Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Continental GTC exhaust valves

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 01:38 AM
Samy is on a distinguished road
Continental GTC exhaust valves

Hy guys,

I just bought a white gtc an moticed that it has sport exhaust valves witch i can see just at the end of the exhaust. I Had the same on my carrera pse and did the switch trick and it works fine now,on all the time. Can i make the same on my bentley? Is there an similar modification to the valves as at the pse? For those that don't know the pse trick,there is in the engine compartment a wire that if you disconect the valves have no more vacum and remain open all the time,thus loud exhaust. Please help

Thanks a lot.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:36 AM
Banned
vk430gt is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Samy
Hy guys,

I just bought a white gtc an moticed that it has sport exhaust valves witch i can see just at the end of the exhaust. I Had the same on my carrera pse and did the switch trick and it works fine now,on all the time. Can i make the same on my bentley? Is there an similar modification to the valves as at the pse? For those that don't know the pse trick,there is in the engine compartment a wire that if you disconect the valves have no more vacum and remain open all the time,thus loud exhaust. Please help

Thanks a lot.
yes there is a fuse you would take out from the trunk fuse box but it will do something that dont remember specifically to the cats and cause some type of faliure. i suggest just getting the resonators and the butterfly valve mechanism fully uninstalled by a trusted mechanic. thats what we did to our spur and it sounded great.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:39 AM
ferrari355fi is a splendid one to beholdferrari355fi is a splendid one to beholdferrari355fi is a splendid one to beholdferrari355fi is a splendid one to beholdferrari355fi is a splendid one to beholdferrari355fi is a splendid one to beholdferrari355fi is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by vk430gt
yes there is a fuse you would take out from the trunk fuse box but it will do something that dont remember specifically to the cats and cause some type of faliure. i suggest just getting the resonators and the butterfly valve mechanism fully uninstalled by a trusted mechanic. thats what we did to our spur and it sounded great.
Why doesn't your dad have a GTC?

Old 06-27-2008, 09:51 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by ferrari355fi
Why doesn't your dad have a GTC?
its a long story, he was negotiating with the dealer and was 90% sure that he was getting a silver lake one with blue and saddle interior. but i posted about it on f-chat and then he didnt get the car and i had to cover up about it and said a bunch of lies, it got nasty, but im over it. he ended up not getting a gtc because he didnt want to have two of the same car even though he has a bentley fs and a gt speed, and then he had a gt2 997 on order with a gt3rs 997 in his garage and decided to give up his gt2 position for the same reason. but now listen to this, my mom wants a used gtc for her magic 50th and now my dad is looking in to one lol. talk about wife power.. I though i had persuasive skills.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:08 AM
Thanks...

Can you rebember if the failure to the cats was returned to normal once the fuse was put back or i should go to the dealear? Could you remeber wich fuse it was,anything that could help?

Old 06-27-2008, 10:15 AM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
Hey guys,

I just bought a white gtc an moticed that it has sport exhaust valves witch i can see just at the end of the exhaust. ----there is in the engine compartment a wire that if you disconect the valves have no more vacum and remain open all the time,thus loud exhaust. Please help
This is the same scenario as Ferrari and Maserati as well as a few other cars.

The valves serve two purposes: a) they keep unburnt gasses in the system longer to burn until revs increase; b) they reduce exhaust noise at low RPM's.

They are vacuum actuated, and you can remove and plug the vacuum line to the valve which keeps them open. Some systems are done electrically and you can remove the plug to the valve.

Victor is the Bentley expert and he may know of a fuse removal process to do this.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:26 AM
Banned
Thanks...

Can you rebember if the failure to the cats was returned to normal once the fuse was put back or i should go to the dealear? Could you remeber wich fuse it was,anything that could help?
from what i understand you have to go back to the dealer because there will still be a warning light. i dont remember which fuse, look in your service handboox and it will be there.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:28 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Gcalo
This is the same scenario as Ferrari and Maserati as well as a few other cars.

The valves serve two purposes: a) they keep unburnt gasses in the system longer to burn until revs increase; b) they reduce exhaust noise at low RPM's.

