Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Audi RS5 - first photos

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 09:08 AM
JonM is a splendid one to beholdJonM is a splendid one to beholdJonM is a splendid one to beholdJonM is a splendid one to beholdJonM is a splendid one to beholdJonM is a splendid one to behold
what a freaking disappointment..i was wrong lol...oh well....seems like Audi is still behind on the hp race. Let's see how this stacks up to a tuned S4.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:08 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
sepculation is fun, but according to AMS and autobild in germany it´s got an updated version of the V8 4.2 with about 450 BHP.
they announced it today.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:39 AM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
Wow! Those images make me think twice about switching to a Porsche...
Absolutely beautiful.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:46 AM
ApeelinZ is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mobonic
Wow! Those images make me think twice about switching to a Porsche...
Absolutely beautiful.
Unless your switching to a Porsche Turbo or Turbo S...

Can u say 0-60 in 2.9 seconds!!! (Car and Driver April 2010)

Old 02-22-2010, 11:51 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
The 911 is THE sportscar icon, but this looks super sexy and will most likely sound better than a carrera and it offers 2 proper seats in the back.

more pictures (in misano red) and official details:

* Coupé with 331 kW (450 PS) high-revving V8 engine
* RS 5 also efficient - 10.8 liters per 100 km (21.78 US mpg)
* Newly-developed center differential for quattro drivetrain

Power comes from a 4.2-liter V8 that produces 331 kW (444 hp / 450 PS) and 430 Nm (317 lb-ft) of torque. It is connected to a seven-speed S tronic transmission which allows the 1,725 kilogram (3,803 pound) coupe to accelerate from 0-100 km/h in 4.6 seconds, before topping out at an electronically limited 250 km/h (155 mph). If that isn't fast enough, Audi can remove the speed limiter to enable the car to hit 280 km/h (174 mph). Despite this immense performance, the RS5 only consumes 10.8 liters of petrol per 100 km (21.78 US mpg).
Compared to the 354 hp 4.2-liter V8 in the S5 (which will soon be replaced by a supercharged 3.0-liter V6), the RS5 engine features friction reduction technology, "intensive fine-tuning of the dual-branch intake", and a new exhaust system.

The ultra-powerful eight-cylinder engine averages 10.8 liters of fuel per 100 kilometers (21.78 miles US mpg) - far less than its main competitors. This impressive figure is due in part to the technologies from the Audi modular efficiency platform. The engine and the entire drivetrain have been optimized to minimize friction, the oil pump operates on demand, and an energy-recovery system conserves energy during coasting and braking.
The standard seven-speed S tronic in the RS 5 – with its high efficiency ratio and its high-geared top speed – also enhances efficiency. It consists of two clutches and two subsidiary transmissions. Both subsidiary transmissions are continuously active, but only one is powered at any given time by the engine. Gears are alternately shifted by the two clutches – at lightning speed, smoothly, and almost imperceptibly.

To enhance the car's handling, Audi installed a new crown-gear center differential. The self-locking crown-gear "can widely vary the distribution of torque between the front and rear axles. If necessary, up to 70 percent can flow to the front or as much as 85 percent toward the tail end." When extra traction isn't required, the unit has a 40:60 rear-biased configuration. According to Audi, "This new differential operates in conjunction with electronic torque vectoring, which affects all four wheels. If one of the inside wheels becomes imbalanced while the vehicle is at its operational limits, then the system slightly decelerates the wheel to obviate wheel spin. This results in terrific traction on the one hand while generating a yaw moment which aids cornering."
Other performance tweaks include a revised braking system (ceramic carbon-fiber brakes are optional), a modified electronic stabilization program (which can be turned off completely), and a recalibrated speed-dependent servotronic steering system (dynamic steering is optional).

In terms of styling, the RS5 features an aggressive body kit, a reduced ride height (20mm/0.79" lower the Audi A5), and 19-inch five-spoke alloy wheels (20-inchers are optional). Other highlights include twin oval exhaust pipes (which are integrated in the rear bumper), a large diffuser, and a rear spoiler which automatically extends at 120 km/h (75 mph) and retracts at 80 km/h (50 mph).
Inside, the RS5 has leather/Alcantara sports seats, a sport steering wheel, carbon fiber inlays, piano black accents, and aluminium trim.

The RS5 will go on sale in Germany this spring, with a base price of approximately 77,700 euros.

