Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

anyone use a battery charger on their bentley?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 06:30 AM
gcrandall is an unknown quantity at this point
Charge Both Batteries?

First post here...I have a 2013 Speed Le Mans edition. I have the factory Bentley charger with the metal plate that affixes to the boot. I put it on the car for the entire winter and it started easily after 4 months of inactivity.

Sent it in for fluids change last week, and the shop told me that I need to charge "both" batteries, not just the start battery. I figured the Bentley charger did both batteries in parallel. I've read a couple of threads and see no reference to charging both sides.

If this is the case and I need to put a CTEK on the second battery, which one is the boot charger charging, and which one do I need to put a second charger on?

Thanks for any advice.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:32 AM
jim2331 can only hope to improve
....hello...how long have you had the 13Speed...is it the 8cyl or 12...how does that start stop thing work and can you shut it off...on the battery...did you receive a "Service Handbook" when you bought your car...I bought two new 10Speeds and did not get the handbook with either. For another reason I also got a 2006 CGT and it had the handbook...when I asked dealer for the book on 10Speeds...I was told no longer provided...I pursued matter and did get new "Service Handbook"...in book it says charge both batterys...you should get a volt meter that tells you charge in battery....in 6 years I never charged either battery...the "Main" battery (the Left) went dead so I installed a new Sears Diehard ($175) The "Starter" battery (Right) still going strong, showing full charge. It took me many hours to change battery because I was going very slow and with Johnny's direction able to get it done...Except physically getting 60 pound battery out. A friend climbed in trunk and lifted out and put in new one...I believe when car being used both batterys receive charge...JimB

Old 03-27-2017, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by jim2331
....hello...how long have you had the 13Speed...is it the 8cyl or 12...how does that start stop thing work and can you shut it off...on the battery...did you receive a "Service Handbook" when you bought your car...I bought two new 10Speeds and did not get the handbook with either. For another reason I also got a 2006 CGT and it had the handbook...when I asked dealer for the book on 10Speeds...I was told no longer provided...I pursued matter and did get new "Service Handbook"...in book it says charge both batterys...you should get a volt meter that tells you charge in battery....in 6 years I never charged either battery...the "Main" battery (the Left) went dead so I installed a new Sears Diehard ($175) The "Starter" battery (Right) still going strong, showing full charge. It took me many hours to change battery because I was going very slow and with Johnny's direction able to get it done...Except physically getting 60 pound battery out. A friend climbed in trunk and lifted out and put in new one...I believe when car being used both batterys receive charge...JimB
I just picked it up in the fall. Pretty much a new car as it never got driven. I don't know if you are familiar with the Bentley charger that affixes to a disk on the boot. I believe you are saying that only charges the starter battery (right), and that I would need a separate charger for the main (left)?

Old 03-27-2017, 09:14 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
Hi.

I just checked in IETIS and it states that you charge by connecting to the main battery. There is no mention of the back up/starter battery. That is charged by the battery management system when the engine is running.
It also states that a 24 hour charge period is required if the batteries are totally flat.

If a battery has been flat for an extended period, then it is most likely goosed. This is due to de-sulphurisation and hardening of the plates.

Once the engine is running, the alternator charges both batteries as required.

Hope that helps.

Les.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:16 AM
....did you get the Bentley charger with your car....mine have a half inch round connection plug, inside the plug is one pin and one female socket...is your connection point on car same as just described...JimB

Old 03-27-2017, 09:19 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
Jim.

The Speed models are all W12.

The V8's are the GT V8 and the GT V8S. Coupe & Convertible.

Les.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:38 AM
...thank you Les...from time to time I stop by and chat with sales mgr here who knows much about these cars...he says the 8 cyl. is a fine performer but although he offered, I did not take one for few days...If I was concerned about mileage would buy a Tesla (now being sold in the original old Bentley building here in the City...I am perfectly satisfied with the 10Speed just not pleased with the dealership service...that is very unfortunate, but that is short sighted way business done now a days...I don't use any of the bells and whistles they have added to car...just enjoy the hell out of it....seems like the Bentaga is bombing out...both VW and R.R. (BMW) jumped on the SUV bandwagon....strangley enough, because I put my wife's GTC in her name, the computer in sky likes her as an authority on high end cars...she has many talents but cars not among them...She was given $600 to give her opinion on the proposed R.R. SUV...she told them it was bigger than a HUM-V...a tank...JimB

Old 03-27-2017, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by ExSF
Hi.

