Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

perf. upgrade for vantage amv8?

Old 04-05-2007, 08:55 PM
Blazing is on a distinguished road
SPEAKING of the Prodrive, check out EVO magazine they have a brief review on it, it got 5 out 5. http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...8_vantage.html

Also the Vantage VS Jag XKR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drZUldwaA6w (TOPGEAR)

Vantage Roadster vs BMW M6 cabrio vs Jag XKR Cabrio.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/VideosWallp...=225060&Mode=B

Old 06-23-2007, 10:43 AM
chrisfc923 is on a distinguished road
*bump* curious if theres any updates

Old 06-23-2007, 11:35 AM
Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !
Depends if you will pay to play... Im currently investigating a twin turbo kit, but cost is estimated at anywhere between $25,000-$35,000, though it might be possible to get it into the $20-$25k level

Old 06-26-2007, 08:29 PM
Bobby G is on a distinguished road
SpeedGallery is working on some performance mods. I'm checking in with them this week and I'll see if they've found any success.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:09 PM
Simba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud of
Find a race shop that knows what they're doing and have them build you a one-off system, it's the only way you're likely to see anything of significance.

To do any kind of turbo system, which is all I'd bother with given the complexity and potential for power, you'll need to have pistons made to drop the CR, and dump the factory FI computer for something tunable.

I'd say ~15k cost is what one would be looking at to roll a simple t3/t4 based Twin Turbo system. Most shops will double that figure for fab time and markup.

I'm currently building a system for a Ferrari 355, so, if anyone's serious I can probably point them in the right direction on a few things.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:09 AM
Vicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Simba
Find a race shop that knows what they're doing and have them build you a one-off system, it's the only way you're likely to see anything of significance.

To do any kind of turbo system, which is all I'd bother with given the complexity and potential for power, you'll need to have pistons made to drop the CR, and dump the factory FI computer for something tunable.

I'd say ~15k cost is what one would be looking at to roll a simple t3/t4 based Twin Turbo system. Most shops will double that figure for fab time and markup.

I'm currently building a system for a Ferrari 355, so, if anyone's serious I can probably point them in the right direction on a few things.
The factory computer may be tunable.... if you know the right people.

And yeah there is no way thats getting done for $15k including motor work and such. I would think $25k is a more reasonable price including the tuning, fuel system upgrades and such.

And yeah, twin turbo is the only way I would go.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:40 AM
Simba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Vicious
The factory computer may be tunable.... if you know the right people.
Which would you rather do-- spend months dicking around in the hopes you find someone at the factory willing to risk their job to supply you with board and ROM info, or just buy a MoTeC and be on your way?

And yeah there is no way thats getting done for $15k including motor work and such. I would think $25k is a more reasonable price including the tuning, fuel system upgrades and such.
15k is likely what cost would be. That's not far off of what I've built other systems for, including low comp pistons and engine work. Virtually all "exotic" tuning shops gouge to pretty silly degrees. If you luck out and find someone who knows what they're doing and just enjoys working on the cars, rather than making a business of it, you can get lucky.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:35 AM
Vicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond reputeVicious has a reputation beyond repute
Which would you rather do-- spend months dicking around in the hopes you find someone at the factory willing to risk their job to supply you with board and ROM info, or just buy a MoTeC and be on your way?
The problem with just going to Motec is you throw all the OBD-III emissions stuff right out the window. I agree it's easier, but making something that the person can actually legally drive (to a reasonably extent), smog, etc. is important. Plus Motec adds another $10k to the price, and you spend god knows how long building the harness to wire it into all the factory gauges and such. As well you may not even be able to completely ditch the factory pcm. Chances are the tranny ecu is incorporated into it, and there is no way you're going to build a standalone for that one.

