Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

From Bingle to Bling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 12:48 AM
Brettannica is an unknown quantity at this point
From Bingle to Bling

Hi all, A few photos attached of my current tale; I purchased my V8V on impulse in July 2019 and have been having a love affair ever since.

Problem is, drivers in the city where I live are useless (and are the running joke for it in Australia).

Picture this... It’s 4:40am and raining, I'm heading to work minding my own business when some **** in a 370Z ricer decides to swerve violently to the right while overtaking me doing 100kph and impact me on the front left resulting in my car impacting the armco barrier on the right hand side at 90kmph and spin 360º.
Luckily all the damage is contained to bolt on parts and a cut and refit to my rear 3/4 panel so all good. The other driver was insured. Here’s the result...

Before...

The ****.

Offside Rear impact with Armco Barrier

Offside front

3 of 4 rims binned

Front nearside original impact tyre transfer

The stock rims have all been x-rayed and are all good. The damage is cosmetic so they are getting sandblasted and restored then wrapped and put away.

I dropped Rich at Redpants an email enquiring about some BC Forged rims and other go fast and shiny bits as the prices are spot on. Freight was proving problematic so I ended up purchasing some via a local vendor out of Queensland.
These are BC Forged RZ21 - 20x9 et40 fronts and 20x11 et50 for the rears in their new Brushed Gunmetal finish. The build quality excellent and they are relatively light for the size.
I was pretty hesitant with the colour at first as I was going to colour match the original rims or choose gloss gunmetal. My aim was to use the colour of the rims as a transitional colour as the trim (window surrounds), side strakes and backing mesh/hood mesh, rear valance and front grill are being re-sprayed in gloss black until I purchase the CF bits from Rich (who seems to have disappeared under his current workload) - anyone know how he’s going?? The number plate recess end covers are being colour matched to the car.

At the moment I’m quite enamoured with the colour as it seems to change density depending upon the light intensity. It isn't quite was I was looking for as the vendor kind of talked me into it but I’ll see how it looks when the car is reassembled.
Anyways, I drove out to the repair shop and fitted them to double check the fit and width with the resident Aston Martin technician - everything fits. Tyres are ordered - 255s front and 305s rear.

Rims arrive well packed and presented

305/35ZR20 Rears

255/35ZR20 Fronts

Rear Fitment

Front Fitment

As I said I have some bling sitting in my cart at Redpants, with more from The V-Collection.
January will be a full exhaust system. I’ve watched a YT video from Mike at Bamford Rose about the 4.7 rear box sounding the best or something exotic from Capristo. Anyone care to throw in their opinions??
Also the best ECU tune??
I’d love to pull the pin on the GME supercharger but again, I’m hesitant based on the varying opinions flying back and forth about power outputs vs compression ratios etc. I don’t want to detonate the motor.

Stay tuned...

Last edited by Brettannica; 12-02-2020 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:37 AM
ccfulton is on a distinguished road
Infuriating incident to be sure but at least no one got hurt and seems like you are making the best of an unfortunate situation. Lemonade from lemons, as they say.

Wheels will look great on the car. Keep us posted on the progress!

Old 11-18-2020, 09:21 AM
Dalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to behold
Frustrating when lunatics are on the road. Glad everyone is OK. Good luck with the rebuild.

Old 11-18-2020, 09:49 AM
Senatorblutarsky will become famous soon enoughSenatorblutarsky will become famous soon enough
The guy is a terrible driver but he's got a great license plate.

Old 11-18-2020, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by Senatorblutarsky
The guy is a terrible driver but he's got a great license plate.
I changed his plates to protect the party involved.
Photoshop is a wonderful thing!

Old 12-02-2020, 07:46 PM
Update

Car is painted and reassembled. The rear valance and all chrome has been powder coated gloss black. Mirror caps and hood mesh are about to getting the same treatment as you read this
These will do until I start ordering all the usual exterior mods and a full interior all in forged carbon fibre from Michal at ECPS who from first impressions seems like a great chap.
Wheels will be back from the fitters soon, but I suspect I'll be repainting the brushed GM to black as well.
Next is a full AM dealer service check where I'll most likely change some hoses and belts as I'll be taking her for a tour across Australia in Jan/Feb with the missus...

Old 12-02-2020, 08:29 PM
62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !
Car looks great, and nice photography too.