I just checked in IETIS and it states that you charge by connecting to the main battery. There is no mention of the back up/starter battery. That is charged by the battery management system when the engine is running.
It also states that a 24 hour charge period is required if the batteries are totally flat.

If a battery has been flat for an extended period, then it is most likely goosed. This is due to de-sulphurisation and hardening of the plates.

Once the engine is running, the alternator charges both batteries as required.

Hope that helps.

Les.
Thanks for the info. What I can't logically determine is that if I park it in the hangar over the winter with the other toys, how does the main battery keep a charge if the Bentley charger only charges the start battery? I would think the main would go flat.

Not knowing this, I left mine on the Bentley charger over the winter thinking it charged both. It started fine after four months, and everything ran fine, but the shop told me I have to start charging the main battery if I'm going to leave it that long. So I guess I need that second charger for extended down times. Hard to get a definitive fix on that.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:45 AM
I failed to answer your other questions. Yes, W12 as another poster noted. There is a button to disengage the annoying auto/off feature. Also, if you put it in sport mode, which IMHO is a must, it disengages it.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:00 AM
...tell me about the Sport Mode...have never used it...I gave up drag racing 50 years ago and road racing just not my thing...a twelve cyl twin turbo Bentley is a very quick machine and when passing on a curvy, hilly, two lane highway (Our Coast Road Rt.1) leaves nothing to be desired...When in Sport Mode does transmission automatic shift to next gear before red lined...JimB

Old 03-27-2017, 10:21 AM
....as previously mentioned get yourself a Voltmeter to test Batter condition...from my notes on subject...if meter shows 12.66V=100% 12.45V=75% 12.24V=50% 12.06V=25%
11.89V=Zero% The original equipment Main (Left) Battery was a German made Varta, I was going to replace with Varta...went to Audi Parts...they never heard of Varta...Here in San Francisco they use American battery with Audi/VW name on battery...that is when I went to Sears DieHard AMG $175...JimB...Dealer wanted $1000 installed

Old 03-27-2017, 12:55 PM
...tell me about the Sport Mode...have never used it...I gave up drag racing 50 years ago and road racing just not my thing...a twelve cyl twin turbo Bentley is a very quick machine and when passing on a curvy, hilly, two lane highway (Our Coast Road Rt.1) leaves nothing to be desired...When in Sport Mode does transmission automatic shift to next gear before red lined...JimB
I'm probably the wrong person to ask. I have a new out of the box 911 Turbo S that is much faster than the Speed, and I only drive that in Sport Mode also. Hangs onto gears a bit longer, and opens some exhaust baffling in both cars...sounds better...

Old 03-27-2017, 03:06 PM
....I had no idea how quick a 911 Turbo is...enjoy it safely...I haven't ever gotten a speeding ticket even back when running a Ferrari Daytona...just matter of luck and picking your spots...JimB

Old 05-24-2017, 01:04 PM
ADUBOIS1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Jrox
I bought the CTek charger - My Bentley tech confirmed it's the same as the OEM without the branding. I went out of town for a quite a while and didn't hook my CG up and when I went to start it, it was bad news. Had to activate the emergency start sequence. Got it running and immediately hooked it up to the CTek. Let it sit overnight and everything was good to go. Now I hook it up as a matter of habit.

The car has (2) batteries so make sure you hook it up to the right one!
Does your get really hot when charging. I did my overnight and the ctec was very hot and the level of charge never went above 3 quarters.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:41 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ADUBOIS1
Does your get really hot when charging. I did my overnight and the ctec was very hot and the level of charge never went above 3 quarters.

Hello ADUBOIS1,
I do not have a C-Tek yet as I am still in the stages of building my GT, BUT ExSF did post on a C-Tek problem and concern back in March of this year, here is what he was posting about, so please check it out and be careful !!

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...&t=1660338&i=0

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: anyone use a battery charger on their bentley?