Few other expensive tasks:
Having custom rods built at the same time (they are likely not up to the hp task either).
Possibly needing to resleve the block? I haven't had one apart yet but if it's like most other aluminum blocks the stock sleves are pretty weak. Set of 8 darton sleves help immensely.
Getting cometic to custom make a decent set of head gaskets.
Custom spec ARP head and main cap studs.
Possibly (aka probably) billet main caps machined.
Custom radiator and fan assembly
Remaping of the tranny ecu. to increase line pressure, shift points, etc.
What about half shafts and diff upgrades?

15k is likely what cost would be. That's not far off of what I've built other systems for, including low comp pistons and engine work. Virtually all "exotic" tuning shops gouge to pretty silly degrees. If you luck out and find someone who knows what they're doing and just enjoys working on the cars, rather than making a business of it, you can get lucky.
It's a brand new AM, do you really want to leave it in someones garage to have all this stuff fabbed up? An established shop will be more expensive, but you also have something to fall back on. Parts cost isn't terribly expensive at all, it's labor hours to fab it up, and paying for the experience to build something that works decently. Any idiot can weld some tubes together to build a turbo system, but there is a huge difference between that and one designed by an experienced builder. How many backyard fab guys do you know who have the ability to do an FEA flow on a turbo manifold to build the most efficent design possible? I know of a couple, and wouldn't you know they are the guys making absolutely insane hp from fairly simplistic designs.

Guys who buy cars like AMs have a fairly high expectation of what they will look and sound like. It takes someone with a lot of experience to build a TT system and have it installed on the car looking like a kick *** factory upgrade rather than some backyard mustang job. As well the car should drive and operate just as it would stock. They don't want to deal with starting issues, overheating from a lack of airflow through the radiator due to a **** poor intercooler design, or constantly breaking other parts because the designer wasn't thinking about the entire package. There is a reason guys pay $40k to upgrade cars, and to some extent it isn't gouging. It's paying the market price for custom work and paying for the knowledge more than some welded up pipes.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:45 AM
chrisfc923 is on a distinguished road
ok so question in hand is would the supercharger off the 4.2 jag engine work as just a simple bolt-on... 100x cheaper alternative if it would

Old 06-28-2007, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by chrisfc923
ok so question in hand is would the supercharger off the 4.2 jag engine work as just a simple bolt-on... 100x cheaper alternative if it would
My first thought was to use the Jag ecu map. No idea if it has the hood clearance for the SC.. but I just flat wouldn't waste my time to find out. That eaton SC is a joke.

If you're going to go through all the effort I'd shoot for more than an additional 80hp. Get that thing to lay at least mid 500's to the wheels or don't bother.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:05 AM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
Not sur if anyone still interested but call Tom Heinz @ AM of Tampa (813) 371-8130. He has a customer going through a mod session w/ his AM8 - it was either a tubo or supercharger - sorry do not remember, but the mods are real and it sounds like this project happening as I write

Old 06-28-2007, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by Vicious
The problem with just going to Motec is you throw all the OBD-III emissions stuff right out the window.
It's ODBII, and most people would consider that a benefit. It's really not that difficult to rig an ODBII port that says "everything's fine, have a nice day".

Technically illegal? Sure, but if you're talking about extensively modifying a new vehicle in California, or some other eco-tard run state, you're off your rocker anyway.

Plus Motec adds another $10k to the price
Dunno where you're buying your motec gear, but the top of the line ECU with all the options costs less than half that.

and you spend god knows how long building the harness to wire it into all the factory gauges and such.
My guess would be ~20 hours for someone who knows what they're doing, not counting pulling the old harness and installing the new one.

Chances are the tranny ecu is incorporated into it, and there is no way you're going to build a standalone for that one.
Fortunately, Aston already has a solution to this. It's called a manual transmission. Paddles are for girls.

Having custom rods built at the same time (they are likely not up to the hp task either).
Depends on the ultimate power goals. There's a difference between adding a hundred horse and change with a simple turbo kit and trying to make 700 at the wheels.

Getting cometic to custom make a decent set of head gaskets.
I've run 25+ pounds of boost on just about everyone's stock composite gaskets. Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Dodge, etc, etc. If you tune it properly, it's not an issue. Detonation is what pops gaskets.

