Drivetrain: 4WD & AWD

Sale Pending on the 993tt.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:07 PM
ZeroCounter is on a distinguished road
DROOOOOOL....

GLWS - This car is absolutely gorgeous!

Old 11-27-2011, 11:58 PM
Niels E46 M3 is on a distinguished road
did the car sell?? Please lmk asap. Ready to send deposit.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:13 PM
aw21 is on a distinguished road
Full payment made. New owner should receive the car soon.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:08 AM
DTM LGND is on a distinguished road
Congrats Andy and to the new owner!

Old 02-22-2012, 03:39 PM
fnunez is on a distinguished road
Clean car? Not so fast

Sadly after purchasing this 993 TT from Andy, smoke started to come out the exhaust, someone at Andy's dealership or mechanic had over tighten the filters and broken the check valves that prevent the oil from getting back into the intercooler piping, $$$ CHA CHING !! But thats not the end of this adventure, upon my mechanic removing the intercooler and piping he found that the car had been re-painted in the rear from previous accident, cant find wrinkles on the body but it has been repainted and blended in from rear to front of passenger and driver doors. So there goes the price from $71K purchase to probably $50K if I am lucky and some chump (like me) buys it sight unseen. So moral of the story, GET AN INSPECTION !!! before you trust anyone to sell you a "clean car". Regards, FJN.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:47 PM
Hi Fernando,

Hope you're doing well.

I'm very sorry the car hasn't worked out. The car was brought to the local Porsche dealership for all that service as you can tell from the hefty receipt that was provided to you. If you were local, I'd bring the car right back to talk to them about it.

As for the accident history, I was the 3rd owner and had no knowledge of it. I ran a carfax and it came back clean. Previous owner also had no mention of it and when I had it inspected prior to my purchase, it wasn't mentioned.

Andy

Originally Posted by fnunez
Sadly after purchasing this 993 TT from Andy, smoke started to come out the exhaust, someone at Andy's dealership or mechanic had over tighten the filters and broken the check valves that prevent the oil from getting back into the intercooler piping, $$$ CHA CHING !! But thats not the end of this adventure, upon my mechanic removing the intercooler and piping he found that the car had been re-painted in the rear from previous accident, cant find wrinkles on the body but it has been repainted and blended in from rear to front of passenger and driver doors. So there goes the price from $71K purchase to probably $50K if I am lucky and some chump (like me) buys it sight unseen. So moral of the story, GET AN INSPECTION !!! before you trust anyone to sell you a "clean car". Regards, FJN.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:01 PM
Andy,

To say the car has not worked out for me is an understatement. If I had any legal foothold as far as going back on this deal with you I would certainly exercise that option. But good for you and bad for me I don't have luck on my side. I hope you can understand why I am upset, the reason and only reason I paid you $71K for this car was because you told me that this car had not been in any accident or had any body work or re-paint done to it at all. If I were selling a car of this caliber (not a honda or a toyota) I would certainly be 100% sure that the vehicle had not had any re-sprays done to it before stating to a purchaser that indeed there is no work done to the car. My mistake was not to get it in writing from you, and the cost of that mistake is about $20K, if not more.

If you didn't know then you didnt know, I accept that from you. What upsets me is that you should have looked into it with more caution to avoid a situation like the one I am in today. I am not a millionaire nor have money to throw away as it were just hot air. As far as carfaxs are concern they are worthless.

I am a firm believer that what goes around comes around. Regards, FJN

Old 02-23-2012, 06:12 AM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate purchase but it's hard for me to swallow that the previuos owner didn't know about the re-paint ?

Yes i am a firm believer of " What goes around comes around" too .... Just a matter of time....

Old 02-23-2012, 07:20 AM
Unfortunate circumstance

Quick, thanks for your post. I do believe that the prior owner felt he had done his research and was confident that the car had no issues. Upon closer inspection there were signs of re-spray, such as engine area had overspray on 2 rubber grommets just below the rain rails. Also there was still masking tape all over the rear by the inside of the tail lights. I am mostly upset at myself for just taking his word and not sending a qualified inspector. But to compound that, the prior owner should have been 100% sure that there were no issues before assuring me that the car had no bodywork or re-sprays. Im frustrated to say the least, reason why I am venting here. I guess just want to fair warn buyers to go that step further and get the car inspected no matter from whom they are purchasing it. I didnt think this would happen in the Porsche community but it did. Again, thanks for your interest and thoughts. Regards, FJN

Old 02-23-2012, 08:21 AM
Unfortunately, I'm no expert when it comes to paint and body work. From my knowledge, there was no accident history. I was not the original owner and didn't claim to know it's full history - only what I was told/shown. You were so excited when you called and I vividly remember the conversation. You heard what you wanted to hear when talking over the phone. When asked about paint I stated, from what I could tell and to my knowledge, there doesn't appear to be accident history or paintwork but I'm was not the original owner.

