string you along. It never ends well for either of you.

The real question is whether you can cancel the order and actually get your money back? That my friend will tell the tale. After seeing the Bamford Rose videos about the GMR SC I would personally be petrified about having one on a Vantage. But some peoples risk threshold for adding power are alot higher than mine.
in ground school I teach the guys.....start on the third date 😁
sex first then dinner and if it’s still happens you can meet the parents .....this model has always worked very well for me

Old 09-01-2020, 07:57 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Related to parts - I have a 2020 Buick Encore GX - I used the seat heat on the passengers side (my wife was cold) a few weeks ago. There was a short and it destroyed the seat! Buick does not even have any clue as to how long it will take to get a replacement seat - so if General Motors can't get parts on a seat with fried leather, a small supplier would be probably worse off. We just need to be patient. I appreciate the efforts Red Pants has made,

Old 09-01-2020, 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by captain Greg
in ground school I teach the guys.....start on the third date 😁
sex first then dinner and if it’s still happens you can meet the parents .....this model has always worked very well for me
Great advice!!!! Dates are NOT cheap; in this day and age if by the third date there is no physical chemistry taking place walk away. Typically guys spend a small fortune and get strung along while the woman is deciding whether she likes him better than another guy; all too often she then decides to go with the hot guy she just met and then you just wasted a ton of cash. Always waiting on something better. Hence all the 30 somethings out there with one to two kids who is divorced thinking they will find Mr. Right. Too late!!!!!

Old 09-01-2020, 11:57 AM
JaguarSVR is an unknown quantity at this point
Rich,

I was going to ask about time frames on the lightweight battery tray becoming available, but I will refrain.

I ordered some parts for my Vantage a while back, but now I know to expect some delays on that as well.

Sounds like you are dealing with a true shi#storm!!

My condolences to you and yours.

Hang in there!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GMR Superchanger PRE-0rder w/ Redpants?