Price:

Mileage:

Location (State):

Attention!!!!! Sellers Beware!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 04:11 PM
Y65MPH will become famous soon enoughY65MPH will become famous soon enough
Most banks do not verify funds. If they verify, it is just a snap shot of the account at the time you call. If there are checks outstanding it could still render your funds insufficient.

Paypal now takes 3-5 days to deposit money into your account even though it is technically an EFT. So they are playing with the money as well. Never ship goods until funds are pulled into your possession. I also use a $100.00 balance acct for paypal. I never mingle funds in that acct. Once the transfer is made the funds a promptly removed leaving a $100.00 balance. This way if Paypal is ever hacked the is no real balance in that acct.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:58 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
The point is that the account may have funds, but the document/instrument may be a forgery!

Agree on paypal. I will NEVER make a paypal payment for over $100 with a bank transfer.... I'll only use credit card so that I can reverse the charge if necessary. Paypal tries everything they can to try and get you to fund a transaction with the debit (duh)... they try to 'sell it' to you as a better way to go, but they are doing it to increase their fee AND reduce your ability to reverse the transfer....

Old 02-25-2008, 03:37 PM
angman is on a distinguished road
Bank Drafts/ Money orders and cheques can take a very long time to clear sometimes. Although your Bank may only hold it for a few days. Heck most of you 911 owners probably have enough cash in your account that yor bank may not hold any deposits. However, Bank clearing systems are prehistoric and for example a US cheque clearing through our Canadian Banks can take anywhere up to 30 days. Also Canadian cheques clearing through a Canadian Bank account might clear even if it is a forged cheque. The system only searches for out of sequence serila numbers, large $ amounts (this varies), and completely fake cheques. If I were to write a $3000 cheque today to my friend and not even sign it, the cheque will still clear and be deposited to his account tomorow. It is only if I go back to the Bank to complain will the Bank go and reverse the charge because it wasn't even signed. We have an imperfect system, but its the way it is due to the sheer volume of cheques that clear in one day.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:30 PM
drop997stop can only hope to improve
escrow control

I Do Buisness With Escrow Control!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-26-2008, 04:59 PM
Charles Gill is on a distinguished road
My name is Charles Gill and I am President of Escrow Control Company. I would like to clarify the statement made on a previous post. Escrow Control Company has not sent any of the fraudulent checks that were received by numerous individuals across the United States. Escrow Control Company is also a victim of this Nigerian scam. Someone has fraudulently opened an account with UPS using Escrow Control's name. From our research we have determined that all packages have originated from Romoland, California. Escrow Control Company has contacted UPS and requested that the account be closed as soon as we learned of it.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:29 AM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
As I tried to sell my M3 and even expensive rims on craigslist, I got several of these fishy email scams....ridiculous! As if they are trying to overpay you!

Old 02-27-2008, 01:11 AM
BLKM3 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kzrsoize
Very common scam, i think its referred to as the nigerian 419 scam. Be careful of these *******s.
LOL, always a nigerian scam.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:32 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Lorenzo Cake (MontrealM3cab here on the forum...he is now banned) burned me for $277 using this scam. It was a Canadian money order...and bounced a couple of weeks later. Of course by then he had gotten his stuff.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:58 AM
GT-Tan is on a distinguished road
Have a first hand experience when I sold my last P-car. A guy actually showed up with a counterfeit cashier check. Check looked real, with water mark etc. No bargain on the asking price and only question from him was "Does this car has any alarm?". He claimed to pick up the car for his dad, and gave me a copy of his dad's driver license. I was a bit suspicious, so holding back on the title until check clear. He agreed and took off with the car. Went to bank to deposit the cashier check, and they told me the acct # and the person does not exist. Making long story short, I have to file a forgery report and very lucky that insurance company considered the car stolen as I still have the title.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:42 AM
B-moreBroker is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ard
The point is that the account may have funds, but the document/instrument may be a forgery!

Agree on paypal. I will NEVER make a paypal payment for over $100 with a bank transfer.... I'll only use credit card so that I can reverse the charge if necessary. Paypal tries everything they can to try and get you to fund a transaction with the debit (duh)... they try to 'sell it' to you as a better way to go, but they are doing it to increase their fee AND reduce your ability to reverse the transfer....
Very, very, very good point... I believe that AMEX is by far the best way to pay with paypal as they will reverse immediately if you have any problems on paypal... I have done before... I wouldn't pay any other way online...

Old 02-27-2008, 12:40 PM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by B-moreBroker
Very, very, very good point... I believe that AMEX is by far the best way to pay with paypal as they will reverse immediately if you have any problems on paypal... I have done before... I wouldn't pay any other way online...
agree - american express is the way to go.
they are pro customer.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:11 PM
wilfred is on a distinguished road
Wow, scary, never thought a cashier's check takes so long to cash in reality. As some of you have unfortunatly learned it the hard way. I am very surprised to hear some would come back over a month later! So the safe way to go is Paypal or wire transfer right? And for large amount, the only way is wire transfer from now on.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:52 AM
jcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to behold
someone tried that on me on craigslist. i was selling my rims off my 740...dumbass couldn't write/spell

Old 02-29-2008, 10:41 AM
c2mojo will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by ard
Yes, the checks "clear" your bank, but are rejected by the 'originating' bank- either forgeries, closed accounts, fake checks.

Lets say you get a cashiers check and deposit it. Say your bank just puts a hold it.... they will usually just 'estimate' a time frame to 'clear' it- lets say 10 days. At the end of 10 days they let you draw the money, but they really don't know if the check actually cleared. Once the originating bank spots the forgery, they refuse payment, your bank debits your account! It can be 30 days later!
Happened to me back in the early 90's. Lost $5000! Sold a ZX7 to a nice couple and they gave me a forged cashiers check from a legit bank. Took the check to my bank and they ran it and cleared but the originating bank rejected it. Never recovered the bike and the FBI called me 90 days later to say that a bunch of blank checks were stolen from a local bank and this couple were buying bikes all over so. cal

Sucked big time and took me 2 years to recover (was 19 at the time)

Now if I sell something I ask to go their bank and give me cash. I don't even want cash handed to me from a buyer but from a teller.