Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

An R8 primer for a Porsche guy?

Old 09-11-2017, 09:01 PM
pfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the rough
An R8 primer for a Porsche guy?

I know Porsche's inside and out. Aircooled and modern, 911's and Caymans. What goes wrong with them, what issues to look out for when purchasing, what the best years are, what the best trim levels are and the differences between them, what options to look for, what prices to pay, how to fix them, etc. etc. etc. Currently driving a 996 Twin Turbo, looking at 997 TT's but have owned many more over the years.

I know Audi's just a bit. Bought a Q5 for my wife, never needs anything and goes to the dealer for oil changes. Only mods and knowledge are simple VCDS type tweeks.

I'm starting to see earlier R8's with more miles at really attractive prices, $60's and $70's, which is similar pricing to the 997 Turbo's I'm looking at, and want to consider R8's as an alternative.

Can anyone point to a really concise thread (or provide the info here) that can start to educate me on R8's, what years/trims/configuration to not really even bother considering if any, thoughts on a higher than average mile R8, early R8 issues, will I be happy with a V8 instead of a V10, how easy are they to work on, what are the typical failures and how difficult (labor) and expensive (parts) is it to fix the most common issues, etc.?

I've been trying to search and read, but haven't really found the golden ticket thread yet.

In exchange, I'd be happy to offer whatever advice/opinions/information I have on virtually any year/model/generation/trim 911 if an Audi guy is considering buying a Porsche!

Old 09-11-2017, 11:06 PM
lilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura about
Bump for any info!

Old 09-14-2017, 08:12 PM
j. Kush is on a distinguished road
FWIW, I once gave a friend a spin in a modded V10 R8. When we parked I turned to him and said, "Now do you want to go for a ride in a real sportscar?" A second later we hopped in a fully bolted 997 Turbo and took off.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:08 PM
pfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the rough
Not a lot of love in the R8 forum... Subject been beat to death or just no enthusiast owners?

Old 09-15-2017, 02:30 PM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
I would go to r8talk.com. Active forum over there for all the information you are looking for.

If you afford the extra delta, you will be happier with the V10 over the V8.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.