Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Project DB9

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2024, 03:34 PM
jimshadow is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Bob Duato
You can do the timing cover relatively easily in the car, emphasis on relatively. Certainly easier than pulling the engine. You'll have to pull the intakes and cam covers, pull off or separate the thermostat housing and drop the oil pan enough to apply some RTV. If you are planning on pulling the engine anyway you might as well just wait, but if not, you might as well do it now while the front is apart.
Thanks Bob! Big decision time coming. I have the parts to do the job, but I'm not convinced the leak is so bad that I risk pulling things apart. My good friend (who is a A&P Mechanic, turned exotic car tech, turned insurance industry) is coming over tonight to help me think through this.

Old 02-29-2024, 02:50 PM
We've determined that the leak is relatively minor. Decision has been made to clean the engine block and put things back together. that will commence Friday. More to come!

Jim

Old 03-01-2024, 08:47 AM
sliderule01 is infamous around these parts
Having an older DB9 (2007 with 43K miles), where do you source the aluminum fan blades?

Old 03-02-2024, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by sliderule01
Having an older DB9 (2007 with 43K miles), where do you source the aluminum fan blades?
The OEM Fans are plastic and become VERY VERY Brittle over time with heat/cold cycles. There is a thread here that outlines an aluminum replacement (But still plastic fans), however you'll need to figure out how to mount the control module:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ng-fans-3.html
I got mine from Scuderia Parts: https://www.scuderiacarparts.com/par...an-module.html

Jim

Old 03-02-2024, 11:31 AM
Started the process of putting things back together today after cleaning the engine.....I'm waiting on an order from Scuderia, otherwise I'm pretty sure I could've had it all back together today...

Jim

Old 03-02-2024, 03:14 PM
SLVRon is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jimshadow
Thanks Bob! Big decision time coming. I have the parts to do the job, but I'm not convinced the leak is so bad that I risk pulling things apart. My good friend (who is a A&P Mechanic, turned exotic car tech, turned insurance industry) is coming over tonight to help me think through this.
Forget the RTV approach - the approach for my 4.3 Vantage was to get the newer gasket from the 4.7. I'd assume there's a newer V12 equivalent that would work in your case.