Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Buying Your First Vantage Checklist Pt 1

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2020, 11:12 AM
V8Vdrew is a jewel in the roughV8Vdrew is a jewel in the roughV8Vdrew is a jewel in the roughV8Vdrew is a jewel in the rough
Buying Your First Vantage Checklist Pt 1

Hey guys, I thought I might share some consolidated knowledge that may be helpful for someone looking to purchase their Vantage.

As some of you may know, I recently purchased my 2013 V8V and I wanted to share some insight that may help others when buying their first Vantage.

Like many, I have lurked around the forums and researched intensely on what to look for when purchasing my perfect Aston. There is so much good information out there from nice folks like those on this forum, that I was able to compile a lot of what to look for when buying.

If anyone wants the excel form checklist, shoot me a PM and I'll email it. I usually use this checklist when inspecting any cars before purchase, but I added those specifics for Aston in bold on what to look out for. Below are the screenshots.

Part 2 will be years of data I collected on the Vantage to predict the depreciation. This was helpful when negotiating and allowed me to figure out which year was best for me and when I could actually pick one up. It could also be used if you want to sell your car. It was off by 1K or so for my purchase

Sources: Piston Head Forums; 6 Speed Forum; Redpantslol Youtube Videos; Definitive Buyers Guide - Aston Martin; Various other google searches.

Old 09-27-2020, 04:56 PM
Former Vendor
hsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to behold
That is a great list - thank for putting that together.

Some other things that might be added:
Exterior
-Tire date codes - plan to replace anything more than 4-5 years old.
-Center mount brake light function.
-Timing cover leaks.
-Torn driveshaft boots.
Test drive
-Check for all trouble lights on at startup (CEL, ABS, etc - make sure nothing has been hidden).
-Check for temperature gauge reaching mid-range
matt

Old 09-27-2020, 05:59 PM
V8Vdrew is a jewel in the roughV8Vdrew is a jewel in the roughV8Vdrew is a jewel in the roughV8Vdrew is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by hsm precision
That is a great list - thank for putting that together.

Some other things that might be added:
Exterior
-Tire date codes - plan to replace anything more than 4-5 years old.
-Center mount brake light function.
-Timing cover leaks.
-Torn driveshaft boots.
Test drive
-Check for all trouble lights on at startup (CEL, ABS, etc - make sure nothing has been hidden).
-Check for temperature gauge reaching mid-range
matt

Matt, thank you for your inputs. I have updated the spreadsheet accordingly.

I have bolded:
- Center mount brake light function.
-Timing cover leaks.
-Torn driveshaft boots.
-Check for temperature gauge reaching mid-range ==> (I added that it should be 1/4 when warming up and 1/2 when operating)

I left the others unbolded as those pertain to any vehicle.

Thank Matt!

Old 09-27-2020, 07:43 PM
Pt1pt2 will become famous soon enough
Great list - PM sent

Timing cover leak - sounds very expensive. Is this something that can be seen with a casual inspection or does it require a mechanic/PPI to diagnose?

Old 09-27-2020, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Pt1pt2
Great list - PM sent

Timing cover leak - sounds very expensive. Is this something that can be seen with a casual inspection or does it require a mechanic/PPI to diagnose?
Hey Peter. Got your PM. Ill send the file over in the am tomorrow. Saw you were interested in a roadster, so let me update the checklist with some roadster specifics and send it over to you. Also, I am in the process of organizing and finalizing the data (The part 2 I mentioned above) and running a risk distribution with a monte carlo sim. I believe that there is some roadster data in their that I specifically call out. Hope part 2 helps dialing in on a fair and reasonable price for you.

Originally Posted by Redpants
Generally easy to see, just look at the bottom edge of the timing cover and see if there's oil and/or grime built up there.
Glad to see that you are back....or somewhat back. Hope everything is going well with your house and other personal matter.

Old 09-27-2020, 09:01 PM
Pt1pt2 will become famous soon enough
Thanks!

Old 09-28-2020, 06:24 AM
Thanks!
Emailed. Updated the checklist to include some roadster specific checks. I'll try to upload part 2 once I finish normalizing the data, hopefully, that will help set your price point.

Old 09-28-2020, 06:43 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
before you buy... add obtain build sheet

key should be "sapphire" , "valet" also hard key and plastic second fob

check "premium audio" on stereo start up

check if fuse 22 or 15 is pulled

Last edited by MRCW; 09-28-2020 at 06:46 AM.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:23 AM
Originally Posted by MRCW
before you buy... add obtain build sheet

key should be "sapphire" , "valet" also hard key and plastic second fob

check "premium audio" on stereo start up

check if fuse 22 or 15 is pulled
Thanks for the input! Updated.

Included Build Sheet under Before you Buy
Fixed spelling and updated 2nd Key Fob to state plastic.
Included Premium Audio in parentheses next to Radio under interior
Included Fuse 22 and 15 under interior in bold for Aston specific

Old 10-02-2020, 06:30 PM
Answered all PMs and updated to include the BR paint corrosion discussion on his forum chat. Thanks for the inputs, keep them coming. Part 2 should be posted soon.

Old 10-03-2020, 04:58 PM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
Thanks V8Vdrew. I found part one. Appreciate it! Nice work.

Please ignore my request in part two.

All the best!

Old 05-25-2021, 05:53 PM
Dansgt is an unknown quantity at this point
Still have the file for this? Couldn't pm yet, new on here.

Old 05-25-2021, 07:23 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Great list - PM sent

Very easy to see if the car is on a lift also pretty expensive to fix. I think around 5K. My Vantage leaked when idle over a couple of weeks. Weeps at worst when a daily driver. That would be pretty high on my check list if buying a Vantage along with surface corrosion. Not so easy to see looking over the car, but impossible to forget once discovered.

Old 05-25-2021, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by Dansgt
Still have the file for this? Couldn't pm yet, new on here.
I sure do and I have updated it from what other owners have inputted. Shoot me your email to drewhwang@gmail.com and ill send it over tomorrow night. Best of Luck!
Andrew

Old 05-25-2021, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi
Very easy to see if the car is on a lift also pretty expensive to fix. I think around 5K. My Vantage leaked when idle over a couple of weeks. Weeps at worst when a daily driver. That would be pretty high on my check list if buying a Vantage along with surface corrosion. Not so easy to see looking over the car, but impossible to forget once discovered.
Yes, I have heard of that as well. Fingers crossed. My tail lights just went out so in the process of sourcing new ones. Condensation in the tail light and headlight is on the list and it happens more frequently than people think. That and corrosion around the mirror and door handle is common and sometimes on the roof you will see bubbling. All good things you pointed out!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Buying Your First Vantage Checklist Pt 1