Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

For those that traded Carrera for RS4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 02:18 PM
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
For those that traded Carrera for RS4

I know there are a few guys here who traded in C2 and C2S cars for RS4s. What kind of hit did you guys take? I am seriously considering trading in my 997S for an RS4 for a variety of reasons (lower payments, year-round usefulness, etc.).

Please fill me in on what I should be aware of. I know I'll take a hit, but it might be worth it in the long run. Thanks in advance!!

Old 06-10-2007, 02:20 PM
MiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant future
Don't do it Chris.

Old 06-10-2007, 02:28 PM
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MiniDHinkle
Don't do it Chris.
Between the house I don't live in (in San Diego) and the car, I eat up a ton of $$ every month. I need to make some changes so I can do some other things in life I want to do...

I hear you though - it would be a tough move.

Old 06-10-2007, 03:30 PM
alkyoneus has a spectacular aura aboutalkyoneus has a spectacular aura aboutalkyoneus has a spectacular aura about
im sure you wont regret it once you plow that sucker thru the snow in winter, you'll be grinning from ear to ear once you do..., enjoy the summer with the porsche, start finding some ceritified rs4's and you wont take as much of a hit, if any

Old 06-10-2007, 04:29 PM
B7S4 is on a distinguished road
I went to Rockville Audi, and they have got about 4 in stock. You might get a good deal on one of 'em

Old 06-10-2007, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by B7S4
I went to Rockville Audi, and they have got about 4 in stock. You might get a good deal on one of 'em
Thanks for the heads-up... I might send them an e-mail to see how they'll do me on my trade.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:46 PM
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
Chris,

What could possibly be more important than having a home in SD and a 997S??? LOL

The RS4 is sick car but i dont know if i could dump a 997 for it.....just get the Evo! LMAO

Old 06-10-2007, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by pearlcoupeg35
Chris,

What could possibly be more important than having a home in SD and a 997S??? LOL

The RS4 is sick car but i dont know if i could dump a 997 for it.....just get the Evo! LMAO
The ideal solution is to find another job in SD, but it's not looking likely. This is a move to try to be a little more rational with my spending.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:13 AM
oalvarez will become famous soon enough
Chris, good day to you, I think we've crossed paths on this subject before. I'm your perfect test case as I owned a 997c2 and GLADLY/HAPPILY sold it for a RS4 and yet to say that I miss the Porsche. For me it was rather simple; my daily driving needs ended up requiring more than two doors and two jumpseats. At the end of the day, the 997 purchase was a mistake (live and learn i suppose). So, how did i make the switch?

-Put the 997 up for sale on the boards/internet.....What did i learn? there aren't many people who want to spend $$$ on a used car as opposed to financing a brand new one that sits in a fancy showroom. I also learned that there were tons of used 997's to choose from and P-car exclusivity is not what it used to be.

-Took the 997 back to the dealership that I bought it from. They just so happened to have a RS4 at their Audi dealership. Given that we had purchased other cars from them and had a good relationship with one another, they made the transaction easy as easy gets. They paid me what I considered to be a fair price (above Kelley, above Manheim) and helped lay the groundwork for the RS4.

-Paid MSRP (back in March) on a 3yr lease..5k down, 1250/mo including tax. Could you find a better deal today? Sure, but a little more difficult here in southern california/los angeles. I've seen payments as low as $1100 on similar lease terms and I've also read about NEW cars trading well below MSRP, but I haven't found too many of those instances in our locale.

Bottom line: I love the RS4, it receives FAR more compliments than the 997 did, it's mean as hell, exclusive, I can scoot the kids around a lot easier, and I can also do so much more with it before having to ask the wife for the Rover. For me, it's the perfect daily driver. Will I someday have a Porsche for weekend purposes? Absolutely, and it will most likely be a 993.

Regards

Old 06-11-2007, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the info - most likely I would be trading mine back into the dealership (Porsche/Audi under one roof). I just hope they don't crush me too badly...

Using the lease terms you mentioned, I might just be better off keeping the 911 ($1610/mo, 5 yrs left on loan) and getting the GTI ($300/mo). We'll see what the dealer says he'll give me on the trade. Again, thanks for the info.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:53 PM
oalvarez will become famous soon enough
the A3 is a great daily driver as well....i think your better half has one though? and the GTI is a great ride as well.

take good care

Old 06-12-2007, 10:16 AM
kem
kem is on a distinguished road
I sold my 996 C4S for my RS4, and I'm very happy with my choice. The C4S had certain advantages (better handling/lighter, alcantara headliner, full leather) however the RS4 motor is pure joy and negates some small things I miss from the C4S. My C4S wasn't all that optioned so the stereo/bluetooth/nav/mp3 etc from the RS4 was a huge bonus as well and they storage capacity is insane.

The RS4 is a heavy car and you will feel it if you push hard, however the handling is still VERY good and overall the car feels light on its feet. Audi did a very good job in that dept.

You've got a 997S, so I can't compare speed, but the RS4 is much faster than my C4S was. If having a super-nimble sports car is what you really want then the RS4 might not be the best choice. However if you want something more practical but you can still flog it through the canyons and have tons of fun then the RS4 is it.

I'm really impressed with the car, and the free-reving nature of the V8 is insane. It feels somewhat fast until 5500rpm, then from their to 8250rm is insane. Gas mileage was a little better in the C4S though. I can get 20mpg highway with the RS4 and its about 14/15mpg when I went for a drive this weekend (high rev's etc...)

Old 12-08-2007, 01:40 PM
BigMac78 is on a distinguished road
Same

I sold my 996 Targa for many of the reasons you guys did. I traded it in for a 06 S4 since I could not afford the RS4. It is more practical, does better on gas and I love the gadgets. It eats gas but its easier to drive moderately in an Audi vs. my 911.

I dont know how you guys do $1610 a month. Mine is under $500 and I think I am high! But then again, I am in Dallas and you guys are in Cali.