Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

RS4 & Milltek - Just can't Stand Quiet

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 10:01 PM
offroad911 is on a distinguished road
RS4 & Milltek - Just can't Stand Quiet

Well, I have had the privilege of my Daytona/Black RS4 for a week and it is everything I hoped for and more. At delivery I was a bit under whelmed with the performance, however after a week things have changed, and SIGNIFICANTLY.

At delivery I felt that the car was simply too tight and the response was lacking. Each mile has proven just how well the car is built. Each mile the car is more responsive, quicker, flatter, and more nimble and is beginning to exceed my expectations.

Handling is absolutely flat making posted 30mph corners very easy at 90mph. Response to steering input is instant and requires very methodical corrections in the learning curve. Steering is much more responsive than either of my S4's. I was not impressed with the shifter at delivery and today I can say it is smoother and more positive than either of my S4's. The brakes are simply awesome! Having driven big brake equipped S4's, there is no comparison to the RS4 brakes. I firmly believe that if I tried hard I could stand the RS4 on its nose!

The fit and finish of the car is impressive and to those who know, instantly draws a crowd. Saturday I was back at the dealer for coffee and donuts and a sneak peek at the new 997 Turbo. My RS4 drew a bigger crowd. The engine compartment is a work of art and a must see for anyone looking at the RS4. The engine compartment gives new meaning to "over the top". Stopped by a friends GMC dealership and instantly emptied the showroom of sales people. Spent 30 minutes answering questions from "gear heads" that happen to sell GMC's.

Running the car through the gears is effortless and intoxicating. The rate of speedometer sweep is validation for the performance specs posted for the RS4. The Sport button is not my cup of tea and I find it a bit too sensitive in the remap of the throttle response. The exhaust is certainly better with the "S" button engaged, however I need to hear the FSI injected 4.2 "talk" to me and the stock exhaust simply doesn’t do it for me, even in the "S" mode.

Monday I spoke with Bob (owner) at Stratsmosphere and he "hooked" me up with one of the first two Milltek RS4 catback systems to arrive in the US. The Stratsmosphere RS4 gets the first one and I get the second. Since there won't be anymore for about six weeks, I feel very fortunate. More HP and sound to go with it, how could it get any better? So as soon as the Milltek arrives I will post a follow-up.

I feel privileged and humble to own such an automobile. While very different than my Porsche 996 TT "S", the RS4 is in a league of its own and offers performance on a world class level. The RS4 certainly establishes the benchmark for a Super Sedan class. BMW will have to work very hard to make the new (coming) M3 a competitor.

Old 06-21-2006, 01:03 AM
NMT
Former Vendor
NMT is a splendid one to beholdNMT is a splendid one to beholdNMT is a splendid one to beholdNMT is a splendid one to beholdNMT is a splendid one to beholdNMT is a splendid one to beholdNMT is a splendid one to behold
Great info!!! Does anyone make a coil-over supension yet??? Im thinking very seriously about the RS4 instead of a 996TT...

Old 06-21-2006, 10:38 AM
Banned
Benjamin Choi will become famous soon enough
90mph at 30mph posted speed limits, eh? good job, man. way to play it safe on the streets.

otherwise, solid post. i like the RS4, tho i'd never get one.

Old 06-21-2006, 10:54 AM
Mad Swami is a name known to allMad Swami is a name known to allMad Swami is a name known to allMad Swami is a name known to allMad Swami is a name known to allMad Swami is a name known to all
Congrats on the new car. You will love the milltek... granted I don't have the same motor as you, but the exhaust is just great. Do post clips when you get it

Old 06-21-2006, 11:08 AM
Mr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond repute
Nice write up. You should enjoy the Milltek. I had their full exhaust including cats on my RS6.

Old 06-21-2006, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
90mph at 30mph posted speed limits, eh? good job, man. way to play it safe on the streets.

otherwise, solid post. i like the RS4, tho i'd never get one.
Having lived twice the number of years you are old without incident and having raced the better part of my life, you can rest assured that I would never endanger anyone other than myself in any automobile situation.

Old 06-21-2006, 02:57 PM
Mad Swami & Mr Kram - Thanks for the compliments. I had Full Milltek on both of my S4's so I am familiar with the product and the sound. Should be even better on the RS4 !

Old 06-21-2006, 03:23 PM
MeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of light
Congrats offroad911, Nice RS4, I just love them , I am sure you will get a distinctive exhaust sound and a nice burble

Old 06-21-2006, 10:41 PM
TT
TT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of light
any chance for pictures!?

Old 06-21-2006, 10:49 PM
mkell has a spectacular aura aboutmkell has a spectacular aura aboutmkell has a spectacular aura about
Great write up! I am glad that you are enjoying your RS4! Any chance of some sound clips once the Milltek arrives? Enjoy in good health!

Old 06-22-2006, 07:07 PM
Jas0n is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by offroad911
Having lived twice the number of years you are old without incident and having raced the better part of my life, you can rest assured that I would never endanger anyone other than myself in any automobile situation.
2nd that, didn't you know EVERYONE on 6speed is a former pro racer who won le mans at least twice.

i dont care how "good" a driver you are, whilst taking a 30mph corner at 90 mph, you are always putting someone else at risk; unless of course, the road is an imagineable one without any possibility of additional traffic, no homes nor driveways from which cars could suddenly emerge, no joggers nor cyclists waiting around the bend, and no need for firefighters to risk their lives to save you from the fiery wreackage that would become your rs4 if your tire blew in the middle of such a corner. i guess since all those criteria obtain in this situation, then you havent put ANYONE else in danger.

but its okay i guess since you're old and you raced at one time in your life.

Last edited by Jas0n; 06-22-2006 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:17 PM
Sheynk has a reputation beyond reputeSheynk has a reputation beyond reputeSheynk has a reputation beyond reputeSheynk has a reputation beyond reputeSheynk has a reputation beyond reputeSheynk has a reputation beyond reputeSheynk has a reputation beyond reputeSheynk has a reputation beyond reputeSheynk has a reputation beyond reputeSheynk has a reputation beyond reputeSheynk has a reputation beyond repute
dude....you need one of these or something?

Old 06-23-2006, 07:31 PM
Dr. T will become famous soon enough
Pics please!

Old 07-01-2006, 06:29 PM
Banned
786 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
Originally Posted by Jas0n
2nd that, didn't you know EVERYONE on 6speed is a former pro racer who won le mans at least twice.

i dont care how "good" a driver you are, whilst taking a 30mph corner at 90 mph, you are always putting someone else at risk; unless of course, the road is an imagineable one without any possibility of additional traffic, no homes nor driveways from which cars could suddenly emerge, no joggers nor cyclists waiting around the bend, and no need for firefighters to risk their lives to save you from the fiery wreackage that would become your rs4 if your tire blew in the middle of such a corner. i guess since all those criteria obtain in this situation, then you havent put ANYONE else in danger.

but its okay i guess since you're old and you raced at one time in your life.
couple of crybabies in this thread

glad to hear you are enjoying your RS4 offroad911!