Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

C2S to R8???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 12:20 PM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
It was a lease so I just gave it back.

I feel like I got a good deal on the CPO. Which is why I pulled the trigger on it rather fast. Wasn't really headed in that direction but after they started it up in the showroom and I took a test drive and found out I could have it with a 100,000 mile warranty it was pretty much a no brainer.

Definitely feels like a step up from the Porsche, which is hard to do without getting something ridiculous which isn't also a nightmare to maintain.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:05 PM
997C2SM is just really nice997C2SM is just really nice997C2SM is just really nice997C2SM is just really nice997C2SM is just really nice
Leasing not a bad move with the hammering the 997's in general take. Also the fact that the new 991 is right around the corner a 997 tt could be a bad move unless you get a screaming deal or hold for a long time. I am always in favor of the deep discounts on cars except for when it comes time for me to trade mine in...

Old 03-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Scott1961 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 997C2SM
Thanks for the input. It's funny how the R8 does so well on track testing with reviewers praising it's mid engine layout. However I have heard many owners discuss the civilized drive in the car with some saying it's actually boring. I am thinking the V10 may be better way to go. I hate to go with V8 and feel my C2S was quicker.
I solved the problem by supercharging my V8, Car now has a "danger" factor when not careful. Really is the best of both worlds, very fast but also comfortable. Just can't get into Porsche's since they all basically look the same where an R8 will always stand out

Old 03-07-2011, 03:56 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
The only issue I have with R8 is the looks. While not bad looking in any means, it's still not an exotic look like a Ferrari and Lamborghini. It distinctively looks like an Audi. I think it's good for Audi to do that to keep its heritage and brand image. If you like the looks, either V10 or V8 will make a great car. But the same can be said about 997 also. That's why I bought a Gallardo instead. Something different. Life is short so try something new!

Old 03-07-2011, 04:01 PM
997C2SM is just really nice997C2SM is just really nice997C2SM is just really nice997C2SM is just really nice997C2SM is just really nice
Originally Posted by Scott1961
I solved the problem by supercharging my V8, Car now has a "danger" factor when not careful. Really is the best of both worlds, very fast but also comfortable. Just can't get into Porsche's since they all basically look the same where an R8 will always stand out
I am not looking to void warranty so I tend to stay away from any engine mods with the exception of exhaust and Wheels. I just may find that the looks of the R8 and savings with the V8 are enough to carry the day for me. However if the money I will lose on a V8 in a couple years upgrading to a V10 is the same amount as just going with the 5.2 now, I might as well buck up now and get 10.
Pay for it now or pay potentially more later.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by 997C2SM
I am not looking to void warranty so I tend to stay away from any engine mods with the exception of exhaust and Wheels. I just may find that the looks of the R8 and savings with the V8 are enough to carry the day for me. However if the money I will lose on a V8 in a couple years upgrading to a V10 is the same amount as just going with the 5.2 now, I might as well buck up now and get 10.
Pay for it now or pay potentially more later.
My R8 is less than two years old but wanted the power of V10, Had done some mods to car including Stasis exhaust, PPI steering wheel and Hofele front/rear spoiler. To trade up to V10 and put same mods on would have cost me at least $80k. For a little over $30k I decided instead to have Stasis Supercharger installed. Now have more power, from dyno'ing based on my at wheel numbers i'm now 550hp-560hp at crank and over 420tq. Had installed at Audi dealer and it's fully warrantied.
My Stasis

My interior, So much better than Porsche IMO

Last edited by Scott1961; 03-07-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:36 PM
DD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud of
If you are worried about being bored in the R8, just disconnect the front drive shaft. RWD is more FUN

Prob an awesome Mid Engine RWD car

Old 03-07-2011, 04:45 PM
R8 delivers 80% power to rear wheels. Turn off traction control and I can play and make car feel close to RWD

Old 03-07-2011, 07:11 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
R8 over a C2S hand down any day!

Build quality- performance - style and every other reason you can think of.

And when you want to take it to the next level :

GMG World Challenge - R8 V10 Twin Turbo

Designed - Engineered- Developed and built in house.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:00 PM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
Given all of the little trim benefits you get with the V10 and the factory warranty I think its worth the extra cash over the V8.

Factory engine
Larger side scoops
Larger rear diffuser
Better front and rear bumper, less fins = no cheese grater look
Offset silver vents in rear window/engine cover
Most "options" standard

To me thats worth the additional $30-40k and no headache. Not to mention the cars obviously retain their value so its not like its cash out the window. On the flip side, good luck selling that modded R8 V8 and trying to recoup the invested cash.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:20 PM
thebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by raiyu
Had my 997TT for 3 years, put 65,000 miles on it, and got a '10 R8 V10 about 2 months ago.

The quick answer: R8 V10 > 997TT

The 997TT is a great car, but after driving the R8 V10 there's really no comparison, it wins in pretty much every category.

1. Exterior: R8 : put them side by side and the 997TT just doesn't have the same appeal. The R8 is a supercar that just happens to be a reliable Audi underneath. Back, front, side, 3/4 it wins from every angle. But from the back, which was my favorite angle for the 997TT, the R8 just looks killer.

2. Interior: R8 : I would put the R8's interior a notch above the Turbos. It's less fussy, fewer buttons, and has a more unique feel. The finishes without adding any options just feel more solid. Just the way the doors close, the feel of the leather, and ergonomically its great. I'm 6'1-6'2" and fit with no issues. It does have a slightly high dead pedal at first but you get used to it and its at a better height for the clutch actually.

