Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Aston Martin and Antifreeze

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 01:12 AM
Chris P is an unknown quantity at this point
Aston Martin and Antifreeze

I recently did a 5 year servce on my 06 DB9. Part of this is to change out the coolant. No big deal except the Havoline XLC is nearly impossible to come by (As i found out later it is readily available from my local AML dealer). After checking around i decided to use the Prestone 50/50 GM Dex-Cool formula coolant. As far as i could tell this is the closest thing i could find that is compatabile with the Havoline. However i keep getting conficting opinions on this and to make things more complicated both Prestone and AML are extremely guarded about information on their products. Prestone considers their formula proprietary and Aston specifies Havoline XLC, OAT coolant only. However in doing some research i found the Havoline XLC is formulated to meet GM 6277M. Which is what the Prestone Dex-Cool is formulated for. However they are not 100% identical chemically. I could only find the MSDS for the Prestone. But Havoline does give alot of info about the XLC. (Please see attached). Long and short of this is while I'm nearly 100% positive the Prestone will not cause any problems im not 100% sure. So the safest bet was to order the factory coolant from Aston and change it again. Hopefully this saves someone else the aggravation of selecting an antifreeze on the future.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
PDSDetailPage.pdf (306.8 KB, 175 views)
File Type: pdf
1414793pdf.pdf (136.1 KB, 129 views)
Old 05-02-2018, 09:13 AM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
It's unfortunate that mixing coolant can cause chemical reactions that result in a gel formation. Makes me wish for the good ol' days of green in everything. In my opinion, it's short sighted for a manufacturer to specify a specific coolant and manufacturer if for no other reason than brands change and can become obsolete. Dex-cool is OAT, but like you, I found that the formulation is different from XLC. I'm not sure if it reacts with other OAT formulations.

On other vehicles, if I have any doubt of what's in the car, I will flush the coolant with distilled water several times until it comes out clear and then add the new coolant.

However in the case of the Aston, we've found that Motul has a coolant that is as close to XLC as can be determined through MSDS. It's what I used on my Vantage (and Lotus, which also specifies XLC).

https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/produ...-optimal-ultra

Old 05-04-2018, 03:40 AM
Chris P is an unknown quantity at this point
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GHMagJVNSs0

i made a quick video that might be helpful.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:36 PM
DonRW2007 is an unknown quantity at this point
First off, I’ve really learned a lot from this forum... have had my V8V for about 2 months and have greatly appreciated the knowledge base available here.

i’m kinda **** and, in the absence of detailed service records (have some AM, some independent that say ”service performed”), I have been changing fluids, etc., to re-baseline my car’s service interval. Just took a leap of faith and bought Motul coolant from Rich at Redpants. Analyzing coolant specs gives me a headache... I have a Land Rover Disco 2 and I can’t tell you how many posts I’ve waded through about the evils of Dex-Cool, etc. Trust that this choice was a wise one...

Old 08-03-2018, 06:12 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
I am heading for the dealer on this service this fall.

Old 10-17-2018, 01:30 PM
astondude is on a distinguished road
Can someone please tell me where exactly is the coolant drain plug for the Vantage V8? I know it is under the driver's side but I can't find it. Where exactly is the location? Thanks! I do see the write-up for coolant change on the DB9 on this Forum but the drain plug location is different.

Old 10-17-2018, 01:42 PM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Look here I am sure you will find a Manual that you can use

Aston Martin Manual

Old 10-17-2018, 03:12 PM
Thanks, Handyman. I have the owner's manual.. There is no info on coolant drain plug.

Old 10-17-2018, 03:40 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Can someone please tell me where exactly is the coolant drain plug for the Vantage V8? I know it is under the driver's side but I can't find it. Where exactly is the location?

If you still have the same 2008 it on the opposite side you think it is, at the bottom. recommend you replace the drain plug and seal as well

Old 10-17-2018, 03:56 PM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute

Old 10-17-2018, 09:43 PM
Thanks so much, J_DoubleU and Handyman! I found it under the passenger side. I just got confused and thought it was on driver's side cause I work on too many of my cars haha. Actually, I had done it 2 years ago but I only put 500 miles/year. For the record, V8V coolant change....the coolant drain plug is at the bottom on the passenger side, size of a dime. Plastic plug is parallel to the ground and you need a big flat or phillips head screw driver. Loosen plug a bit with screw driver and then crawl out from under car before you loosen completely or hot coolant will splash on your face.

Old 12-02-2020, 01:51 PM
Julioz32 is on a distinguished road
I Just picked up Havoline Extended Life Concentrate from Aston dealer F.C. Kerbeck in NJ and completed a Thermostat and coolant renew.

Old 12-02-2020, 02:12 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Julioz32
I Just picked up Havoline Extended Life Concentrate from Aston dealer F.C. Kerbeck in NJ and completed a Thermostat and coolant renew.

Just so you know, this is not the same formula as XLC. Likely no issues with that though.

Last edited by blue2000s; 12-02-2020 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:31 PM
Julioz32 is on a distinguished road
Yes I know, however I don’t foresee any issues. Car gets lot’s of TLC.

Old 12-03-2020, 05:36 AM
E30 Racer is an unknown quantity at this point
Havoline XLC is still available on Amazon for $33/gal...

Amazon Amazon

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aston Martin and Antifreeze