Last edited by catchmyshadow; 02-22-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:12 PM
JonM is a splendid one to beholdJonM is a splendid one to beholdJonM is a splendid one to beholdJonM is a splendid one to beholdJonM is a splendid one to beholdJonM is a splendid one to behold
4.6 0-60 huh? While I know thats understated, the final outcome won't be much different. Can't expect a much improved quarter mile time from the RS4 either. What a MAJOR let down.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:22 PM
i think the major difference to the RS4 is the chassis and the new quattro concept with the new sport differential and torque vectoring, known from the 997.2 Turbo or GT-R.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:32 PM
th3Stig is a glorious beacon of lightth3Stig is a glorious beacon of lightth3Stig is a glorious beacon of lightth3Stig is a glorious beacon of lightth3Stig is a glorious beacon of light
My B7 RS4 was one of my top five favorite cars of all time. With Milltek catback and one of the nicest interiors of the time, I got compliments on that car every single day. And I loved it.

So I was waiting for this RS5, now that it's basically just a 2 door DCT RS4 I'd rather have my old car back.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:52 PM
Looks like there might be the possibility that it might not come to the US.

The last paragraph...
Look for the RS5 to go on sale in Germany this spring, with a base price of approximately 77,700 euros. No information regarding UK has been released. The RS5 will most likely not be available in the US.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/110022224694/official-audi-rs5-details-released--42-liter-v8-with

or

The RS5 will get its public debut in Geneva next week and goes on sale in Europe this spring for a base price of €77,000 (about $104,000). Sadly, U.S. Audi spokesman Christian Bokich tells Autoblog that there is nothing to announce right now about plans for the RS5 in this market.
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/22/o...450-hp-4-2l-v/

Old 02-22-2010, 04:52 PM
@th3Stig, if u compare both on a drag u may be rite but the RS5 is a totally different animal when it comes to its driving physics and handling.
the engine placement, Torque-Vectoring together with the new sport differe
ntial** lead to insane traction on one hand while generating a yaw moment which aids cornering. the car should be a bomb on a track and should provide much more driving fun (than its predecessor, the RS4), while being far more efficient.
the car is much more than just a more powerful 2-door version of the RS4 predecessor imho.

** the differential can widely vary the distribution of torque between the front and rear axles. If necessary, up to 70 percent can flow to the front or as much as 85 percent toward the tail end. The 40:60 ratio of the standard rear-biased configuration ensures sporty handling.

P.S. there is no official statement from Audi so far whether the RS5 will hit US shores or not.

Last edited by catchmyshadow; 02-22-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:55 PM
If the RS5 does not come to the states just like the TT-RS or the RS6, I will be keeping my RS4. Then it would be even more rare as it would be the last RS car to come to the states...

Old 02-22-2010, 05:51 PM
th3Stig is a glorious beacon of lightth3Stig is a glorious beacon of lightth3Stig is a glorious beacon of lightth3Stig is a glorious beacon of lightth3Stig is a glorious beacon of light
^ Keep your RS4 anyways, it's manual. Even if the RS5 is a more "compelling" drive, I still prefer the RS4 with it's close performance and manual transmission.

And on a side note, I just noticed it's curb weight of 3804 lbs. That puts it right around my GT-R and about 100 lbs more than an E92 M3 coupe and the B7 RS4...

Last edited by th3Stig; 02-22-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:11 PM
adeeois is on a distinguished road
Great pic's of the new RS5. Awesome styling! Audi's overall fleet styling is fresh and clean and at the top of the competitive sport coupe/sedan segment (IMO). However, putting a high revving NA V8 that's rated @ 444 HP and a wimpy 317 lb-ft of torque is a cop out. Torque is the one thing you can't have enough of. It's the difference between good and awesome performance. Sure, you can launch the V8 and log some respectable times, but daily driving a high revving low torque engine means your in the gear box a ton. A car as awesome as we are seeing in these pic's should have 400 lb-ft @ somewhere around 3200, and that likely means forced induction. Sure fuel mileage is a major factor in engine development these day's but if we are going to bring a super coupe to market let's get the power right.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:23 PM
aznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really nice
as of EX-S5 owner, that front grill gotta go.... i wonder how it would look without the license plate........ also wish it was FI... not NA....

Old 03-03-2010, 04:05 PM

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: Audi RS5 - first photos