It required your mechanic to really take things apart to realize there may have been some work done after you had the car for some time so you too, could not tell. You were very happy w/ the car once purchased so to fault me for not "knowing" as you didn't know is a bit unfair.

I actually had the car inspected prior to my purchase and it was not disclosed to me that the car had been in an accident. I at least went that far and someone missed it.

To blame me for not doing enough research on the car is a bit unfair when I myself at least had the car inspected when you did not. Moral of the story is, everyone should obtain a thorough PPI from a reputable professional prior to purchasing. If paint/body is of a primary concern, a professional consult should be sought out by the buyer seeking that confirmation. Unfortunately, for us, my PPI wasn't thorough enough and you never paid for one even though you were more than welcome to one.

To insinuate that I did all this on purpose or had knowledge of the paintwork wishing me harm("what goes around comes around") seems a bit unfair. I have never not disclosed what I've known about a car when selling.

We talked numerous times and you seem like a great guy so I know you're probably just frustrated.

Regardless, I wish you the best.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:03 AM

Andy,

If you read all my posts you will see that in all of them I am defending the fact that you did not know the car had a re-spray or been in any accident. And my decision to purchase that car was based on that assuption. If you want to take the quote "what goes around comes around" personally then thats your option to do so, you are a grown man. That was directed at whomever is responsible for this abortion. For you to say "unfair" during this debacle seems to me that you have not grasp the severity of this situation. Bottom line is I paid top dollar for an "original" car without any issues, and that is not the fact. If you remember the first e-mail I sent you right after I got the car, I told you that I heard a loud noise in the rear of the car as I make right turns, I guess aside from not realizing there was overspray in the car, you also could not hear very well grinding noises. Again, I had asked you if the car had mechanical issues and you said no, the noise was a fluke, well Andy is not a fluke. The noise is there, but I am not going to investigate further or waste any more money to try and correct the issue that is there as a result of a rear end accident. Yes I was extremely happy in our conversations over the cell because this car for me was a dream come thru, but as you see some dreams are really nightmares. Again, if you took my opinions as wishing you some type of harm then I apologize for that, but thats out of my control, take it for what it is...a really bad deal for me. Regards, FJN

Old 02-23-2012, 10:04 AM
I even recall bringing the car into a shop for a detail before Monterey week last year. I really wanted to have the front bumper resprayed from the usual freeway chips but ended up deciding against it as I thought the car was original and really wanted to keep it that way.

Even had a conversation with the detailer about that and he didn't know it was repainted.

Fernando, I'm really sorry that the car isn't what we both thought it was in terms of paint.

I've also learned a valuable lesson to NOT bring older Pcars to dealers. It appears most guru's have gone and went to open their own shops and the new blood in there are not as familiar. $4k was spent at that last service and now Fernando is stating it was all for nothing.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:37 AM
Overlake will become famous soon enough
As an impartial observer that very much enjoys browsing this forum because you can sometimes come across truly quality used cars fs owned by enthusiasts, the best thing that can come out of this is a lesson learned for everyone taking a read.

*Get a thorough PPI and ensure your inspector knows to check for body damage and evidence of respray*

I'm pretty sure both FJN and Andy would not wish this same horrible result impinging negatively along both the financial and emotional fronts on anyone. The lesson learned is that we all spend the extra time and $ to get that PPI as it'll protect both the buyer and seller. If you want complete peace of mind, buy new. Else, there's always greater risk in the used market so take action to reduce this risk.

We'll never really know if Andy knew or didn't know about the accident/respray. It was FJN's responsibility to protect himself and the law reflects this notion.

It's a really crappy outcome, but hey, at the end of the day, it's a car. You still have your health and we can do our best to learn from our mistakes and move forward.

Thanks for being so open to sharing here. It's a teaching moment.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:49 AM
KJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond repute
hot potato.. fnunez got it and lost $20k.. aw21 got lucky (and gained $20k). aw21 in good conscience should probably offer some concession, but he legally doesn't have to.

Sorry to hear fnunez. You see these supposed "no stories" cars for sale. You never really know. In this case, it's better to buy a newer 996 turbo at half the cost..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: FS: 1996 Porsche 993 Turbo 29k original miles All Stock