Custom spec ARP head and main cap studs.
Possibly (aka probably) billet main caps machined.
Again, what are you suggesting? I'm talking about adding ~150 horse, not building a drag car.

Custom radiator and fan assembly
One call to Ron Davis.

It's a brand new AM, do you really want to leave it in someones garage to have all this stuff fabbed up?
Now that depends on the owner, his goals, and the shop. Personally, would I rather leave my car sitting in a shop for a while to have something unique that isn't the usual slapped together supercharger kit with 50+ at the wheels? Sure. Assuming I didn't just do it myself, anyway.

An established shop will be more expensive, but you also have something to fall back on.
In my experience, even "established" shops screw the pooch regularly. I doubt I need to bring up Hennessy or others. Finding an enthusiast who knows what he's doing and cares about making the car work properly is almost always better than buying hype and marketing.

There is a reason guys pay $40k to upgrade cars, and to some extent it isn't gouging. It's paying the market price for custom work and paying for the knowledge more than some welded up pipes.
Yes, there is a reason: They don't have the skill or knowledge required to do it themselves, or to tell the difference between someone who knows what they're doing and someone who doesn't, in most cases. Fortunately, for most people in that demographic, burning money and cars isn't that big a deal.

There's a difference between charging someone market rate for an engineer and fabricator for a hundred hours, and slapping together a supercharger "kit" at thrice the price.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:37 PM
mishref will become famous soon enough
Keep the aston stock .. get a 997-TT for modding, it will save you tons of frustration in the long run.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:56 PM
It's ODBII, and most people would consider that a benefit. It's really not that difficult to rig an ODBII port that says "everything's fine, have a nice day".

Technically illegal? Sure, but if you're talking about extensively modifying a new vehicle in California, or some other eco-tard run state, you're off your rocker anyway.
Yeah, I was assuming they wanted it CA legal.

Dunno where you're buying your motec gear, but the top of the line ECU with all the options costs less than half that.
I'll have to check into it, but my last recollence was that an M800, unterminated harness, sensors, plus activating various options had the price at nearly $10grr. If you can get it cheaper by all means show me where.

Fortunately, Aston already has a solution to this. It's called a manual transmission. Paddles are for girls.
I agree, but there are lots of girls out there buying the flapper.

Depends on the ultimate power goals. There's a difference between adding a hundred horse and change with a simple turbo kit and trying to make 700 at the wheels.
Maybe thats where I'm going about this all wrong... see I wouldn't even bother for 100hp, thats just a waste of time. If i'm putting forth the effort to make it fast, it's gonna be FAST! 700 to the wheels on pump gas does have a nice ring to it.

I've run 25+ pounds of boost on just about everyone's stock composite gaskets. Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Dodge, etc, etc. If you tune it properly, it's not an issue. Detonation is what pops gaskets.
Coming from the viper world stock gaskets just don't live past 12psi very well. They can, but you're asking for trouble. Then again you're also making 900rw at that point. At any rate I would rather have a stronger gasket and build a motor to live through a wee bit of detonation. It's far easier to do that then rebuild the top end should you get a bad batch of gas.

There's a difference between charging someone market rate for an engineer and fabricator for a hundred hours, and slapping together a supercharger "kit" at thrice the price.
I agree with you there, plenty of shady shops that shaft people every chance they get. But if you know where to go you can get experienced designers/engineers without getting shafted, and they have the track record of reliable cars to back it up. Heck most race teams farm fab stuff out to small guys who do amazing work, but they are a little more than someone working out of their garage.

I think we're on the same page here just approaching it from different angles. It is fun being the underdog 'small guy' and laying down numbers none of the 'big shops' have touched. Like a Viper putting 1496 to the wheels @ 25psi

Now post pics of that 355

Old 06-28-2007, 06:57 PM
rmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of light
Most owners love the way the AMV8 sounds. I would rather supercharge it than turbocharge it.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: perf. upgrade for vantage amv8?