3. Sound System: -- : Can't really say either sound system is hands above the other, maybe the R8s slightly edges out the Turbo, but not enough to really have a clear winner.

4. Electronics : R8 : Given that I had an '08 TT with no factory options for bluetooth or satellite radio, I give this to the R8. The NAV is good, no complaints there. Bluetooth is good quality no issues, and menus are easy to use.

5. Exhaust: R8 : Stock for stock, R8 all the way. Just deeper fuller sound from the V10 compared to the Turbo's 6.

6. Power: R8 : The NA R8 just puts the power down immediately. No turbo lag, no delay, it just moves. Really just makes it so much fun to push the car in the higher RPMs.

7. Transmission/Shifter: R8 : I put in the short shifter in the TT so I can't really recall the stock feel. But the R8 is by far the smoothest shifting I've ever encountered. Not to mention the flywheel seems lighter than the Turbo, you definitely need to switch gears faster than the TT to catch the RPMs between 2nd and 3rd, etc. And the metallic gate, supercar territory all the way.

9. Suspension : R8 : The stock ride height for the TT seems a bit high by comparison. The R8 also has one of the firmest and solid suspensions of any car. It just feels well put together and balanced and really copes well with the horrible roads of NYC.

8. Every Day Driving DD: R8 : The R8 just seems easier to drive overall. Whats funny is that after you drive it for a week you forget that its a super car. It just becomes an every day car thats comfortable on long trips. The TT was no slouch in this department either, but the feel of the suspension over the horrible roads gives it the edge plus it has a 24 gallon gas tank. Also the way the car is designed I'm not scraping the front anywhere. I'm of course careful but its well designed. Also comes with the rear view camera and so many parking sensors front and rear that you can park it anywhere. It even has sensors on the bottom of the lip and the rear to not only tell you how close you are to something, but also if you are about to scrape the front or rear. Mine does come with the Hill-Assist, which I actually hate, but I could see how it could be useful for others that aren't as used to manual.

9. Mileage : TT : While the R8 does get worse gas mileage especially if you aren't crusing in 6th gear, what it does do is give you a 24 gallon! gas tank. If you're on a long road trip and you fill up you'll see your range at 400+ miles. Driving in 3rd and 4th you will be eating up a lot more gas, probably about as bad as a Range Rover supercharged. I give the TT the win on this one because it does get better gas mileage in every gear and its gas tank isn't that small to make it a bother.

10. WOW Factor : R8 : This one is of course subjective, but it definitely goes to the R8 in my opinion, I didn't need anything else but to put the two cars side by side to immediately see the difference. The R8 just has so many sculpted lines, especially the V10 with its side skirts, exhaust, larger diffuser, larger scoops, its just perfect as is and doesn't require any mods. The 997TT on the other hand I was modding after the first year to keep the car exciting and give it more visual appeal. The added benefit is that you get a Super Car thats an Audi so it doesn't ever feel pretentious. It's just classy and exotic and not as flamboyant as a Gallardo or something equally as outrageous. Not to mention I got mine in black which I think makes it more understated as well. Additionally the 911 is a 911 to so much of the public. We know the differences, but the 997TT and the GT3RS shares so much DNA with the 997 911 that it just feels like a more common car. As for the R8, I've probably seen a total of 2 on the streets in NYC since launch. And the price of the car certainly attests to this.

Verdict: R8 V10 #WINNING

Can't comment on the R8 V8, never test drove it. I think the visual lines of the V10 are just so much more refined and I knew if I got the V8 I would be modding it to make it look like the V10. Not to mention the V10 itself is just amazing, I mean a lambo engine with an Audi Warranty, who could say no to that?
Thanks for this great summation of the virtues of the R8 V10; it makes me want one even more. Now if I could just be assured that it can be driven at 8/10ths on the road course without any issues such as over-heating etc., I would probably go for it.
Bish

Old 03-08-2011, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by thebishman
Thanks for this great summation of the virtues of the R8 V10; it makes me want one even more. Now if I could just be assured that it can be driven at 8/10ths on the road course without any issues such as over-heating etc., I would probably go for it.
Bish
Got no plans to take it to the track since I got my exige. Haven't seen too many of them on the track either, so maybe someone else can chime in.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:19 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by djantlive
The only issue I have with R8 is the looks. While not bad looking in any means, it's still not an exotic look like a Ferrari and Lamborghini. It distinctively looks like an Audi. I think it's good for Audi to do that to keep its heritage and brand image. If you like the looks, either V10 or V8 will make a great car. But the same can be said about 997 also. That's why I bought a Gallardo instead. Something different. Life is short so try something new!
what? a friend of mine has owned an R8 for almost 2 years.
he switched to a 911 again, not because it is the better car, but because he couldn`t stand the immense attention he got. It was driving him crazy.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by raiyu

To me thats worth the additional $30-40k and no headache. Not to mention the cars obviously retain their value so its not like its cash out the window. On the flip side, good luck selling that modded R8 V8 and trying to recoup the invested cash.
If I were starting over and didn't have the V8 of course the better decision would be to buy the V10. What I did was decided by not wanting to take the hit I would have taken trading on a car that was a little over a year old and already put over $13k in mods on. The $30k I spent on Supercharger will buy me another couple years of enjoying car.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:45 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
Bish

Done and Done...

The R8 is easier to drive at the limit and more rewarding.

This coming from someone who has not only modified but driven a good number of TT's on road and track over the years.

Like someone posted.

The R8 has all the supercar appeal with out the "p*&^" behind the wheel status.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C2S to R8???