Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Tire size for 22" wheels Continental GT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 06:52 PM
modena35 is on a distinguished road
Tire size for 22" wheels Continental GT

looking for some advice on tire size for 22" wheels for a GT. Road are not the best here and would like to have as much side wall as possible. Wheels are 22x10 rear and 22x9.5 front

thanks

Old 10-05-2010, 05:48 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Frankly, you have chosen extremely poorly. What you are asking is impossible given the stock clearance of the rim/tire as it pertains to the car's suspension geometry and the bumpy roads you may be seeking to 'mute'.

Try 20-inch maximum, 19 may be better still. The sidewall of the tire is actually a calculated part of the overall suspension dynamics. As such, you need to calculate the springs, shock setting and tire's dynamics to then conclude the overall suspension activity/compliance/etc.

Your choice of 22-inch rims might work if you also have the car lifted about 2 to 3 inches, yet am not sure how the hard bits in the suspension would then allow for clearance for additional tire sizing as it pertains to the sidewall. Am also not familair with the dynamics of the suspension now that you have moved it out of it's stock/inherent operating range as it pertains to camber under operation/etc. There is no data i am familiar with on this line of thought as it has not been achieved, tuned and solved by anyone as best i can recall.

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 10-05-2010 at 05:51 AM.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:54 AM
Psalm40 will become famous soon enoughPsalm40 will become famous soon enough
While Steven is very blunt, and I do recipricate his sentiments exactly...BUT, it can be done. We have all seen GT's lowered with 22"s..the rubber almost non-existant...wheels tucked under the fenders than must have been rolled...not condusive to good driving, but achieving a certain look.

I think your best bet would be to talk to a reputable tire/wheel dealer. You can call TireRack and actually speak to a human and get very good advice.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:40 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you Psalm40 for being so very kind. While i would usually apologize for being so blunt, if whomever sold him 22" rims knew his desires than they should have advised him to get 20". Just hate seeing good people incorrectly advised like that and hopefully he can return the rims for a complete refund. Because he went with such a large diameter rim, the sidewalls will inherently need to be very stiff, as a soft sidewall will cause problems of rolling and thus damage the rims plus perhaps cause some erratic vehicle dynamic behavior. This is incredibly unsafe and could be the cause of an accident, thus damaging such a truly fine automobile. Sure we can try and 'cheat' the law of physics to some degree through creative solutions, yet it is hard to totally break 'the law'.

PS: During my shopping for winter rubber i learned a bit more about the CGT suspension and its limitations (ALL cars have 'limitations'... and for good reasons) as it pertains to absolute tire size and safe steering angle plus wheel well clearance and of course the suspension members. A person with more experience than i helped me realize there were limitations and then i visualized and measured and of course he was right. His experience was of great help, so even i need schooling at times when delving in unfamiliar territory. So when in doubt, seek someone who is professional and experienced in such matters.

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 10-08-2010 at 03:17 AM.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:38 PM
giggalo is a splendid one to beholdgiggalo is a splendid one to beholdgiggalo is a splendid one to beholdgiggalo is a splendid one to beholdgiggalo is a splendid one to beholdgiggalo is a splendid one to beholdgiggalo is a splendid one to behold
I have 22's on the CFS. There are absolutely no clearance problems at the standard ride height. I am running 255/30/22 and 295/25/22 Michelin PS2's

Old 10-06-2010, 06:19 PM
Giggalo,

Wish all due respect, we are discussing bumpy roads and the ability for a tire to aid in reducing the effects of bumps, etc. The sidewalls on your tires are inadequate to help dampen rough roadways.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:37 AM
giggalo is a splendid one to beholdgiggalo is a splendid one to beholdgiggalo is a splendid one to beholdgiggalo is a splendid one to beholdgiggalo is a splendid one to beholdgiggalo is a splendid one to beholdgiggalo is a splendid one to behold
True, it is much bumpier than the stock 19's.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by giggalo
True, it is much bumpier than the stock 19's.
No harm no foul and thank you for chiming in.

My main point is that, and believe me i live in bumpy roadway so get perhaps some of the worst in the country this side of not having to deal with cobblestone roads, is that the tires really do factor in for the suspension and in muting bumps.

i have 19" with stock Perelli tires and have played around with suspension settings and tire pressure. The Perellis seem to hate being under 32 pressure as they understandably 'flat spot' a bit under the sheer weight of the car. At 36 on up it is better for the tires it seems. As for handling bumps, at a certain point adding more pressure makes matters worse. Therefore a balance between avoiding flattening the tires, the tires compliance as it pertains to handling the bumps on the road (in the suspension's softest setting) and 'over inflation' causing too bumpy for my personal desired effect happens. (NOTE: Am avoiding highly spirited driving/HPDE/racing handling in this formula, just simple public roadway driving).

When one removes sidewall quantity, it gets far trickier as there is less soft sidewall rubber to 'play with' for the suspension. Worse still, not only is the larger rim a solid item with zero compliance, the smaller sidewalls inherently need to be somewhat stiff in the tire's construction/makeup. So less sidewall is a double-whammy of sorts. It is not like we have triple/quadruple adjustable shocks to play with and so could make adjustments... and perhaps change internal valving (unless you are just nuts about perfection, flexibility and have redesigned exotic car suspension systems... like me but shall we not go there please).

The new Bugatti, Konnisegg, Pagani and others do offer such user-adjustable settings. Let let us be honest, stock the Bentley is truly a wonderful, enjoyable and all day true Grand Touring fine automobile. Leave her alone as stock and she will bestow miles of smiles in glorious comfort, yet does have Sport setting for those moments you want to go out and play at the road course racetrack.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Are you in the US? I would love to exchange some ideas with you.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:09 AM
Are you in the US? I would love to exchange some ideas with you.
PM sent.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:55 AM
Tattoo is on a distinguished road
I say that if you are going for the "look," you have to just go for what you want and adjust your driving habits accordingly. I have a Continental GT on 24s and I am quite pleased. The ride is a bit rougher, and I have to avoid potholes like the plague, but nothing compares to the reaction of the crowd when I roll through the spot on Friday night.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:08 AM
jess996 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have 22's on the CFS. There are absolutely no clearance problems at the standard ride height. I am running 255/30/22 and 295/25/22 Michelin PS2's
I have a brand new set of Michellin ps2 same size at 255-30-22 front and 295-25-22 rear available for sale if anyone here need it, originally bought from tirerack for my s class but it didn't fit, I will let it go cheap if anyone interest it.

Jess Chen
walnut, california.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by jess996
I have a brand new set of Michellin ps2 same size at 255-30-22 front and 295-25-22 rear available for sale if anyone here need it, originally bought from tirerack for my s class but it didn't fit, I will let it go cheap if anyone interest it.

Jess Chen
walnut, california.
How cheap on the rears shipped to 60007?

Old 10-11-2010, 10:05 PM
jess996 is an unknown quantity at this point
[quote=giggalo;3004738]How cheap on the rears shipped to 60007?[/quote

I prefer sale the whole set.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:27 AM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
I have a FS with the OEM 20's, could not imagine going even a 1/4 in bigger, as it is the car is super heavy and you feel it when you hit a pothole. My advice, return the wheels if possible, and for a unique look, get the OEM black setup,, looks great.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tire size for 22" wheels Continental GT