Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

B7 GT Turbo Kit build at A.W.E. Tuning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 12:35 PM
Former Vendor
Chris/AWE is a jewel in the roughChris/AWE is a jewel in the roughChris/AWE is a jewel in the rough
B7 GT Turbo Kit build at A.W.E. Tuning

Hello there,

Hot on the heels of our last GT28-71R Turbo Kit Install we have another avant owner who brought his car in for the ultimate power upgrade for the B7 platform.

When the car arrived it was equipped with:

Power adders:
A.W.E. Tuning FMIC
A.W.E. Tuning Exhaust System
G.I.A.C. Software
Aftermarket High Flow Cat
Custom Intake

Suspension:
H&R Coilovers
Aftermarket swaybars and snub mount

Interior/Exterior:
A.W.E. Tuning Vent Mounted Boost Gauge
Aftermarket short shifter
Votex Side Skirts
RS4 grille
Clear corners
Some other additional items

All in all a great setup for a street car, but when has great ever been enough? It was time to get started.

We wanted to supply proper before and after dyno charts so the car was promptly strapped down.

Once we had a proper baseline our technician jumped right into the engine bay and got started.

Before long the new manifold, turbo and cat section are in place. Designed of special exotic alloys, our exhaust manifold and turbocharger are truly works of art. Click here to read more about what makes them so special: http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/info...cfm?content=74

Next comes removing the intake manifold to install the fueling portion of the kit.

Once the manifold is removed, the stock injectors are removed, all gaskets are replaced and our proprietary injectors are installed in the engine block.

After the car has been reassembled its time for our proprietary G.I.A.C. Software to be loaded onto the car’s DME.

Now it’s back to the dyno for the Moment of Truth….

Here are Dan’s before and after graphs. Peak gains were 67 horsepower and 19lb ft of torque at the wheels.

Complete, tested and ready to go home.

I’ve asked Dan to gather his impressions of the kit and jump in here with his thoughts when he gets a chance.

If you’re interested in reading more about our B7 GT Turbo Kit, please visit our website section: http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shar...&IL=b7gt28-71r

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. I’d love to tell you more about our kit.

Cheers!

Old 05-27-2010, 09:18 AM
EuroA4 is on a distinguished road
A few things to add...the boost comes on around full by 3700rpm and continues to build to redline. There is not really that on/off feeling that you may be expecting...GIAC has done a great job of smoothing the boost to come on almost like a supercharger does. You do feel it, but it is not that slam you in your seat feel...it just pulls hard and keeps pulling until you are easily doing triple digit speeds. Make sure those brakes are fresh, and your lugs are tight :P

Keep in mind that you will always be giving up something when you trade to something bigger like the GT2871r. At first view of the dyno graphs it looks like you are giving up major torque/power down low...then you drive it and realize you've just shifted the curve to a higher rpm range. It took a few days to get used to the way this kit makes the car drive...feeling out the sweet spots, and learning the proper shift points. The K03 would fall on its face at anything over 4600rpm....so although you might have that quick dose of torque down low....you lose alot up high. But after two weeks of driving this daily I can say its in no way lacking power anywhere. You are always a downshift away from the boost at pretty much any time. One of the things I like is that when I am just cruising on the highway the car is in vacuum...which saves gas! I've been averaging 25-26 miles/gallon on my commutes. It could probably be even better...but I just can't stop dropping gears and ripping whenever I get the chance

The car hits 20-21 psi and holds there. There is room for growth with this kit too...internals and maybe meth...and we can crank up the boost for even more!

Thanks to Todd, Emmett, Mike, Ralph, John, Alex and all the staff at AWE for taking good care of me and my baby!!

Old 05-28-2010, 10:48 AM
colt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of light
what an awesome turbo kit and Avant!

Old 05-28-2010, 02:10 PM
mjnsx07 is on a distinguished road
good job guys and nice car you have there but I don't like losing that much torque at the low rpm for a street car.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:33 PM
EuroA4 is on a distinguished road
Yeah I thought that first when looking at the graph...then you start to drive it
and realize you have that torque, just in a higher rpm range. The stock k03 runs out of juice at around 4500-4700...the Gt2871r just keeps going and going. It's weird how interpruting the graphs and real life driving situations are so different.

But I wouldn't mind having a VVT like the 997tt one day

Old 06-14-2010, 12:16 PM
dsswain is on a distinguished road
I miss my B5 S4 Avant, though if I come around back to Audi a Big Turbo B7 wouldn't be 1/2 bad either