Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Audi RS 8 Gets Turbo V10 with 572 bhp

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 03:39 PM
eurospek is infamous around these parts
Audi RS 8 Gets Turbo V10 with 572 bhp

Audi is not playing “nice” with its two main German rivals anymore. In fact, Ingolstadt is preparing an arsenal so powerful that some may even start accusing Germany of another world war. Of course this is in the motor arena where “wars” are fought in friendly territories like engines and powertrains, race tracks and cup holders. And so it will be when the new R8 V10 – Audi says it can’t be called RS8 because that might confuse it with a high-performance A8 which may or may not happen – debuts with its 5.2-litre V10. Of course we’ve known all along this was the type of equipment to be fitted, but what we initially didn’t realize was that Audi would take the bull by its sharpest thorns and go turbo on us with this! Yep folks, R8 V10 will debut next year with the same firepower handed to the RS 6. In essence we are talking about 572 wild German horses confined only by ten cylinders, translating to a sub 4.0 second time on the 0 – 100km/h flight, with a cruise limiter of 200 mph.

Audi has been denying all of this turbo talk, even when questioned about the test mule that infamously caught fire at Nordscheife last year, saying the engine could easily provide the required horses, but cooling it would be the main bone of contention. Now ladies and gentlemen, that bone has been chewed and spat and V10 twin-turbo is a go. Speaking to Autocar head of Audi powertrain development Wolfgang Hatz said: “The car is now signed off, and will appear during the second quarter of 2009. I can’t say much about it until then. The cooling is no problem now.”

VW Group’s greatest cooling problem on a road car so far has been Bugatti Veyron, but they managed ok there and learnt some cooling lessons along the way. The cooling system has also helped in V12 TDI prototype, a system that provides up to 20 percent more cold air into the radiators and a roof air vent that works with the turbos.

“Why would we spend money developing a whole new engine for this car, when we already have such a good one?”

A wonderful question.

In a separate development it seems the upcoming 2.5-litre 340 bhp TT RS will not be labeled as such. According to our source, only Porsche can use the moniker RS as suffix (one that comes after another word) in the VW Group. Audi can use it, but only as prefix, meaning in front of something else, like RS 6 or RS 4 etc. Wow, family feuds!

Source: Autocar
http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080401....0-with-572-bhp

Old 04-01-2008, 03:52 PM
KareemA4 is infamous around these parts
Cool!!

Old 04-01-2008, 04:36 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
ya...Im going to like the R8 V gt2 comparos...that should be cool...

Old 04-01-2008, 05:49 PM
stuckeyman87 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by sechsgang
ya...Im going to like the R8 V gt2 comparos...that should be cool...
that would be a good comparison...performance for both is crazy,but my opinion is that the R8 will look better...they are both great cars though.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:50 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by stuckeyman87
that would be a good comparison...performance for both is crazy,but my opinion is that the R8 will look better...they are both great cars though.

thats what Im thinking too...and Im a BIG porsche fan...but I think the Audi, if done right (seems pretty damn good so far) may have what it takes...

Old 04-01-2008, 05:52 PM
alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !
This is great news! I'm glad they decided to go with a gasoline engine instead (or at least in addition to) the R8 V12 TDI they had proposed.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:53 PM
thats what Im thinking too...and Im a BIG porsche fan...but I think the Audi, if done right (seems pretty damn good so far) may have what it takes...
well my thinking is that the R8 looks like a fast car. it looks like its made to go 200 mph. The GT3....to me , at least, looks like a ferocious track monster capable of delivering crazy times at the circuit or racecourse. 200 mph though? its looks tend to doubt that....just my opinion.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:56 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
so it'll have more hp than G. wonder what that'll do to the G desirability. Hope the V10 version will look much more aggressive and futuristic than the v8 version.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:32 AM
Originally Posted by stuckeyman87
well my thinking is that the R8 looks like a fast car. it looks like its made to go 200 mph. The GT3....to me , at least, looks like a ferocious track monster capable of delivering crazy times at the circuit or racecourse. 200 mph though? its looks tend to doubt that....just my opinion.
Im talking about the 2...haha

Old 04-02-2008, 06:37 AM
Im talking about the 2...haha
haha yeah i meant to type GT2, i was watching that video of the GT3 vs R8

Old 04-02-2008, 06:41 AM
ya, honestly, I think Audi MAY actually have this...but Ill wait to see what ACTUALLY comes out before the real benchracing starts...but I know I mentioned earlier if the new GT2 left any room, someone else was going to take it...and at 580...with a mid engine set up and an oversteer happy 4wd...Audi may actually put up a REAL fight!!!

Old 04-02-2008, 07:47 AM
Zeus has a spectacular aura aboutZeus has a spectacular aura about
ya, honestly, I think Audi MAY actually have this...but Ill wait to see what ACTUALLY comes out before the real benchracing starts...but I know I mentioned earlier if the new GT2 left any room, someone else was going to take it...and at 580...with a mid engine set up and an oversteer happy 4wd...Audi may actually put up a REAL fight!!!
Agreed. Makes one hope that Porsche is taking notes for the next generation(998?)GT2.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:32 AM
pjb84 is infamous around these partspjb84 is infamous around these partspjb84 is infamous around these parts
Nice!! I feel bad for the guys who already ordered the V8 R8 and are still waiting.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:04 AM
^^^Dude, shut up! (says the now number two on the list for v8 at dealer)

I dont feel bat at all though...because that model will be amazingly expensive!

The r8 (when waiting in line like a normal person) at msrp is "only" around 115k or so...that will be 190 easy...

Old 04-02-2008, 09:17 AM
pjb84 is infamous around these partspjb84 is infamous around these partspjb84 is infamous around these parts
^^^Dude, shut up! (says the now number two on the list for v8 at dealer)

I dont feel bat at all though...because that model will be amazingly expensive!

The r8 (when waiting in line like a normal person) at msrp is "only" around 115k or so...that will be 190 easy...
I know I was just seeing how many ppl would get pissed off at me for saying that.
The V8 R8 is an amazing car and I would be very happy to be one of fortunate people to be waiting for one.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Audi RS 8 Gets Turbo V10 with 572 bhp