Price:

Mileage:

Location (State):

Attention!!!!! Sellers Beware!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 03:42 PM
Y65MPH will become famous soon enoughY65MPH will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Attention!!!!! Sellers Beware!!!!!

There is a scam going on where you might receive a check for an item you have for sale here on 6speed. The check will come from Escrow Control Co. in Santa Clara CA. It will most likely be for far more than the asking price of your item. You will be asked to forward the balance to a transportation company.

If you did get one of the checks DO NOT DEPOSIT the check!!! They currently know of at least 20 checks that have gone out. Please call Escrow Control Co. at 408-246-2263, the FBI is currently working on this issue.

Mods if you think it is smart to make this a sticky, please do so.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:56 PM
joesmoe is on a distinguished road
Don't forget money orders too. Check those and call the number on the back to verify if its legit.

they ask you to western union it.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:28 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
This scam is common on Craigs List. The cashiers checks bounce.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:00 PM
mtesh73 will become famous soon enough
ive heard of this before too, maybe ebay also, definately craigs list.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:50 PM
kzrsoize is on a distinguished road
Very common scam, i think its referred to as the nigerian 419 scam. Be careful of these *******s.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:36 AM
TT/T is on a distinguished road
Why would anyone send you more money then required to pay for an item and then expect you to send the difference back?

This has SCAM written all over it.

Plus don't forget guys, wait for any check to fully clear before you send any item sold, let alone the extra money!!!!!

Old 02-02-2008, 12:55 PM
zdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud ofzdr2k has much to be proud of
I usually use paypal. have not had any problems this way.

thanks for the headsup.

jorge

Old 02-02-2008, 05:57 PM
DeMejico is on a distinguished road
I posted my car on autotrader's website and I got a least 5 scammers trying to get at me

Old 02-02-2008, 06:40 PM
edl
edl is on a distinguished road
thanks for the heads up - this is good information.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:10 PM
cap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by DeMejico
I posted my car on autotrader's website and I got a least 5 scammers trying to get at me
If you don't mind sharing, how did you know they're scams and thanks for the heads up.

What I've also heard is that even if some cashier's checks / money orders clear from your bank, it can still be a fake and you end up paying your bank for it. Anyone can verify / shed light to this?

Old 02-02-2008, 10:59 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cap'sx51

What I've also heard is that even if some cashier's checks / money orders clear from your bank, it can still be a fake and you end up paying your bank for it. Anyone can verify / shed light to this?
Yes, the checks "clear" your bank, but are rejected by the 'originating' bank- either forgeries, closed accounts, fake checks.

Lets say you get a cashiers check and deposit it. Say your bank just puts a hold it.... they will usually just 'estimate' a time frame to 'clear' it- lets say 10 days. At the end of 10 days they let you draw the money, but they really don't know if the check actually cleared. Once the originating bank spots the forgery, they refuse payment, your bank debits your account! It can be 30 days later!

Old 02-03-2008, 09:24 AM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
yep they tried it some p car stuff i had for sale very poor english even worse spellllllling than mine HeHR...

Old 02-03-2008, 09:38 AM
Michael W. will become famous soon enoughMichael W. will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by ard
Yes, the checks "clear" your bank, but are rejected by the 'originating' bank- either forgeries, closed accounts, fake checks.

Lets say you get a cashiers check and deposit it. Say your bank just puts a hold it.... they will usually just 'estimate' a time frame to 'clear' it- lets say 10 days. At the end of 10 days they let you draw the money, but they really don't know if the check actually cleared. Once the originating bank spots the forgery, they refuse payment, your bank debits your account! It can be 30 days later!
I had a Canadian Postal Money Order bounce after 4 months! Worst yet, i called the phone# on the back of the money order, gave them the serial# on the money order, and the Canadian Post operator verified the money order as legitimate. Even when I got the forged money order back, I called the number on the back and they again verified it is legit. Go figure...

Old 02-04-2008, 03:50 PM
mrk818 is on a distinguished road
had someone try that with me

Old 02-04-2008, 03:57 PM
RG955TT is on a distinguished road
Is it me or how is it possible that the bank does not know funds are really there and the check is legit within let's say 3-5 business days? All banking is done electronically, they tend to hit my accounts immediatley...how is it that this all falls back on the seller? Are there ways to find out immediatley is funds/checks are legit? otherwise, is the only option a paypal type of thing(although that can have it's own issues)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Attention!!!!! Sellers Beware!!!!!