They are vacuum actuated, and you can remove and plug the vacuum line to the valve which keeps them open. Some systems are done electrically and you can remove the plug to the valve.

Victor is the Bentley expert and he may know of a fuse removal process to do this.
actually whats interesting with the bentley continental series, the lower rpm's sound better IMO, but the high rpms sound more like a deep sounding mercedes because winding up.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:50 AM
Former Vendor
HZ@RSC is a splendid one to beholdHZ@RSC is a splendid one to beholdHZ@RSC is a splendid one to beholdHZ@RSC is a splendid one to beholdHZ@RSC is a splendid one to beholdHZ@RSC is a splendid one to beholdHZ@RSC is a splendid one to behold
Just like on the AM's fully by passing the valves makes the car think there is an open loop condition and has the car run too rich.. IF you want better sound performance and weight savings go with a sport exhaust.. We carry the QuickSilver sport system for the GT,GTC,Spur and Speed and it sounds amazing and more importantly keeps the proper low end back pressure so you wont have any failures or loss of low end torque... Send me a PM I will be happy to extend special price discounts to 6 Speed members

Old 06-27-2008, 11:06 AM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by HZ@RSC
Just like on the AM's fully by passing the valves makes the car think there is an open loop condition and has the car run too rich.. ---
Wow that's odd!

Those valves usually have no effect on mixture but this is an interesting statement for sure!

The better exhaust does make good sense though.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:26 AM
Former Vendor
HZ@RSC is a splendid one to beholdHZ@RSC is a splendid one to beholdHZ@RSC is a splendid one to beholdHZ@RSC is a splendid one to beholdHZ@RSC is a splendid one to beholdHZ@RSC is a splendid one to beholdHZ@RSC is a splendid one to behold
Dont want to overstate.. but on the AMV8 systems puling the 22 fuse would result in a rich condition, The valves are vaccuum actuated units and have a purpose beyond DB control, The system look for a cerrtain level of backpressure at low throttle .. opening the valves would create an open condition

Old 06-27-2008, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by HZ@RSC
---The system look for a cerrtain level of backpressure at low throttle .. opening the valves would create an open condition
I do not understand how this is possible.

Of what benefit is backpressure?

I read the OEM manufacturer's statement as to the purpose for these exhaust valves.

No where is there any mention of "backpressure" requirement or the system going to a rich condition.

The vales are there to ensure that unburned gasses at low RPM's are burned!

Can you expand on this if you know? I ask only for further info and certainly not to challenge you.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:57 AM
Ok,i understan,i did this modification to my porsche pse and there swas no problem.... In my opinion the valves serve just as an eu DB health and safety thing. So ,guys,doesnt anyone know where i cam make the modification to keep them open,where is the pump or the wires to the pump,or the fuse to stop them,anything?

Old 07-02-2008, 06:40 PM
.... In my opinion the valves serve just as an eu DB health and safety thing.---
Their purpose is two-fold as I above stated.

On the 360/430's it's a simple procedure to remove the vacuum line to the valve and to plug it with a golf tee or bend it over and clamp it.

I do not know the Porsche or Bentley procedures but they should be the same.

It makes absolutely no sense that a "rich" condition would occur when they open. Their purpose is to ensure unburned gasses ae burned at lower rpm's! Why would more gas be called?

Old 07-04-2008, 07:24 AM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by vk430gt
its a long story, he was negotiating with the dealer and was 90% sure that he was getting a silver lake one with blue and saddle interior. but i posted about it on f-chat and then he didnt get the car and i had to cover up about it and said a bunch of lies, it got nasty, but im over it. he ended up not getting a gtc because he didnt want to have two of the same car even though he has a bentley fs and a gt speed, and then he had a gt2 997 on order with a gt3rs 997 in his garage and decided to give up his gt2 position for the same reason. but now listen to this, my mom wants a used gtc for her magic 50th and now my dad is looking in to one lol. talk about wife power.. I though i had persuasive skills.
The vaginal wrench is the most powerful tool in the world.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Continental GTC exhaust valves