Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Looking at getting an 04-05 S4.... anything i should know??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 11:53 AM
trlengle is on a distinguished road
I'm looking at buying a 2005 (B6) S4 with 18k miles. It is from a private seller and I'm looking at extended warranties. Has anyone ever worked with Paragon Motors for an extended warranty? They are charging around $2200 for a 5 year 75K extended warranty with a $100 deductible.

I'm waiting on the proposal but I believe it is administered by Universal Warranty out of Omaha, Nebraska.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:54 AM
trackaddict is on a distinguished road
Get ready for horrendous gas mileage...less than 10 mpg on average

Old 04-02-2009, 12:18 AM
imolafem is a jewel in the roughimolafem is a jewel in the roughimolafem is a jewel in the roughimolafem is a jewel in the rough
You know not every red light means its a drag race to the next one I got 8 mpg with the S on the track. I get 23-25 when commuting!

Old 04-06-2009, 10:30 PM
RS4 Tom will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by trlengle
I'm looking at buying a 2005 (B6) S4 with 18k miles. It is from a private seller and I'm looking at extended warranties. Has anyone ever worked with Paragon Motors for an extended warranty? They are charging around $2200 for a 5 year 75K extended warranty with a $100 deductible.

I'm waiting on the proposal but I believe it is administered by Universal Warranty out of Omaha, Nebraska.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Every administrator interprets contracts differently. Pay attention to the what is not covered(or what is excluded) section, and make sure you get the top of the line coverage, which is when it only lists items that aren't covered.

Some lower end companies exclude GPS/nav, adjustable suspension, etc. All will exclude maintenance items, hoses, aftermarket parts, etc.

If you could post a .pdf of the contract(obviously blocking your personal info), I could give you a better opinion. I worked in that field for several years, so I have firsthand experience with what happens on both ends.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:10 PM
craig3887 has much to be proud ofcraig3887 has much to be proud ofcraig3887 has much to be proud ofcraig3887 has much to be proud ofcraig3887 has much to be proud ofcraig3887 has much to be proud ofcraig3887 has much to be proud ofcraig3887 has much to be proud of
My brother has an 04 S4 and the gas mileage is terrible, but the v8 s4's are pretty sweet. He basically put straight pipes in it and it sounds ridiculously cool. I would definately get a warranty if possible. On a side note his car goes through a oil regularly. He's been battling the dealership and audi na for a long time now. They fill the car up with oil at the dealership and he brings it back every 500 miles for them to check it. After 500 miles the low oil light comes on and has to be filled again. Audi replaced the whole top end but that did nothing. So who knows, maybe he just got unlucky in that respect but the car definately screams, you'll love it.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:07 PM
StorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by trackaddict
LOL. What, on the dyno? It isn't anywhere near that bad.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:44 PM
DorianGrayFFM is a jewel in the roughDorianGrayFFM is a jewel in the roughDorianGrayFFM is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by StorminS4
LOL. What, on the dyno? It isn't anywhere near that bad.
No kidding. Nobody in Germany could afford driving one if that were true!

Old 04-07-2009, 08:27 PM
PbPedis is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by trackaddict
You must go WOT at every chance and hit every red light in the city. I get 14-15 mpg and I don't baby it. I do try to keep it in a high gear once I'm up to speed though, either 4th or 5th and sometimes even 6th gear in the city.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:55 PM
I have attached the Universal policy as the Zurich was too big. Thanks for reviewing and giving me your feedback. Also, if you know of other extended warranty options I'm all ears.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Universal-MotorsInsurance.pdf (103.2 KB, 72 views)
Old 04-07-2009, 08:57 PM
Here is a copy paste of the Zurcih exclusions:
Exclusions
All parts are covered with these exceptions:
glass, lenses, sealed beams, light bulbs,
wheels, wheel covers, tires, interior trim,
moldings, bright metal parts, sheet metal, flexible body
parts, weather strips, upholstery, convertible and/or
vinyl top, paint, rust, physical damage, catalytic
converter, exhaust system, brake rotors and drums,
wiper blades, hoses, shock absorbers, batteries,
carburetor, and throttle body assembly (except the
injectors). Spark/glow plugs, drive belts, brake pads,
brake linings and shoes, and manual clutch disc. In
addition, repairs of water and air leaks, rattles, squeaks
and wind noise; alignment of body parts, bumpers and
glass are not covered. Any parts or components that
are not factory installed are not covered.
In addition, the normal maintenance services and parts
required or recommended by your vehicle manufacturer
and other normal maintenance services and parts,
including engine tune up, suspension alignment, wheel
balancing and filters.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:51 AM
Banned
11Past9 is infamous around these parts11Past9 is infamous around these parts11Past9 is infamous around these parts
From what I have gathered over the past year of research:

-13 mpg or so if you drive it like you should

-Transmission issues (syncros) are present and expensive, automatics have less known problems at stock ish power but are weaker when heavy modifications are applied

-CPO is the way to go but is only good for 6 years/100k from original date of delivery

-They are not that fast, 13.7+ for a stock quarter mile time at best

-Repairs are pricey, a cam position sensor went out on a friends and he had a $3,000 repair bill (the part was only $72.00)

-People either have tons of problems, or a small amount of them. I've heard people with hate stories and people that say they haven't had many issues but the hate stories double what I have heard from the nice ones. I ruled this car OUT my self because of all that I've observed, the cons out weigh the pros... you can get more of a car for less and with less problems.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by trlengle
I have attached the Universal policy as the Zurich was too big. Thanks for reviewing and giving me your feedback. Also, if you know of other extended warranty options I'm all ears.

Seems to be mostly industry standard. Make sure you get the exclusionary coverage, which is the Premium policy. Also get all options except the commercial use.

The big things that bother me, are some of the items in the excluded section. Struts? Throttle body? This type of exclusion is more and more common, no doubt due to high loss ratios with struts on Land Rover and Mercedes vehicles. Throttle bodies due to the new standard of having the throttle position sensor built into the throttle body, which I believe Jaguar has done more than anyone(and had the worst luck with).

Luckily, struts and throttle bodies aren't that expensive on an S4. $250ish for struts, $550ish for the throttle body.

I'd be ok with that policy unless I had a high end Mercedes S class or SL, Range Rover, or a Jag XK, etc.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:42 PM
StorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 11Past9
From what I have gathered over the past year of research:

-13 mpg or so if you drive it like you should
Wow... I hope you don't live near any cops.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:28 AM
Thanks for your feedback Tom. Did you take a look at the Universal policy which I attached or only the Zurich? Or do they look the same to you? Both of the policies are around $2300 for a 5 year/75k warranty. The policies the Audi dealerships sell are about $1k more.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:19 PM
I actually only read the Universal one that was a .pdf.

The zurich one is similar except they do not exclude struts.

Honestly if you were comparing the two, and both had exclusionary policies, compare prices and rental/towing benefits. Rental will end up being a bigger deal than struts.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking at getting an 04-05 S4.... anything i should know??